Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tallac 2/18
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:27 am 

Finally got out for what felt like a true bc day since I moved down to Tahoe. Barefoot Woman was in town so it sounded like a good time to go for one of the local favorites, bushwacking or not. This was also the first time ever for me on a split....I don't know how many times I said "what the flying f@ck was I doing muling it all these years!" I will post a review of my new prior in a while now that I finally have some time on it.

Beastmaster, Barefoot Woman, and I got our usual alpine start of noon 'o clock and, contrary to local belief, were able to skin right from the car:
We were planning on going up the south ridge and descending the NE bowl, and thought we were on track for quite a while until we realized we never skirted the lake. With no true plans of summiting at this point we just pointed towards the middle of Tallac and started gaining elevation. Once on a ridge we scouted a nice long bowl with plenty of coverage, it would be the view from the left here (though you cannot actually see it):

The snow was really nice on North facing slopes around 8K, about a foot of fluff. We also got some hail around this point but it didn't last long. Up towards our fake summit the underlying layer hardened up so we had about 3-6" of fluff. Still not anything to complain about but the hard pack and avi debris underneath did make it tricky.

Sorry for the lack of action shots, waiting for Barefoot to send me some when she gets home. I also had the best wreck of the season yesterday. One of those tomohawkers that lasts for 5-10 seconds....I really hope the shot of me in the aftermath came out good, it was classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:05 am 

right on snowskate! thanks for the tallac stoke!

ps - "skirted the lake"???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:55 pm 

Testing out the new split the day before in Mt. Rose frontcountry:
Two poles way up for the splitboard!
Skinning was interesting down low on Tallac
Beastmaster "enjoying" the hail (Fallen Leaf lake in the background, this is what we thought we were supposed to skirt....boy were we wrong)
Visibility got really bad right before our descent
Snownskate putting the Prior through the motions
Beastmaster in search of 30 footers
PTS (post tomohawk syndrome)

Post subject: Nice stuff...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:48 pm 

So, I'm guessing Snownskate felt comfortable enough with the Prior to declare it air-worthy. Nice shots...

Conditions are definitely getting better out there... More snow to come this week!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:35 pm 

I have to say the Prior felt great (that was literally the second time strapping into it above that cliff)....still plan on following up on my post in the board reviews section with some details. My inbounds board is setup with a completely centered, equally angled stance (don't ask, I'm obsessed with riding switch) so it has been a little different getting used to a board setup for pow....damn does it make it easier with a pack on though.

Yup, winds are really picking up here, looks like it could be a good one this time!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:40 pm 

Congrats on the new splitty!