Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mojo-RX Versatility???
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:41 pm 

Hey everyone!
I'm new on this great site and have a simple newbie question:

I'm looking to buy a Voilé Mojo-RX for this season in France. I'm an intermediate rider but can hold my liquor with the big boys once I've had a few days in the slopes. I undoubtedly plan to use this board on some back-country adventures, but here's my question:

Is the mojo-rx durable enough to handle a few days on the pistes? In other words, will it come apart if I follow my friends to the resort? Please note that I'm not a snowboard expert. I have never owned my own board so all the fancy terms and inside joke analysis on weight, rigidity, handling mean nothing to me. I just need a no bullshit assessment. Will I be scared/disappointed/injured on regular ski pistes or can the board actually function as a real snowboard?

Don't get me wrong. I know why I'm getting a split board - to find the freedom of the hills. I'm just worried it's downright foolish to get one if you also want to use it on the pistes every once in a while. I won't be hurling it off huge kickers - just regular intermediate riding.

Thanks in advance!

Also, anyone know of any other splitboarders in Grenoble?
Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Mojo-RX Versatility???
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:13 pm 

No problem. The construction ov the Mojo is excellent and it will stand up to plenty of rigorous use. It probably isn't the best tool for the terrain park or half pipe, but for general cruising, moguls, steeps, groomers, powder, and chunk it is a great board.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:47 am 

Perfect!
Just the reply I was hoping for!
Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:59 am 

Piste riding works with the Mojo. It will behave as most allmountain/freeride boards.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:26 am 

I live not far from your place (& ride in the Aravis) and I just replaced my voilé Mojo RX with a Jones Solution this season.

The Mojo RX is not a bad board, actually it's a quite good board for powder conditions, it's even pretty good for touring as it's pretty light and it glides well on deep powder, thanks to the rocker

BUT

There is (are) but(s), I wouldn't have replaced this board if it were perfect...

Well, 1st of all, the reason it's light is because it's "monocoque" (single shell/molded) construction - and as we all know, monocoque ski/boards are pretty fragile on the edges - and when the edge is burst (rock...), the board is done (cannot be repaired).

2nd, the board was getting too light... Same problem with touring skis, great for touring but riding sucks... While it was ok in powder, it behaved like a light p*ece of sh*t on crappy snow (too much wobble).

3rd, the board was not stiff enough for huge drops & couloirs - I couldn't trust it in 45-55 degrees drops, not sure it would hold me well enough (and it didn't...)

Overall, it's great to start splitboarding on easy tours (30-35 degrees max in goog powder) and if you can get it packed with the voilé light rail bindings, you've got a good deal.

This year, I'm pretty happy with the Jones Solution and don't think I will replace it (well except maybe for a solution carbon :)) but if I had to start all over again, I think I'd go for a homemade split, in France, you can get a good old board in great conditions for 50-100 EUR (my favorite is the F2 Eliminator LTD), split it yourself on the cheap and have great riding experience - and that's what I'm going to do for my friends :

F2 Eliminiator LTD ~164 : 100 EUR
Snowboard binding laying around : 0 EUR
Karakoram tip/tail clips : 12 EUR
Voilé hooks : 22 EUR
Australian Pucks I can use on the 4x4 inserts: 60 EUR
Voilé Plates: 10x2, 20 EUR
Voilé Pins: 12x2, 24 EUR
Voilé skins (wait for a discount): 100 EUR

Total cost around 300 EUR... and the day you want to replace your board, you'd just have to get a new 100 EUR board, split it and move the hardware from the old one to the new one...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:09 am 

I don't usually care to give reviews about boards or bindings cause I think a board is something you adapt to and it really comes down to the riders skill level more than anything else. There's always going to be pro's and cons to every board, NO BOARD will ever be perfect and when people start saying there stuff is, that's a huge red flag that person is not being honest. I've always been about the DIY set up for many reason's but had the opportunity to get on a Voile Rx last year. I find most reviews interesting cause everyone has such a different perspective, it's got to be so confusing for anyone who's looking to throw down the chunk of money it takes to get a factory made split. I thought it would be interesting to compare and contrast my opinions to Jln, I'm not trying to slam anyones opinions I agree with most everything just thought it would be interesting and I have some free time on my hands.

I've got about 60 days on the mojo so far. I'm a weekend warrior but manage to get out 1 to 2 times a week for personal sanity and happiness. I love everything about snowboarding minus the TWS scene. I love to lap short jib lines, go for big one and done lines, super tour and mellow mtneering objectives. I ride Oct-July BC only, no resorts. I'm in Utah so I'm riding Pow most the time but we get our highpressure days and have a pretty great spring-summer season. My day has to include as many poppers and cliff droppers as possible I just find that to be the most fun thing to do on a snowboard. (Might seem like pointless information but I think a rider's style plays into there overall opinions)

I wanted to respond to a couple of Jln points.

Quote:
Well, 1st of all, the reason it's light is because it's "monocoque" (single shell/molded) construction - and as we all know, monocoque ski/boards are pretty fragile on the edges - and when the edge is burst (rock...), the board is done (cannot be repaired).

I have no clue what "monocoque" is but your right this board is super light. It's probably one of the best qualities of the board. What people don't understand is Voile has always built sidewalled boards up until the Mojo. The splitboard community for years was screaming to the 3-4 companies that were around way back when "we want lighter boards" if you want a board that feels like a resort/solid board the first place to start was with weight (A main reason I have and still am all about DIY). While in theory this may make the board "fragile". My experimental experiences have been different. I've made plenty full contacts with rocks and had a full blown collision with a sharp rock that took out a large chunk of my base, to the core and had me running tail between my legs to lapping pre-season groomers for a month straight. Because Voile chose not to place die cuts in their base the shop was able to repair the base to where it's hard to find the core shot it blends so well in the black base (unfortunately I don't think it will stick through spring just too gnarly a core shot, but still the board took it and has been solid.) Also I've only blown one edge on a sidewalled board, I spent a lot of money to repair it and it lasted two days. A blown edge is a blown edge.

Quote:
2nd, the board was getting too light... Same problem with touring skis, great for touring but riding sucks... While it was ok in powder, it behaved like a light p*ece of sh*t on crappy snow (too much wobble).

I agree with this but only noticed when riding through frozen chunder like through the remains of a previous days frozen wet slide activity. Smooth or even frozen corn I found it to do well but for these conditions I can't imagine the side cut radius and extreme taper would be a benefit. This is primarily a powder board so you take a hit with these conditions. But again for the weight and overall versatility of the board you've got to take a hit somewhere and this is probably it.

Quote:
3rd, the board was not stiff enough for huge drops & couloirs - I couldn't trust it in 45-55 degrees drops, not sure it would hold me well enough (and it didn't...)

I found this to be the most interesting comment cause by far the #1 complaint against Voile is the stiffness of the board. Most people think this board is over the top stiff. I wasn't sure what to think about this until I hopped on a super soft board for a day of shredding last year. After that experience I was sold on stiff board with rocker. It is the perfect balance for a touring board (e.g. a splitboard). Heres why, when people say it's all about the down, their kidding themselves and it's probably a red flag if your looking to get more than a couple k's of vert that day you better think twice about touring with that person. Fact of the matter is the majority of your time will be spent getting to the top and if you can't do that in an efficient way you killing yourself for the down. A stiff board is essential for the tour, packing out a track, finding an edge on an icy slopes these things require you to be constantly stomping on variable snow. You want a board and interface for that matter that can handle it. I find the less flex in these conditions the more solid/confident and efficient the tour is. And while it may take a bit of the surf out your pow turns with the rocker and shape it rides pow like no other. I also found the shape, stiffness and rocker to be the perfect landing gear for hitting poppers and cliff droppers. Like I said that's what I'm looking for and love this board for that specifically.(I am only 145lbs, pretty small dude, that could be a reason for our difference)

Quote:
This year, I'm pretty happy with the Jones Solution and don't think I will replace it (well except maybe for a solution carbon :)) but if I had to start all over again, I think I'd go for a homemade split, in France, you can get a good old board in great conditions for 50-100 EUR (my favorite is the F2 Eliminator LTD), split it yourself on the cheap and have great riding experience - and that's what I'm going to do for my friends :

Since everyone makes a point to comment about the Voile interface and boards in Karakorem or Spark or Jones threads I can't help but make a comment on the JONES boards. I'm as big of fan of JJ as anyone and love his movies, but I've had multiple opportunities to check out the Jones boards. Maybe not ride one which based on my in hands expereince must be required because the quality of what I've seen with JONES boards is crap. And based on what they are willing to put out on the floor of a store like REI I would never give my money to a company like JONES. I think a company should take pride in the quality of there boards it's should be what there reputation is staked on. You can have amazing, innovative board designs but if you don't have the quality to back it up in my opinion it doesn't matter. My suggestion to anyone is to check these boards out in person and do a side by side comparison to other splits before buying. The quality of the prior and Voile board compared to the JONES at the REI I went to resently was undeniable and I question anyone who says otherwise.

There's a saying " your smarter than you look". This saying sums up Voile. They are a smarter company than they look. Where they've failed is to market their product. They've failed to define themselves as a snowboard company and what there left with is a customer base that rants and raves and is as loyal as it gets when it comes to their ski's but is laughed at by the mainstream snowboard/splitboard community. Not because there products or dedication is lacking but because they failed to sell themselves to this particular customer base. The Voile interface is ingenous it planes the two boards creating a larger amount of suface contact compared to two contact points with other interface systems.Kind of like inner magna, why would you want 4 points of contact when you can have 100% contact with a straight inner edge, makes absolutely no sense yet it sells boards. Voile's is self cleaning, simple and proven to last hundreds of hundreds of days without issue, it's light. Because the chines hooks overlap they limit the board halve movements better than the K clips when there not set perfect. 4 out 5 boards I've checked out with k clips had the same or more movement between board halves than the k's and the one that didn't was on so tight it Ued out the board like crazy, no thanks. Ideally you have a k-clip infused chinese hook. That way they combine both strengths. I like the ability to twist my hooks out of the way to aide in the efficiency of a tight track. Couldn't do that with my DIY and really appreciate it now, plus it's so much more clean looking in my opinion.

Anyways like I said I had some time on my hands and Jln great comments gave me a nice outline to organize my thoughts and give my two cents. Something I've been meaning to do for a while, so thanks and please don't think I'm slamming just thought it was interesting how our perspective were so different, yet the same. I think there are tons of great boards out there and I think people should definetely consider this board and company as just one of the other great American based companies that have been pushing BC riding. Voile definetely needs to step up there game. You could argue it's too late but we'll see maybe they'll suprise us all. I'm with Jln though DIY are a great way to go, and since I spent my 5 year splitboard budget all on some overhyped boots I'll probably be looking DIY as well.