Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about V-Tail, trees, pillows, etc.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:55 am 

I want to buy Voile V-Tail for deep powder, open slopes and speed, but I like to ride trees & pillows also.
Need your advice on pillows and cliffs especially. I like to jump and to drop. How will V-Tail specifically and swallowtails in common work? Don't want to buy a freestyle splitboard either.

Post subject: Re: Question about V-Tail, trees, pillows, etc.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:09 am 

PSA: Wilderness Exchange has a 2011-2012 V-tail 160 cm for great price! ON SALE: $399.95

http://www.wildernessexchangeunlimited.com/snowsports/splitboards/voile/v-tail-splitboard-deck-only-2011-2012-pid-6321.cfm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:16 pm 

Metelya wrote:
I want to buy Voile V-Tail for deep powder, open slopes and speed, but I like to ride trees & pillows also.
Need your advice on pillows and cliffs especially. I like to jump and to drop. How will V-Tail specifically and swallowtails in common work? Don't want to buy a freestyle splitboard either.

If you are easily put-off by things unfamiliar you probably won't like this design for what you are asking.
If on the other hand you are adaptable and open to letting the ride come to you; a swallowtail will do anything you want to do. Unless of course you 'want' to ride ice and breakable crust. In which case board choice is the least of your problems :wink:
Lastly, unless you are an unusually small male human or average size lady, a 160cm swallowtail is just silly. But Voile's design is proven and well executed.

Cheers :guinness:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 am 

Thanks, guys!

Snurfer, your advice is more than complete. Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:01 am 

Really Snurfer, you don't have to worry about snapping the tail in pillows or hucking? Or is it that one generally wouldn't break out the V-tail on days with less than puffy (read: shock absorbing) snow.
I have seen a broken fin on a V-tail rinding resort snow (a hard turn on corduroy en-route to pow) and a split-V that tended to hull on less-than-fluffy snow. That guy ended up essentially "catching an edge" but from the center. He blamed it on the lack of a clip or two behind his rear leg.
Neither of these were on Voilés btw.
'Course I live in SoCal and pow has been a rare commodity the past few years. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:44 pm 

Hans, good point. hucking probably carries that risk. Personally I don't huck cliffs, but I've done some really stupid bushwhack riding and put a ridiculous amount of torque on tails, wrapped them around and wedged them between trees, yet the fleet remains intact. Seriously, the worst enemy of the swally is crust, hook a tail and you'll forever be able to sniff out crust from a thousand meters. :cry:

The Voile and Wasatch pictured below have very strong tails. And yeah, I'd never drop something that wasn't cushy, but I'm on bad knees and pushing the half century mark so my idea of dropping something is pretty tame.

Only hulling I've experienced on any board was with K-clips and that was a twin board, not a swally.

My resort board (Yoda at top) is bomber and stiff, it eats groomers like pudding. The Voile 195 has been my main splitboard for several years. The Chimera saw thirty + days last season, super fun, but careful not to snag those talons!