Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jake rides Mad River Glen
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:31 am 

I had always wanted to ride Mad River Glen on my split but considered it far too risky to try. There is a rumor in the Mad River Valley about a mythical Great White Wolf spirit animal conjured by the local tele community to keep Snowboarders away from General Starks' Mountain.

The three pinners perform some bizarre, unholy rituals involving dropping to their knees, chanting and who knows what other unspeakable acts. Eventually they call the spirit of the wolf to stay behind and guard their stash......

The wolf is rumored to be all over the mountain, guarding the mythical single chair from below......

[/img]Image[img]

and from above

[/img]Image[img]

This April's snowfall has been epic, and so, despite the risk, I knew I had to try to ride the Glen.

I entered covertly in ski mode at a discrete location. With help from sympathetic partisans, I had nearly made it to the top of Chute, when the wolf was suddenly upon me without warning.

[/img]Image[img]

I cowered and was resigned to my horrific fate. Suddenly, the Wolf stopped his attack, looked at my board and saw my "Craig Kelley is my Copilot" sticker. The great beast opened his jaws, released my board and spoke to me very clearly....

"I see you know the Kelley. All those who carry the sign of the Kelley are blessed and are worthy of further knowledge You may pass and have your eyes opened."

"For years I have shredded this mountain, appearing as a simple wolf to the unenlightened (aka skiers), but for those who have eyes open to see........"

With that the wolf dropped in on his Toe-side , sent up a spray of pow and was off down Chute........

[/img]Image[img]

Briefly, I saw the snowboarder within the Wolf, set loose on the flanks of Telemark's holiest Grail.....

[/img]Image[img]

At times, I could not distinguish Wolf from Rider.....

[/img]Image[img]

Finally, wolf and rider both disappeared down the mountain and I was left alone again

[/img]Image[img]

[/img]Image[img]

All that was left was evidence of their carnage on the slopes:
[/img]Image[img]

[/img]

I left for home pondering the lessons learned from the day.

Thanks to the MRG locals for touring me around such a beautiful mountain.

The part of the Great White Wolf was played by Jake (AKA The Great White Wussy). Seen here in the Single Chair with his PBT (Personal Biscuit Transporter)
[img][img]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t238/robwill56/photosfromhome103.jpg[/img][/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:16 am 

Maybe the dumbshits wouldn't have to raise 1.54 million to save their shitty singlechair if they ALLOWED boarders. Assholes. Anyway,nice work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:20 am 

Skinning up ski only areas= NICE! Ive been wanting to go do the same at Taos one of these years..........

good story and cool dog!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:21 am 

Thanks, he's a good dog. My kids named him Jake Burton - we thought it would be a good idea to see Jake Burton finally ride Mad River Glen.

Really cool mountain, particularly without the moguls. Wonder if we could get the National Forest folks to ban skiers there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:07 pm 

Good stuff!

I kind of agree that if they would allow snowboarding at the Glen, they wouldn't have money issue! The single chair would be paid for... But if they allow tele (which became popular after snowboarding), why are they allowed? SHouldn't it be "alpine" skiing only?

I'm sure i'll head out there on two planks some day... Always looks fun...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:18 pm 

"Craig Kelley is my Copilot." awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:56 am 

Hey Coyne,

Mad River is probably done for the year soon, but I saw you were at Tucks - any idea if Gulf of Slides will be doable on Sunday? Best if could skin up and ride all the way out to the parking lot...

Thanks,

VTrider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:05 am 

Aww man. I still haven't made it up to Washington this year... should this be the weekend? Hmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:38 am 

Nice action man!

Jake looks stoked too! 8)