Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meet Wolfgang "Wolle" Nyvelt Interview
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 am 

I sat down to interview Wolle about about surfing on snow. Does he use magnets in his boots, yep!

http://mtnweekly.com/wolfgang-nyvelt-interview-61485

Snowboarding’s roots can be tracked back to the early days of surfing and skating, when the waves were flat surfers would ride skateboards around town (and still do) mimicking surf turns on the pavement. Years later these same surfers found themselves riding mountains of snow and so the sport of snowboarding was born. Today, a few snowboarders have gone back in time by ditching traditional snowboarding bindings for the freedom of riding pow just like a surfboard. One of the leaders and inventors in this modern movement is Wolfgang Nyvelt aka Wolle.

MWN: You have been crushing it snowboarding, surfing, skating and now powsurfing, how do you balance a multi sport lifestyle?

Wolle: Well I started skateboarding first and when the winter came around it was almost a natural switch from the skis to the snowboard. I had been skiing for more then 12 years and been around mountains forever so that was really something cool to be skateboarding on snow, I was hooked right away. Surfing kind of came along that way, we are quite a ways from the surf so it took a while to get a driving license, car and so on to get down there. Once I started though I was not able to stop, it’s once of the raddest things besides sliding on snow on earth. Its just so fun to do all those things and with snowboarding you are limited to a few month per year so for the rest of your time you need something to be sideways on.

MWN: To date I think your the only guy to ride without bindings via a heli in Haines, what was that experience like. ( I only know this as I asked to ride my powsurfer with Seandog at Alaska Heliskiing and they mentioned you were the first and only)

Wolle: Maybe that could be true, I’m not too sure about that but if Seandog says that, it must be true, haha. First I took the Salomon Powsnowskate up there and later the Äsmo. Both were super fun and exciting too, as you don’t want to blow it and hold up your crew but it worked out fine. I never got a full powsurf crew together which would make for an all-time session.

I know Al Clark and some other no boarders took the heli at Eagle Pass and had some wicked sessions.

To keep reading the rest of the interview CLICK HERE

Post subject: Re: Meet Wolfgang "Wolle" Nyvelt Interview
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:29 pm 

Mike Hardaker wrote:

Whuut? :shock:
:headbang:
"Untracked pillow lines" FTW!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:11 pm 

Wolle: Maybe that could be true, I’m not too sure about that but if Seandog says that, it must be true, haha.

Looks like its time to make a visit to Haines again this year Mike

thanks for sharing this. His riding is out of this world. Working on some DIY no-boards myself

Cheers!

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:25 am 

thanks for posting. he really is fun to watch. liked this quote

Wolle: For me it was something to get a feel for what snowboarding was in the very start, building your own boards and figuring stuff out along the way, to be free of opinions and rules. Also to get that surf influence was a key ingredient for me, like taking the Winterstick, and Fish shapes and concepts and redesign them to make them work for boards without bindings. Too see how far ahead some of those concepts were is mind-blowing and to see stuff like that resurface again in snowboarding is rad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:22 am 

Travis Young wrote:
Wolle: Maybe that could be true, I’m not too sure about that but if Seandog says that, it must be true, haha.

Looks like its time to make a visit to Haines again this year Mike

thanks for sharing this. His riding is out of this world. Working on some DIY no-boards myself

Cheers!

Indeed Travis! Can't wait to get in the bird with you again this spring up in Haines. With our Noboards!!!!