Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pow and Ptex - Mammoth 06/07....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:56 pm 

Greetings from Mammoth!

So at long last I have crawled out from under my lurkers rock. After hearing the grumbling that no one was reporting anything from the Eastern Sierra I figured I should share some love with my brethren and bring ya'll up to date with our season. I know I'm tired of lurking on telemark tips for Sierra beta...

While the lack of snow has indeed been a bit depressing I have still had a fantastic winter. Even with the pitiful base, fresh lines have been plentiful as the Mammoth Crest alone holds months of lines. Most of the crusty locals have been too busy bitching about the snowpack to actually go slay what is in so the motivated have been lapping it up alone. Only the boards are suffering - definitely more ptex nights than pow dayz.

The current state of the snowpack is quite mixed. As usual its all about aspect. We just got 3-6 inches last tues so that freshened things up a bit, especially in the high alpine. Low elevation trailheads are getting pretty toasted however so get up early and blaze higher. Personally I wouldn't bother with much south of Bishop, if even south of Bloody.

So anyway, nuff spray. Here's a few gems from each month:

First BC run of the season, first "turn". Dec 6th @ the Crest -

Third turn of the season -

Early January terrain park session -

Does your wife jib?

Low tide - Sonora - Mid January -

Early February was real thin in the Sierra. We went hunting up north. Keith's Hut outside Pemberton BC was the best we found -

Chuting above the Anniversary glacier on a BC bluebird day -

Last week of February the cold smoke returned to the Sierra -

Rollin into "Rider" Dreams - 1st week of March -

Airing it out in the corridor below the Matterhorn -

Is there still pow in the Sierra? Yesterday below Twin Peaks -

Thanks to all who have been posting reports the last few seasons and BCrider for stoking the fire.

More to come...[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:38 pm 

Stalefishes, Ski Deams...err I mean Rider Dreams, Sierra cold smoke, female rippers, jibbing, BC, Twin Peaks.............................you've got my attention!!! 8)

Looking forward to more! :thatrocks:

ps. How is the lower approach from the RV park right now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:09 am 

tight. Looks like you're having a fun winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:15 am 

We booted up pine duff and manky snow from the RV park all the way into the first basin. Others had skinned a narrow strip of snow on the trail but it was a firm runnel and the trail switchbacks alot. On the way down we slipped down semi discontinous snow until we were about 100 yds from lake level. Once you make the second basin coverage is pretty good. In the high basins coverage is excellent and most but not all the coolies will go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:55 am 

Just got back last night. Spent Saturday at Minarette Vista and backside of hemlock bowl diggin pits and such. Saturday night went up to Virgina Lakes. Saw Towlie and his friend Jay. Took my two students , Dave , TJ from TTips and all of us went up south peak. Observations? Man its boney but the usuall places do hold a few powder stashes. looking over towards Conness from South Peak I was very suppriesd to see the Conness North Peak area looking pretty good. Dana Couloir looking good. Solstice goes but I couldnt see if there was a cornice. And as far dana Plateau, cocaine chute looked good. The others are thin. Elery doesnt have any cornice but looks a little wind scarred on the top. I will post pics later tonight or tomorrow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:10 am 

Alright Bigfoot! Way to come out with guns a blazin'. Looks like a pretty fun season so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:49 pm 

yeah, way too much bi'chin about not enough snow. I've been having the best spring in 3 years! Looks like winer is back for a week or so, hopefully with a foot of fresh in the morning.

I don't think nothingmuch is complaining about his adventures!

More pics, more pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:24 pm 

OK, so I guess that's acceptable for a first TR... :) Great pics, love that last one. I'll stop bitching now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:09 am 

Eastside Easter update:

This winter has held alot of what ifs and maybes. Will it snow? Will it go? Will it soften? The last two weeks of nuclear temps, a small heap of cold snow, and gusty winds have only compounded that indecision.

Most terrain below 9000 is pretty rotten. Make that 10000 if your on anything even slightly south facing. The snow from the storm two weeks ago has not consolidated in many areas making for gooey riding amongst a stream of pinwheels. The wind has been steady and gusty however so exposed areas are better consolidated. Cloud cover has been off and on the last 4 days so it has been warm but not baking everywhere. Reports from today were mixed. Good corn below Ski Dreams. Crusty and firm in TJ bowl. Supposed to cool down the next couple nights before a system moves through Weds so things should improve. Definitely still a few worthy high lines out there once these next systems shake out.

Despite the indecision, motivation is still high as I have yet to be dissapointed for my efforts. Last week was no different as our exploits paid off richly in both riding and recon. Here's a few pics from last Monday's line - The Pinner on Mt Laurel.

The Pinner as of March 5th 2007.

Booting up April 2nd.

Ryan Copenhagen lays a buttery slash. One entrance is visible above. We took a slightly higher chute just skiers left of that one.

There were three rock chokes, all moderate, two you could slip through, one was a 10 ft rock scramble. All in all the entire shot was relatively mellow.

The bottom third of the coolie was the most consolidated as it didn`t get much fresh in the last storm.

A bit boney, but breathtaking as usual...