Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PowMow sidecountry
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:47 pm 

With little, or no new snow being reported south of I-80, I took a chance and went to PowMow for some lift assisted BC riding.

My first skin took me up the cat track to Lightning Ridge where I dropped in off the face. I'd planned to hit an untouched James Peak, but the cat driver told me it was closed. (Heli Chumps) After this unremarkable ride through powder coated crust, I decided to bail on that area and go to hit the east facing side of the canyon (AKA Powder Country).

The initial plunge into this area (south facing) was really crusty. But after a short skin up an untouched northeast facing slope I found some decent pow. Albeit, the exit to the canyon road to catch the bus was brutal! Solid hard ice snow. Completely unforgiving and painful.

After I caught the bus back up to the lodge I stayed up high and just skinned back up the decent snow, lapping the place with the good powder. Then after one final exit through "pain alley" I was done.

All in all not a bad day, but I must say our snowpack is in bad shape.

Off Lightning Ridge

James Peak

It looks like good snow

Ah, yes, its good snow!

Snowbasin in the distance

The upper half (the good part) of todays line

Post subject: Re: PowMow sidecountry
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:49 pm 

Looks like a nice bluebird for you. Just wondering if anyone knows how often they close James peak?

Post subject: Re: PowMow sidecountry
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:21 pm 

powchar wrote:
Looks like a nice bluebird for you. Just wondering if anyone knows how often they close James peak?

Good question. It was tough to watch the heli folks claiming it after being told it was closed. :x