Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st t.r. - mt. marcy(ny's highest peak)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:12 pm 

After moving back east a few years ago, i havent had much opportunity to get on the splitboard. with april snowstorms in the adirondaks, that would change things. ive been talking about riding mt. marcy for a while now, and finally plans were put into place. i was able to talk my friend Sparky into the idea of riding off ny's highest peak (5,344'), he brought along a friend and it was game on. we started the trip with a 4hr ride to the high peaks region of upstate ny, where we left the car at the adirondak loj. from there we had a skin (and hike) in of about 2 miles. this is where we would set up camp for the night in a lean- to. The tour consisits of 14.8 miles round trip and a vertical drop of just over 3,000'. We awoke Sun. morning and left camp around 7:30 am and began the 5 or so mile hike up through thick forest. finally after a good 3 1/2 hours or so we were finally able to see our destination. another hour or so later i switched to boot mode and climbed to the top of ny. We sat on the summit for a while and enjoyed the amazing weather and the views that came with it. The descent involved some postholing and traversing once off the top bowl, but then the tight east coast tree skiing came into play and the ride back down to camp was fast and narrow. most of the treed descent was only 3-4 feet wide. Finally after a 10 hour day we arrived back at the lean- to at 5:30 pm. we cooked some dinner and all passed out early. monday we awoke to some great weather packed up camp and began the 2 mile skin out. on the way out of town, we stopped to check out some waterfalls. what a way to end a great trip with good company. here are some pics of the weekend: enjoy!
olympic ski jumps- lake placid ny
first view of our destination
entering the trailhead at adk loj
view from marcy dam
sun setting at camp
camp for the weekend
nysplitter skinning up (no skin track and alot of snowshoers)
crossing this bridge on the way down was fun
marcy finally comes into view
finally at the summit with some nice views
nysplitter on top of ny
nysplitter taking advatage of late april snow in the daks
looking back at our lines
waterfalls on the way home
Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:20 pm 

Great TR!

I've never been to Marcy... Looks awsome! Not as much snow as i tought there would be with all the snow that got dumped in VT in April...

Great EC Stoke!
:D
:thatrocks: