Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: artisan/palidrome
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 pm 

Anyone had a chance to ride a newer version of the Voile Palindrome Splitboard just wondering if there has been any improvements made, like improvement in ski mode (see lots of complaints about that), possible weight reductions currently 162 is at 8lbs not sure with or without hardware. I considered this board along with a few others and I'm just trying to get some feedback on this one. I hear great things about the construction of the board, wondering how it does on steeps, high speed, jumps, drops, deep pow things like that. Considering Prior AMF and Jones Mtn Twin also.

Thanx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:13 am 

New Ride: 165 wide Artisan

I started on a diy Burton that had no life left on it anyway and broke it buttering over a drop on Mt. Mansfield in VT. This was basic camber wide board. Next was a 166 Mojo Voile that i put about 50 days on in one and a third winters. This was cambered and lots of taper from front to back. The great thing about this board was how it handled in powder. You never had to sit in the back seat and wear you legs out. It was heavy and not overly tough. In the end it began delamming along my heel side edge. In one day it went from oh shit i think my board is starting to separate to, I'll call Voile and see what they think i should do with a quart of epoxy... Well those boys said send the board in and we'll assess the damage. Welcome my new 165 wide beautiful board.

This board first off its lighter, wider, tighter on board mode, diesel side walls inside and out, and the camber under foot and rocker out makes multiple contact points when pressed along the effective edge. (I'm not tech savvy so pics prob won't happen) This board holds so tight on crud, it was like carving on brand new magnetraction. The only down hill issue i have is its extreme need for me to sit back in the seat to keep the nose up. I had read that it being a directional twin that i should keep my stance pretty darn centered and it should be great. I have always set up towards the back on all my boards even my banana Skunkape. I think that i will adjust next season to a back seat driver. The skinning and edge hold is killer. I have hiked in some very sketchy terrain and have been able to each my edges in easy and feel super confident when switch backing and side hilling. The two heel risers are sweet and three standard sorry one minted facing the tail is so easy to get up and down. And the giant tall one is tiring to use but i was going strait up some steep powdery slopes easily pushing 30 degree plus. The weight is a little too centered at the toe pivot so when switch backing you do have to work the tip up instead of it just doing it on its own. But it needs like 2cm and then it will be perfect.

Ok Mount Washington got 4+ inches i have to go, peace! Oh and sorry in advance i didn't proof read.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:28 pm 

Been riding my Artisan 162 for a couple months now and have had it out in all kinds of conditions. Really is a great board, very fun to ride. I've ridden exclusively cambered boards up until the Artisan so there was a very small learning curve moving to a rockered board, but am now having a blast on it. Really like how easy it is to jump from edge to edge and get up on the nose and tail.
I seem to have almost the exact opposite experience as Chef_Ben regarding powder and ice. Found it to require no effort at all to float powder but less than ideal for bullet proof ice... seems to not ride as well on ice as my cambered boards. Also, seems to be a little less reliable than my other boards skinning on ice. But, the more I ride it the more I figure out how to compensate and make it work on hard stuff. I may be having better luck than Chef_Ben with powder due to the fact that I do have my stance set back a bit.... I tried to set it up so that my feet are over the "camber-under-foot" parts of the profile. I'd imagine that would be the ideal place to be set up for hard conditions as well.
I've had it out a few times a week for the past couple months, bc and resort and so far shows no sign of abuse, still looks new! Sidewalls are holding up nicely even after being bashed against rock once or twice.
Stoked on the graphics too, particularly in comparison to the old Voile graphics I've been looking at for the last 7 years:

Thanks again to sb.com and Voile for hooking me up at the Cali split-party raffle.
Oh, and also... I needed to do some hardware re-arranging between this and my old boards and needed a few mounting screws. Voile was kind enough to send them to me in Canada free of charge, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 am 

my voile artisan arrived in the mail yesterday, and i took it out for a quick tour after work. i had been riding an old split decision for about 10 years. the difference was shocking. the artisian rides like a dream in pow. it was hard to believe a splitboard could ride so well. i will update when i get bigger tours and different conditions under my belt. so far, my mind is blown away...

Voile Artisan- 162W
Burton Driver X/ LaSportiva Spantik

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:27 pm 

I think that's the best handle I've ever seen. Welcome to the board Heady! :rock:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:48 pm 

long time lurker- first time poster. i am getting out on a good tour this weekend with the artisan- i will post more observations.

Voile Artisan- 162W

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:26 pm 

i took the artisan on a four hour tour off of highway 82 in between leadville and aspen. the conditions were full on spring. there was weird juju in the air and many north facing aspects were sliding. my friend and i decided to keep our lines to south facing aspects which avoided weird run outs and terrain traps.

some observations: the board is heavy- this is a negative on the up (heavy sucks on the way up), but a positive on the way down (lots of control). the board skinned very well, but not much better than my 10 year old split decision (which i never had a problem skinning with). i thought the board held an edge significantly better than my old board. i had to cross one section of steep, hard packed, wind blown snow and i was able to cross the section efficiently and quickly. i felt the change over was simple and quick- faster and more efficient to change over with the artisan than the split decision. we rode two different big lines (1000+ vert). going down the board rode like a dream. we had perfect cream corn conditions. i could not believe how well the board rode. the rocker/camber mix is perfect. the board responds well. can be buttered a little and has a bit of pop. it felt like i went from riding an old lincoln to a ferrari. so much fun on the way down- and that is the most important observation (imho). i would recommend this board to anyone- i do not think you would be disappointed.

another note: i bought another voile for two reasons. the first, i could pro deal voile. the price was right. however, this late in the season, many other brands are offering their boards for pro deal prices (or very close to pro deal prices). the second, and more important, is that my old board lasted me 10+ years. voile makes boards that are built to last and can take a huge beating. if my new board can take half the beating my old board did, i will be so stoked.

Voile Artisan- 162W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:37 pm 

I just picked up a 162 W voile artisan.. First splitboard! Took an avy course last year with snowshoes.. Ready to split the San Fran peaks! I will post how it is in a very very long time seeing as it is July..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:24 am 

I have used an Artisan 162 (I am really light and need a shorter board) for multiple tours in Alaska now, mostly around Palmer, some around the Girdwood glaciers. The Chugach doesn't have snow this year. I use the old-style pin Spark Fuzes with Mr. Chomps crampons and G3 skins. I thought the board's nose sunk a little too easily at first but I placed my bindings back a few holes and now I am in love. Flying/floating/surfing/awesome: all of the above. Skinning up is fine (especially with the crampons) but the way down is heavenly. I usually run steep powder and carve it up but the board doesn't get too sloppy when it comes time to point the nose straight down at the end of a line.

The construction is seamless. The board fits together solidly. Voile drilled their holes straight and on target. I have hit rocks, hard. The board has very few scratches. Also, the skins come off easier on the Artisan than my franken-Ride. Different finish on the base? I always hit my tails together when kick turning but this board only shows little scuff marks while my other board has peeling laminate.

I have caught some air and dropped on flats. Very forgiving. I also am wheelying/manualing out of the cliff-droppers smoother than I have on my full camber boards. Not on purpose, but this is just what happens in steep angles. The playfulness come in handy. The play/flex/pop in the board reminds me of why I switched from skiing.

I also like how it looks, which is kind of important because I stare at my skis (board?) for six hours every weekend when I am skinning around.

Cons:
-Before I had the crampons I was wishing for a full camber for the increased skin contact on the way up. On hard skin tracks, the rocker shape leaves the tip and tail contact-less. It has to be stupid steep to get to the point of slipping though. That said, breaking new tracks is much more pleasant with the rocker (hybrid i guess) profile. The nose naturally floats with each step instead of trying to grip something hard and sinking like before

-Binding holes are centered too far forward for powder (just move your bindings back, even if it looks wierd!)

-No way to hook it to my dog to pull me up the mountain.

Pros:
- It is a FUN board. Reminds me of my park rat teenage days and my powder-hunting skiing youth all at one time. Inspires enough confidence to not just get down the mountain but to actually play with the features of the slope.
-Well built (no gaps in middle=I get to use ying-yang clips which are much easier/less annoying than the k-clips)

-Looks cool. People with Arbors, Jones and other wooden-light graphic boards will think you are cool. (note sarcasm).

-Its cheap (I paid 380 something at SierraTrading Post with a coupon)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:42 pm 

not a lot to add from a long term durability pov but I'd like to add a few thoughts in the hopes folks at Voile at least hear, if not listen..

Was lucky to pick up a 165 Artisan at last year's Wasatch Splitfest :D Was and still am very impressed with the build quality and tolerances. Going to sidewall, going with an aggresive b/c shape. A buddy now rides it and loves the board, zero problems with construction, etc as I expected.

Having a swallowtail and a camrock board is selling at the two extremes. Voile needs a slightly tapered, moderately directional S-Rocker with bomber sidewall construction. I'd buy one. It would probably be my go to split. Not a big fan of the see-saw nature of camrock. Even if you set back properly to reduce the see-saw you generate the same problem riding switch, so what's the point of having a twin-ish board?