Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pacific coast wanderings cont.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:59 pm 

if you are looking for snow click that back button now, sorry none here. just some shots of "off-season" fun. sorry also if this is a bit long but i got time and lots of story to tell from another in a string of epic surf weekends. now apologies aside, on with the show. :rock: :guinness: :doobie: :disco: :thumpsup:

september is a great time for surfing on the california coast. during our last 3day weekend i had planned to go up north, way way way way up north. at least thats how it feels coming from la. with the summer heat peaking, the idea of cold water and cold nights in nor cal sounded really appealing.

my main objective for the weekend was to surf new spots on the cali coast north of the sonoma coast, as i have never been surfing in that zone. the primary destination i had in mind was point arena, but i was very curious about a lot of coastline south and north of there.

after a long drive to get north of santa rosa, i got up early on sat morn and headed out to the coast. the route i planned to take was an obscure road that put me on the north end of familiar ground along sonoma coast in an area close to the sea ranch.

most spots were small to flat but this one random beach at the sea ranch had very solid surf. nobody out. my kind of place. there was a nice peak on the north end of the beach.

the south end had a few good lefts coming in, its hard to tell but its definitely overhead.

lots of these winged critters everywhere

a bit farther up the coast, officially in mendocino county, schooner gulch is nice beach with some major potential, but flat this day. aparrently a good left breaks up the beach. i'd like to see this spot when its good. i bet its empty!

there were some interesting orange colored rocks on the point at the north end of the beach, where there was also a good small right breaking.

sat was a very good day. i ended up finding this incredible beachbreak north of point arena town, called manchester state beach. i really lucked into some fine conditions with nobody around! perfect overhead a-frames. glassy. kind of foggy. i got the feeling like this was a one in a million find. its so rare to have glassy conditions late in the day in CA, and this beach seems like its really exposed to a lot of huge swell so good sandbars are probably not too common.

after the great surf of manchester beach i pulled up at a cozy campground and spent the night out there. then i was hanging around point arena on sunday waiting for a good swell to show up, but as the day wore on i grew impatient. i wanted to surf the right reef at point area, but it just was not really happening. it was very small and barely working. so i played tourist and checked out the area then decided to head up the coast and see what wonders awaited.

point arena is a really cool place. its a very very small town on the cali coast with not much going on. there is a little cove with a fishing pier and several good surf spots.

again i feel like maybe i lucked out with some really nice weather, warm temps and not much fog. some random inn at the pa cove.

the lighthouse there in pa is a fun time. worth it for the views - if its not foggy.

you can climb up the stairs to the top. just make sure you dont get behind overweight out of shape tourists.

the old school lens, no longer in service

finally i began heading north with plans to end up somewhere on the coast in humboldt county.
below are some shots of random spots along the way. it looked like the swell was coming up, and hitting better farther north where it was also more exposed.

this could be the next big wave spot...it was seriously big here. very solid lines were pouring over this reef. nobody out and access looked difficult. a big cliff led to a heavy shorepound. then a long paddle through sharky water no doubt. this is one of those places that had i been with someone else and they were willing to go out, i might have attempted it, but as big as it was here, i didnt want to tempt this place alone.

just north from that ?unnammed? reef was another mysto spot firing. i was started to freak out. looking at all these big waves with nobody out. i guess thats just the average day for most nor cal spots. these spots are somewhere north of fort bragg on the way to the humboldt coast. still mendocino county though.

so after a very long and winding drive i finally arrived on the humboldt coast and this is what it looked like

but there was good surf and some nice spots that could handle the swell were waiting just around the corner.

this was a really sweet spot and again i lucked into some really good waves. nobody out. perfect conditions. overhead sets.

one of the unwritten rules of surfing (there are many!) is - dont leave good surf.
well i made a 4 hour trip to get to this spot and it surely paid off! some humboldt county kind.

sunset and camping here were really cool. the surf roared all night and kept me awake, knowing that i would be out in it again at 1st light.

morning dreamtime surf lineup perfect waves - lefts - im goofyfoot - all to myself.

easy to forget the shark danger in these waters when surfing waves like this. part of me wanted someone else to come out just to reduce the statistical odds of becoming breakfast for whitey.

it really is an enchanted land. my 1st surfing in humboldt county was very rewarding, well worth the efforts just to visit a place like this, let alone catch good waves.

well then after my monday morning session in humboldt i decided i better start making my way south. i figured i would swing back by point arena again just to see if i could get the point good. turns out the persistence paid off. at about 4pm on monday, when most sane folk would be well on their way rolling down the 5 freeway back home, i rolled into the cove at point arena and saw some perfect waves breaking. this would definitely turn out to be the peak of my adventure right here. the spot really is a great wave, but im sure many days its not so good here.

one last mendocindo coast scenic.

and now the main attraction at pa cove >>>

its more of a reef than a true point but it sure does come alive in the right conditions

the locals really have this wave dialed in. now i know the stereotype of how nasty the locals are here -and maybe they are to people who dont show respect - but i found the coolest vibe in the water. it was one of the many factors that really made this session the standout for the weekend. maybe i just enjoyed the company, as everywhere else i surfed that weekend was so empty.

everyone was catching their share of waves and even the groms were ripping it up.

so after an amazing day i decided there was no easy way back to the 101 fwy, and just drove the coast down sonoma way, soaking up the sunset and saying my goodbyes to the beautiful lands, coast, and ocean of nor cal. i will leave you with some parting shots of the last light along the sonoma coast

Post subject: Re: pacific coast wanderings cont.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:38 pm 

damn nice pics, looks like a great trip. thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:43 pm 

sweet trip/pics D! :headbang: :rock: :disco:

fullers2oh wrote:
so after a very long and winding drive i finally arrived on the humboldt coast and this is what it looked like

Shelter Cove area?

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:06 am 

This is becoming an annual TR, I look forward to it everytime. Makes the point you can find adventure anywhere, you just gots to be creative. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:29 am 

Nice Dave. Welcome to the north coast. You were probably out with some locals I know in PA. Yeah, no vibe up there at all and several skate ramps in the hills too. I've been schooled by that right break before.

What spots in Humbolt? Moonstone and north?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:37 pm 

Swwweeeeet dude. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:50 pm 

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

fullers need some tips mate.
I am goofy foot too, but for some strange reason I find it easier to drop right-handers and have the wave on my back... Friends call me weird for that. :lol:
I guess my take offs are wrong when I try for left-handers because I don't seem to be able to mount the longboard on the wave. If you have any tips they are greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:59 pm 

Very nice...its been a while since I've been down that way...thanks for the reminder and the stoke!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:38 am 

Right on Dave! Next time you're headin up to Sonoma Coast hit me up for some beta! I went to Santa Rosa JC and surfed that coast pretty regularly for 2 1/2 years. It's a nicely kept secret that Nor Cal (the real nor cal) coast is great in the summer and soaks up the lefts!

Did you check out Sea Ranch in northern Sonoma County? Your pictures bring back many fond (hazy) memories!

You need to get up here to visit me sometime this winter!

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:41 am 

tsondaboy wrote:

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

fullers need some tips mate.
I am goofy foot too, but for some strange reason I find it easier to drop right-handers and have the wave on my back... Friends call me weird for that. :lol:
I guess my take offs are wrong when I try for left-handers because I don't seem to be able to mount the longboard on the wave. If you have any tips they are greatly appreciated.

I went on a trip to baja one summer for several weeks and surfed nothing but lefts and I (regular) came back with the same ailment! Now I'm functionally retarded surfing backside though :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:13 pm 

That looks like an awesome weather window you hit. I've been to the lighthouse several times and it's always been foggy/raining :scratch: . Looks like it was a cool vacation though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:43 pm 

thx for all the comments. jbay how can you go to baja and surf only lefts? WTF its all rights down there :D

pj, i want to return at least once this fall so if you are up for it lets organize something when it looks like swell and conditons line up. even though i dont skate i like to check out these place you speak of, it sounds like fun. yeah i bet you got worked, it seems like when its more powerful and bigger it would not be fun to get washed in over the rocks there.

96 - yeah it may be somewhere like that :D

anyway i wanted to reply to tsondaboy with some suggestions. 1st i will say i cant give you solid advice without watching you surf to see what you are doing. that being said i know a few beginners and even some seasoned vets who do prefer riding backside to the wave. nothing wrong with that. its just a comfort factor that i think you have grown into. my 1st thought is what type of breaks do you mostly surf? peaks? if so try a point left, that will force you to face the wave and get the mechanics of riding frontside down. if you always have a choice, and are more comfy going right, then thats probably the way you will go, and get better at it. so just going left more will make a difference. 2nd, as a beginner it may be hard for you to drop in and then bottom turn, again i cant say without seeing you, but i think backside the instinct is more to drop in sideways with the rail already set. when you are going left maybe try looking in that direction and, similar to snowboarding, keep the ctr of gravity low, shoulders in the direction you want to head. does any of this make sense?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:13 pm 

truly great weather window - how come Ocean Beach rarely looks like that! where is the blown-out, white capped, foggy waves??

i was just down in Socal (San Diego & Ventura) last week myself on a little surf safari. waves were smaller but very fun. and of course surfing in board shorts was awesome. Fullers2oh - what is your normal break? we hit up Swamis, Tamarack, Blacks, Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Rincon & Ventura Point.