Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: powder surf explosion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:00 am 

well there are more powdersurf choices this year then every before. get your hands on a starfish if you can for all the different brands. quick run down, you have grassroots in utah, circuit in nelson bc, some guy outside of stevens pass, december on the east coast and wolle's asmeo if your feeling rich. Florida powderskate has a 3d base powsurf coming out this winter too, he's in southern california. Also seems that there were some guys up in central bc making noboard specific subs that would be worth a try.

Post subject: Re: powder surf explosion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:46 am 

The guy outside of Stevens is shark snowsurf I beloved and mark fawcett is making all his boards based on the ability to ride up with or without bindings.

I am just trying to decide if I want to buy someone else's board or try and make my own skate deck laminate style...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:45 am 

The shark snowsurf decks are incredible craftsmanship and super lightweight bamboo. Can't wait to get mine out in the coming weeks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:03 am 

KennyGPorters wrote:
The guy outside of Stevens is shark snowsurf I beloved and mark fawcett is making all his boards based on the ability to ride up with or without bindings.

I am just trying to decide if I want to buy someone else's board or try and make my own skate deck laminate style...

a common thread with many who I meet riding without bindings is the desire to make it yourself. its practically part of the sport and I encourage you to take that step, its a blast to ride something you made, few sports offer that as easily as bindingless riding.

buying one already made, though, helps these guys buy more material and keep making improvements to their set ups so its a win win imo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:13 am 

one difference that you'll find is that the grassroots are totally stiff, no flex, that gives tons of pop and makes landing big hits easier imo. maybe its because I've seen jeremy land ridiculous pillow lines in person, or maybe its cause he's a stud but those surfs stand out as different then most you'll see. wolle's promise the slight ability to control on hardpack, its not like carving it's more like powersliding on a skateboard i hear. FPS I'm guessing will have that same advantage. the others are totally flat across and will flex similar to a regular snowboard. really you shouldn't be buying one to ride on anything less then 5 inches of fluff anyways but you never know what you'll encounter. If your into lots of turns or jumping and tricks you'll want to figure that out cause different boards will have different strengths.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:50 am 

I also saw that wolle nyvelt is starting to sell asmo boards and they look killer but the price is pretty high.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:10 pm 

yea 1k is really expensive when you compare it to all the other things out there. its such a simple thing and people have had fun on some pretty hillbilly set ups but if you have the cash, they do look nice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:03 pm 

The Shark Snowsurf guy's mawkish attempt to coin snow surfing a "new sport" fails. I think that's what we were saying about snowboarding in wood shop and powder fields "snow surfing" back in the 1980s. It's all snowboarding. Nice boards there.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:25 pm 

its a new look at an old idea. I'm kinda surprised that there isnt a continuous line of no binding riding from the snurfer to now. the snodad is the oldest contemporary attemp at pow surfing. that was 94ish I think.
Oops forgot sbout the swingbo which was mid 80's, if you start with snurfer, then the sims flying yellow banana, then swingbo, then snodad, noboard to today, kinda a continuous line. noboard was late nineties early 2000? then the bidecks and singles...