Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A little "Route Finding Issue" through an avalanch
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:17 pm 

For those that I have not read my recent trip report it's hereit can be found here, basically I tour / hike with a group of like minded people well off the beaten track. I have been doing this type of trip for quite a few years, and always with the same guide, UIAGM qualified, Swede called Per As, this is our fifth touring trip together, along with his "appentice" guide, Jonatan Hulten, years before we've spent in and around La Grave.

Just had some recent photos in from a mate who was on the same trip, and thought I'd put this, as an example of one of our many memorable adventures, up as a "picture story".

It was our last day, we were heading for Courmayeur and we had already done one long climb,

and had a good run down

and then proceeded with our second long climb, in anticipation of a very long run out back down a long valley into Courmayeur, or as long as the snow lasted in the valley floor....

Trouble was as soon as we had descended a fair bit we saw what was in our way.....

Ok from where I was, did not look that major, but it had the guides worried

All the sides of the bowls (south facing) running into the valley had avalanched, similar to a tributary of a river, with the net result that our intended route was blocked my masses of avalanche debris, again does not look that bad does it?

Actually for the skiers in our group it was not too bad, but being on boards was not that easy.

However this begins to put it more into scale, this is my mate with a 196 SwellPanic Swallow Tail trying to climb across

And just in case you can't spot him, this is another shot zoomed in.

In the meantime I took a higher route trying to make it across to the skiers

However, that route was impossible, so we all had to climb back from where we had come down from and climb up the other side to attempt to traverse high up around the debris. So all the time the guides were working together to suss out the best route, but it was really hard.

And with high temps, it was getting really hot & sticky as I hiked back up.

Eventually we climbed up and had tricky traverse through rock fileds with a fair amount of clambering ill we at last could see a way out. You can just about make out thee two guides happy that yet again they had managed to get their clients out of a tricky situation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:25 pm 

Damn, that was a big slide! Cool pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:00 pm 

Are you sure thats not the dreaded Saddlebag Lake traverse?