Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Portillo, Chile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:50 pm 

This trip took place back in late August of 2006 so it is old. It was inspired in part by a clip from Warren Miller's Journey. My brother and I spent a week down in Portillo located literally on the border of Argentina and Chile to do some skiing and boarding that will be remembered for a long time. Although I didn't have my splitboard with me nor did I venture far out of bounds, I feel this was adventuress enough to be posted.

These first three were some pics that were regular panoramics I had scanned and fit together. The originals remain in my cube and taunt me.

Looking out over the lake from the hotel...

Looking off at the Argentinian border from a ridge next to the Rocca Jack lift...

Look back up towards the lake and hotel...these pictures that were inserted were from the summer preceding back when I had some long hippy hair...

When we first arived the snow was some pretty spring snow. Weather was moderate in temperature and clear as can be.

As you can see in a couple of these the snow got fairly icy when the sun was going down and a little wind picked up.

This was about midway through our weeks stay when a big storm came through. Both of us having had to deal with crap for visibility up here took to the slopes anyways, this was powder that covered your tracks by the next time you came around.

The day after was incredible. Beautiful blue bird skies and great powder which was knee to waist deep.

This was the lightest powder that I have ever boarded.

Although I had to traverse a great deal (I got used to it), it was worth it to get to some of the chutes that were now available.

All in all, I would recommend this to anyone. They had nice groomers I will admitt eventhough not a corduroy fan, the icy snow that there was made me a better boarder for it, those damn pomma lifts did too, the powder was unbelievable, and it was relaxing despite a rigorous 6 days straight of boarding. Met some cool people, ate some wierd things, and boarded to the point of exhaustion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:10 pm 

Cool, man. Thanks for posting.