Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elephanthead 5-1
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:07 pm 

Ok so I think I might just start calling these TR's "Old guys kicking my ass". Anyways, we got an early start for us which meant leaving town at 6 a.m. and arriving at the trailhead around 7. We got things together and started bootpacking around 7:30 a.m. We got to stay in the shade most of the way which was nice considering no one had sunscreen(I still managed to get cooked). This peak is very unique and was a great trip with good people(even if they are skiers) and even better weather. We were the first people to the peak and reaped the rewards: Nice dry may powder!!!! Enough of my blabbering here's some pics.

the trailhead is decievingly snowy

here's me at the creek crossing about 1/4 mile from trailhead

Tom and Bruce (i.e. two older guys kicking my ass) and maci in a recent burn area

Our goal, Elephanthead, coming into view

And a little closer, notice the lack of tracks, yummy

I'm starting the climb here

And here's my dog Ghost

Cairn on summit, where the old guys beat me by almost an hour(burton risers suck)

Some views:

Livingston Peak

Blacktail peak, definitely burned in my brain

Can you say double fall line?

Now only five miles back out

Me and ghost coming down. That edge drops quite a bit on the other side.

Kevin riding down with our tracks next to him

a little zoomed out, you can see the skin track on the right

and a little further

and Tom crossing on the way out

On our way out we ran into three other groups(8 people). We were heading out by 1 p.m. and the snow was getting pretty heavy by then. I don't know what the last two guys were doing as they wouldn't be at the summit until around 3. Seeing some of the terrain further back in there makes me really want to do an overnighter. Some many lines so little time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:10 pm 

Glad someone could reap the may pow!! Maybe this next weekend, I keep telling myself - that is, of course, if the powder's still there. Great Northern couloir?

Blacktail looks sick!! A must for next year. How's the skin in there?

Nice job with the tr. The old guys always kick ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:45 pm 

nomad-
If you went in from elephanthead it would be probably close to 9 miles I'd imagine plus we had to boot it for about a mile and a half before slapping on the skins , but I understand you can access it from sluice creek(sp?) and get there quicker. I'll have to look into it more, check some maps. Oh yeah I forgot to mention that on the way down we were pushing the limits on what was rideable and bruce snapped a ski when he buried it under a huge root. He was lucky the ski was all that broke, however it was fun watching him ski the trail with one ski.

Great northern eh? How far in is that? Gotta move a bunch of stuff this weekend and the woman wants to go camping so no riding for me.............. Or maybe I could convince her to camp at Battle Ridge :shock: Anyways aren't you heading for AK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:02 am 

Beautiful man, just beautiful...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:56 am 

Niiice. Gorgeous day and killer mountains. Do you know people who've boarded/skiied from the summit of Blacktail?

Call me a pussy but that looks pretty insane. [/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:56 am 

Niiice. Gorgeous day and killer mountains. Do you know people who've boarded/skiied from the summit of Blacktail?

Call me a pussy but that looks pretty insane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:14 am 

I don't know of anyone who has ridden it from the summit, but from what I could tell(forgot the binoculars) there's no way to make it from the summit. The chutes lookers left of the peak and the shoulder in the foreground are what I was looking at. With all the resident badasses that are/were in this town I'm sure they have been skied. Check out a book called, "Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone" by Tom Turiano, and you'll get a taste of some descents that have been made by people like Alex Lowe, Hans Saari, Kris Ericsson, and many others that show up repeatedly in this book. It is somehat remote and you have bears to worry about also though, so who knows. Like I said I'm definitely gonna do some looking into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:50 am 

good chit LLS!

great lookin lines...go get em! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:51 am 

Way to get after it Lifelinksplit. Looks like some sweeeeeeet Greater Yellowstone Lines. Looking around our backyard, it makes me realize that there really is no need to go to Alaska. We have just as sick lines around these parts, and Tom Turiano does a great job of outlining these lines plus having skied many of them himself!

Memorial Weekend I am hoping to experience one of these classic lines he writes about in Select Peaks, the Skillet Glacier on Mt. Moran. I am praying for good conditions.

Way to get after it!

WSR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:56 am 

Wyomingsplit_ride wrote:
Looking around our backyard, it makes me realize that there really is no need to go to Alaska. We have just as sick lines around these parts,

Let's not get tooooo carried away. ;) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:57 am 

I think that there is great potential to ski from the summit...what do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:05 pm 

BCR-come on now...look at this mountain above...looks just as good as Alaska to me. What blows a persons mind away is that if you get on ANY of the Greater Yellowstone Peaks there are couloirs, bowls, mountains for as far as the eye can see. Thousands of miles from Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Just depends on how hard you want to work.

I talked to Tom Turiano about this on a trip we did and he got a big grin and said that is why he didn't need to travel the world in search big mountains. This coming from an Exum Guide and ski pioneer in the area who has skied with the very best of the best.

You need to come on out here and visit...I bet we can convince you.

The Sierras are cool too :!: :D Similar instance and example..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:09 pm 

That line on the right is exactly what i was talking about when I said the shoulder in the foreground. I don't know about the summit line though, I'd have to see the other side of the ridge, looks kinda narrow but hard to tell from this angle.

WSR-
I have a buddy who is supposed to make an attempt on the skillet this weekend, but doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate.