Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: artisan/palidrome
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:56 pm 

wondering what you think of it if you are riding one. I'm looking for an all-around board. Something it's not too stiff. So mostly I'm interested in the flex. But also I'm wondering how it does on hard pack (riding and climbing). And anything else you'd like to share about the board.

Post subject: Re: artisan/palidrome
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:05 pm 

Got a chance to ride the Palindrom. What an awesome ride, its super playfull and has good float in deep stuff. I didnt ride much for hardpack, but it was a tracked out day with about 11" of fresh at a resort. Didn't tour on the board, but my current full reverse camber board does decent, I would expect the palindrom to tour slightly better than a standard reverse camber deck. Flex is probably medium-stiff, its no plank, but its certainly no park pickle. After one ride, I would def recommend it to anyone looking for a good pow/all around board. You will sacrific some skinning efficiency, but its a worthy sacrifice for how well it rides on the down.

My partner rode the womens artisan board. She commented that it was very stable and playfull, but thought that it was too soft. Keep in mind though, she typically ride a mens 155 reverse camber split, its a Monument Momento Mori, and is one of the sitter boards in the Monument lineup. The mens Artisan is a medium stiff (a little more than the womens board of course) board from talking with their sales rep.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:11 pm 

Just won a Artisan at the sb.com Donner split party last weekend (woo-hoo!). Haven't ridden it yet, but like C2BS I'd describe the flex as "medium". I'll try to write up some useful observations after I get it on the snow a few times. Been searching around for reviews of the Artisan myself, seems they are hard to come by.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:08 pm 

I had one for a short bit as well, ended up trading it to a buddy in need that was still riding an old burton split. The fit and finish seemed pretty tight and I was itching to get it out on the slopes.. may end up getting one next year to see how the cam rock differs from the tapered pow board I'm currently on.

Very interested in the topsheet/base durability, as they seem to be a good board that's maybe getting undervalued because of past models.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:26 am 

Guys
Had one of my team riders on a 159 Artisan for the end of our season and he's just finished a stint in Japow and now heading off to AK for Heli assisted Splitting at Points North.
He was going to take a 162 to Japan but stuck with his 159 and said it was great.
Taking the 159 to AK from the sounds of things too!
He normally rides a 152.
I'll post his write up when sends it to me.
From all reports he's given it a beating and the base and topsheet are still in mint condition , even after some road ridding in JP.
Probably the most under rated board of the season.

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:31 pm 

Chair2BoardSports wrote:
You will sacrific some skinning efficiency, but its a worthy sacrifice for how well it rides on the down

How so ? Just wondering cause I'm considering a Voile Palindrome and trying to get some info on it, not too much out there about that board.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:38 am 

One thing to keep in mind also is that Voile is building boards almost completely different than they have in the past. They bought out a company (which the name escapes me) for the sole purpose of putting the board designer at that company to work for them. The new line of boards in on par if not better than any factory split on the market. Whatever had or has been said in the past about Voile boards is stricken from the record, they are a totally new board with a completely new design and team behind them.

I may sound a little biased, but I do not ride nor work for Voile, I just met their in house sales rep in person at VertFest last week and we chatted for quite some time about their new boards. He let me take a few laps on the palindrome and I loved it, and I also got to chat with Neil Provo who has been recently added to their team about his board and what they have been working on. It's just all around good stuff and good folks.

LPowhuntr wrote:
Chair2BoardSports wrote:
You will sacrific some skinning efficiency, but its a worthy sacrifice for how well it rides on the down

How so ? Just wondering cause I'm considering a Voile Palindrome and trying to get some info on it, not too much out there about that board.

As with any rockered board, where the board starts to raise, the grip on the skin stops. With a full cambered board, when you step on the board it flatens out and the entire length of the skin is in contact with the snow. With a rockered board, the only part touching the snow is directly underfoot. You loose a ton of surface area contact with the skin, and therefor loose a fair amount of grip. I have found that using high traction skins (my preference is Voile tractor skins, but G3/Spark are known to also have awesome grip) and carry a set of split crampons, you will be fine. Its basically a small sacrifice that you can overcome with proper skinning technique and good equipment. I think its worth it because the boards float soooo good in the deep!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 pm 

Ben Harmon from Sentury Snowboards was acquired by Voile which all the new designs are based from. I have ridden a few of their shapes and the Palendrome (Sentury Sync) was my favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:47 pm 

Chair2BoardSports wrote:
Neil Provo who has been recently added to their team

Hopefully Neil can chime in at some point when he gets some free time, see lots of pics floating around of him on the Artisan. BTW, got my Artisan out on snow for the first time this morning, so far I'm stoked!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:54 pm 

Currently a thread for an Arbor FS.. on CL the owner says:

Brand new, still in shrinkwrap, splitboard that i bought for a present to myself. When i sent my Voile in for warranty repairs, i thought they wouldn't fix or replace it but they did replace it and i liked the Artisan better.

not exactly a nuanced review but thought it was interesting. Also, note from buddy on the Artisan I gave him:

"playful, bouncy, good pop"

The only dig I've heard on the new Voiles is on the shapes, which is a valid point. I'd like to see something that is 2/3rds the way from an Artisan to a V-tail, only with sidewall constuction and a S-rocker shape.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:27 pm 

Thanks for all the feedback and all your comments have been very helpful. One thing good about living in a ski town is that I can go in the stores and look at the boards in person. So I ended up getting the Palindrome because I think Palindrome has more flex overall than Artisan (I might be wrong).

By the way, I'm very impressed by Voile. I don't know why nobody has written about it, but voile's new puck alignment guide is AWESOME. You know it's pain in the ass to set up your Sparks bindings because Voile and Sparks have different binding length? NOT ANYMORE. Voile has changed their system to match Sparks'. That's a company that puts customers' convenience before their egos. Imagine that. :thumpsup:

Anyway, I'll write up my own opinion/review on Palindrome once I get it on the snow this week.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 pm 

Got few days of riding on Palindrome. This week Montucky is experiencing a melt down, so the conditions started from powder on Monday, to breakable crust, corn and finally wet glop on Thursday. Anyway, I agree with what others said about the ride on Palindrome; stable and responsive. I was carrying an overnight pack, and I felt the board handled the weight pretty well. Most of all, I didn't feel like I have to muscle the board to make it turn, even when I was feeling tired from a long trip.

In ski mode it was as scary as expected when traversing on hard pack slopes, but I guess that's typical for a rocker board. However, because of its twin shape, the nose has the same flex as the tail. I felt that gave the nose a better grip on firm snow compared to other boards with a softer nose.

One thing I didn't like about the board was its weight. At size 162, the board weight was listed as 8 lb on Voile's website. So it's more on the heavier side compared to other boards on the market. I had a Rome White Room before this, so I really felt the added weight. But Palindrome felt sturdier and has more meat to it compared to White Room (lasted 2 seasons). Palindrome seems very well made and high quality in craftsmanship.

Overall, Palindrome rides very differently (in the good way) than Voile's older models like Mojo, thanks to Ben Harmon. I think a lot of people were turned away from Artisan and Palindrome because they didn't like how Voile boards used to ride (myself included). So Voile might be better off marketing their boards under the name Sentury. Also, with MSRP at $850, the board is not cheap (that used to be THE advantage of buying a Voile board). I might be wrong, I thought Voile boards used to come with skins. So if you minus the $150 for the hardware (which a lot of people don't use anyway), the board itself is $700. I'm not sure that's a good pricing for Voile, considering all the competitions out there these days.

Despite few flaws, my initial impression for Palindrome was still top notch. The ride was awesome, it handled most conditions pretty well. The skin was good, except on hard pack. The construction of the board was high quality (I love the see-through top sheet and the graphics). I'm quite happy with it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:35 pm 

Any updated reviews of the Artisan as the season closes up (north america).