Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hellroaring Hut 4/1-4/4
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:57 pm 

A couple of weeks ago myself, bridgerhippy, my boss, and two other guys went into the centennials and stayed at hellroaring ski adventures hut. We had two splitters, one tele, and three AT. The hut is actually two wall tents, one for a kitchen and one with the bunks. we headed in early on friday and got into camp with plenty of time for a couple of laps. It was a great time and snow wasn't half bad. Well anyways pics are better than words.

here we are dropping off the big packs and getting ready for a couple laps.

skinning up with owners dog

getting switched over

sure beats a tent

nightime crib

Day 2
Travis at a fun little creek crossing

Bridgerhippy skinning

noticed this on our way

sooo we were a little worried but everything tested good. Here's steve isolating a column. BTW this guy is 55 and kicked our ass touring all weekend.

here's what we skied. The one on the left.

Noah pretty much kited the whole time. It looked pretty cool, but seemed pretty tough to learn.

here's the slope that killed one and severely injured another earlier this year in january.

did I mention we ate really good? I think I put on a few pounds

Mt Jefferson

And finally, you gotta have refreshment at the end of the day.

Sorry for lack of riding pics but we were lazy and shot some video for the riding. Also we got about 4 inches of new snow the last day which made for some good turns. We were conservative in our choice of terrain due to the naturals we saw but didn't encounter any instability while riding.

got one riding pic from my boss of me surfing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:06 am 

that looks sweet. did you find any gear from that accident that happened up there. i'm good friends with a guy who was severaly hurt in the centennials and that group lost some gear. i'm not sure if it is the same hut or not but it looks the same and the story sounds the same. we are planning a trip in there this spring to look for the lost poles, skis, and cameras. any info would be great. glad to hear you all made it out safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:26 am 

Man that looks great.... OHHH it was great.
dtimms- We did not find any gear but we did not look. I hope you friend is OK.
BH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:41 am 

thanks BH, i still plan on skinning in this spring to look. my buddy just got his prostethic leg last week and is looking forward to skiing again next season. any of you bozemanites want to skin up blackmore this spring? those are some sweet pics. i'm going out this week with the snow we are getting right now. might be a little sketchy though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:58 pm 

Sorry to hear about your friend, at least he is still gonna be able to ride. The plant manager here is neighbors with your buddy. We definitely took it easy out there like I said and made sure to follow protocol. It's a great area with lots of possibilities. Blackmore is supposed to be skiing good right now, but I'd be super careful with this new snow and wet slides. I plan on heading to the roots this weekend. Oh yeah, you guys might wanna wait quite a awhile as you can see in the pic of our pit that there is still quite a bit of snow out there. We only dug down past six feet and there was still around another foot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:23 pm 

nice job with the TR. Where are you headed in the roots?

I think I'll probably try to avoid Blackmore until the snow cover thins, since the skin in is such a haul considering the length of the turns.

Beehive's getting thin on the skin in, but still plenty of snow up further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:24 pm 

I think I'll probably try to avoid Blackmore until the snow cover thins, since the skin in is such a haul considering the length of the turns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:24 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:59 pm 

Nomad-
I agree about blackmore. A little bit too much of a slog for what you get, but it sure is popular. I'm probably heading to the bell lake area. Need 4-wheel for the road still though. My boss went there on sat or sunday and the pics looked good. here's a teaser:

I'm there on sat to hit that pretty looking chute(you decide which one) if I can get the OK from the woman as I have been gone every weekend for the past couple weeks and we are trying to find a new place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:21 pm 

Right on LLS!

Looks like a fun area and nice accommodations. Cool snowpack pics too.

Thanks for sharing.

good luck on the upcoming mission and hall pass. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:37 pm 

Very cool to see pics of Hellroaring, thanks for sharing. I was in there in 99 and 00 when Reed Sanders R.I.P. operated the place. Thats got to be one of the best wall tent setups I've ever seen, the custom skylights are a great touch. Oh yea and the riding out there aint so bad either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:22 am 

Quote:
Thats got to be one of the best wall tent setups I've ever seen, the custom skylights are a great touch.

I agree the skylights are great. We kept waking up through the night to check on snowfall and it lets in a good amount of light.