Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Good luck Dan! (solo Sierra crest tour)

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good luck Dan! (solo Sierra crest tour)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:27 pm 

Hey -

I just wanted to publicly say good luck to my buddy Dan, who is leaving in a couple days to do a solo Sierra crest tour. He's a (insert Dr. Evil finger quote marks) "telemarker", but we won't hold that against him right?! :)

In his own words:

Quote:
My nominal goal is to ski along the Sierra crest from Matterhorn peak to Mt Whitney. The route generally follows the John Muir trail, deviating in places to follow routes with higher altitude and better snow. I will leave one cache south of mammoth at Ruby lake, off of the Rock creek trail head.

I will be following the route laid out in John Moynier's "Backcountry Skiing California's High Sierra", with the following exceptions:

1. I will be traveling north to south, as opposed to south to north as described in the book.
2. I will be piecing together the 7 sections of the crest trail that Moynier divides the route into. The continuation from one route to another is relatively obvious.
3. I will be starting at Matterhorn pk (Moynier does not include this) and ending at Whitney portal (Moynier's route begins further south at Horshoe Meadows).

Talk about hardcore! Good luck Dan. I have no chance of keeping up with you when you get back from this... And if anyone here happens to run into a rad telemarker that you can't keep up with, say hi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:33 pm 

Right on Dan! Sounds peaceful, exciting, ambitious, character building and lonely all at the same time - a perfect adventure.

I've got to say if I ever get the nads and rope to try this trip, I think I would tend to agree with Moynier about going from South to North. Two reasons being: 1. All of the descents would be on North Facing lines, 2. the wind and sun wouldn't be in your face as much.

........as I write this from a cushy chair in a 68 degree house with a bathroom right around the corner.

Good luck to Dan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:08 am 

Good luck Dan!!!

dont forget to post a TR too! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:34 pm 

Yeah! Good luck Dan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:19 pm 

Dan just called me with what must be the last juice in the battery of the satellite phone he rented for the trip. He's on the summit of Mt. Whitney right now, and is about to ski down. He made his goal!! He said the views are incredible, and it's a bluebird day. This is the 22nd day of his solo Sierra crest tour. Un-freakin'-believable! :shock: The man is a stud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:42 pm 

That is an impressive trip. I imagine he hardly saw anyone. If Dan can post a report that would be an extremely interesting read. Congrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:17 am 

very impressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:25 pm 

Awesome! :D