Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Joe's Spring Break

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joe's Spring Break
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:09 pm 

It was my buddy Joe's spring break from nursing school and Joe needed a Backcountry fix. Torn between Utah and the Sierra a little snow 3 days before departure sealed it. We were going north.
The trip started with a late night arrival at Virginia lakes. Sun came up a little late thanks to the time change. An alpine start this was not.
Joe was doing it in style. Even if he had to cook

After a good meal it was time to skin. South Peak was todays target

Skinning up

Dutchmarc and Matt

Soon we were on top. I think matt was stoked

Matt drops in

and rips

Me droppin in

The Dutchmarc in action

He liked it so much he did a wheelie

And Joe too

We found it to be a little hard on top. Then we hit the trees

It was a quick ride down to camp but a good first day.

Camp relaxation

Saturday we set our sights on this peak

Joe on the upswing

Me and Dutch

Dutchmarc in the surf mode

Then Me

And Joe

We put up a few tracks

We did another short lap of a nice treed section and then headin in to camp

To get the grill ready

We were sitting by the fire watching the sun set and we see this BIG ASS MOTORHOME barrelin down on us. The driver took his eyes off the road to look at us. He looked back at the road just in time to see the big snowbank across the road. BIG ASS MOTORHOME goes into antilock mode. Tires squeal. He did stop but just in time

Three guys inside. A photographer, an "older" hippie in a tie dye T shirt and a drinking sidekick. Just out crusin the Sierra. They drank a few by the fire and then headed on

We drove down to Mammoth for some hot spring soakin. that night we were visited by two other guys

No ,not splitters,wrecker drivers. Thats who we had to call to get Dutchmarcs car unlocked after it "malfunctioned" and locked his keys inside itself

Sunday morning we woke up along the Owens river. All the steam is from hot springs just for soakin

Drove to town for good coffee and then headed out to the crest.."Mammoth Crest"

There was a marathon going on at the Tamarack Cross country ski area

To get to the goods you have to skin the nordic trails for a mile or so. These guys flying by made me feel like Johhy Slowskins grandpa.

When we started uphill they were no where in sight.We knew where we were headed. Red Cone Bowl

I gave Joe the choice of dropping from the top of the cone or doing the Rock Chute next to it. Joe picked the chute. I told hi I should go down with his camera and take a shot of him. He fell for that and I dropped first

I got down in the chocke and waited for Joe

We got to lay some great tracks

The drainage out was fun too

The weather was nice and the fish were biting

Joe had a great time. Said he cant wait till next spring break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:39 am 

Tex....nice stuff man. I love how you westerners bring out the fireplace and tastey food. I am jealous of the hot springs too. Did you break out your new camera and get some good shooting in? Hope you are still planning on coming back this way this spring to ride some lines.
WSR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:32 am 

I learned it al from you. I have the mattress set up in the truck and as far as the fire , it is usually a sin in California but I carry the fire pit in case a Ranger comes up.
And the hot springs are the bomb.
I did take the big camera. Got some great climbing shots but the riding shots I still have to work on.
I want to be there for spring but is your lines melting as fast as ours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:48 am 

Nice P420. Sorry, I'm having a hard time calling you Tex.

Too bad we didn't connect that weekend. Looks like good turns. Was anyone else out there?

Good to see you got Marc out with ya.

With that huge pack, you'd better be carrrying all your film gear, and a 12 pack. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:54 am 

Yeah I wish we could have hooked up PJ. Turns were good but man its barren out there. As far as the big pack, I feel like I joined the army. About 50 lbs with tripod . Hope i get some usable footage some day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:10 am 

Nice pink Nalgene Tex!! :) And why didn't you show those cross country-ers a thing or two? This is where a whippet comes in real handy.

Nice shots, looks like you found some great snow. Good to see it's still out there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:56 am 

I gotta get out of this no snow zone :cry: Late season start :cry: Early season end :cry: I need some cheese with my :cry:
Great TR and awesome lines TEX and company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:50 pm 

Nice roadtrip. Sierras rulez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:18 pm 

Nice TR there Tex.

^ I bet that was fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:40 pm 

Dang, what day did you guys hit the crest. I was staying right there @ whatever those golf course condo place is...sherwin creek?

ugh, anyways...Sonora was pretty good. Down low was burned off and you can drive REAL far up the road on the eastside. North facing up high was windblown but then there was actually some pow. Other lines corned up nice.

Virginia Lakes looks hammered.

We did laps and necked it hard too.
Dropped a 15', not bad for me. Team Summit out of Fresno area was up there a couple weekends ago and rode up some nasty chutes.
They look like good boarding lines. There were maybe 8-10 other sledders in the parking lot and we only saw 2 up in the mountains all day.
Even w/ lots of terrain shut down it's big and pretty easy to get to the other side of a hill for quiet. First time I did't see the rangers out there riding too.

We saw DM on the way home.
Good to see you guys hitting it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:15 pm 

Very Cool Tex! thxs for the TR. Geat weekend, missed PJ & Crew. Maybe next time.

Spotted MT Rider going 75+ with 2 sleds on I395. Noticed F350 from miles awaY!! had to be Mr T. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:30 am 

Nice TR! Way to get after it. South Peak has snow in those twin east chutes, but it looked boney on the sides for early April.

If I am not mistaken this peak below is Black Mountain and that run to the right down to the lake we call "Fisherman's Chute", because usually there are ice fishermen on the lake when you come down (not this season because everything is a month early and fishing season hasn't started yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:22 pm 

Thanks KS. I was wondering what they called the run on black mountain. We also saw someone had laid down some NICE tracks on the north west side of south peak down to the lake below it. The snow in that area was money. I wanted to hit that but others kept saying it looked icy. About 20 minutes later we looked over and the tracks were there. Definately not icy