Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: January..... (pic intensive)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:54 pm 

.....but first, a little bit of December.

I found my camera in Washington the last day before departure. These are from Stevens.

snoslut and jimjar skinning

Scoping an acid drop - nope, won't go

Cruising out of a chute

And back to January....

p420 on Teton Pass

p420 with the super back-seat wheelie while wysplit barrels towards him. Matt looks on.

Wysplit

Serenity on the top of Edelweiss

Gradient

Cruising

The Sphinx with the Sphinxter cutting through the rocky face

Cedar Mountain. One of my trips taken as a professional skinner.

Kyle and I training in Hyalite

Sometimes without skis

There may be nearly no snow in SW Montana (except Cooke), but at least it looks pretty. Mt. Cowan in the distance.

Blackmore

And, finally, it was time for the Grand on Sunday. I hadn't been above 10k all year (or 11k, 12k, or 13k for that matter), so we started early. Unfortunately, Kyle had to ski patrol, so it was just Steve and I. I think you all probably remember my Grand fiasco from last year, and this jaunt went significantly better.

As dawn arrived, I could tell that Steve was hurting. I was too, but it was manageable. I sure was glad that Steve Romeo had broken trail 5 days beforehand. Thanks Steve! You're an animal!

Booting up the Teepe Glacier

In the Stettner, we found 2 other groups in front of us. This significantly slowed us down and provided a nice shower of ice and snow while climbing. Luckily, they were friendly and sympathetic.

Middle Teton from the Stettner.

Steve following the upper Stettner. Right below him is an ice bulge that he took a small spill on. The bulge itself was fine, but one had to mantel off of it into steep snow without any tool placements (even rock), hoping that the feet would stick. It was especially sketchy with my previous ice screw being in semi-hollow ice. Twas fun though, and the rest of the climbing was quite easy. It was Steve's first time ice climbing! Go Steve!

Alas, for many reasons, the hour became too late (2:30), and I had to turn around approximately 1-200 feet from the summit, at the top of the Ford Couloir. I felt good about calling it at this point. The dude right below me was some random guy that half-soloed the ascent because his partner was sick down in the meadows. Strange circumstance, but he seemed nice enough and allowed us to do longer raps with 2 ropes.

This photo cracks me up. Steve managed to get photos of me only when I had stopped, and this one just seems strange (not that mine were great). For reference, I made it approximately 150 feet past the dude behind me, and the summit is in the background.

View from the top

Resting in the Ford couloir.

Steve ripping it.

The snow and temperatures were actually the most pleasant near the summit. Once we were near the meadows, the snow turned into a 35 degree ice skating rink, definitely the crux.

As usual, we had a shitty time finding our way out from Bradley Lake, and arrived at the car well into the dark and cold night. When we started, the temp was -15 F, when we finished it was -11 F. Jackson inversions suck!

Pray for snow, because there isn't even enough around Bozeman for them to groom the trails.

Stay tuned for February.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:46 pm 

Nice! Thanks for the badly needed stoke. I love the blackmore shot - really dreamlike. And the Grand Teton is so impressive to look at. It must be a trip to actually be up there. But I didn't realize it is so heavily trafficked. Is that unusual?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:41 pm 

Hell yeah. That's what I'm talkin about. And there's not even any snow yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:27 am 

that is some beautiful and hardcore stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:58 am 

Love it Dude. Wish I was at the pass right now. Will someone take Pops up the Grand please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:59 pm 

that's really sick, way to go. I thought montana was doing pretty good, did it start out good? I thought I remember some early TR's that were sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:35 pm 

Montana's snow season started out great in October, then it basically hasn't snowed since (okay, a bit, but minimally). It's snowing right now, but the entire base is 2 or 3 feet of rotten facets AKA death.

Pops, I'd love to take you up there sometime :wink:

I think the grand was so heavily trafficked because of a photo a few days beforehand in the JH daily of Romeo et al's pow turns up top. The weekend was approaching and it was still sunny, so everyone wanted to get after it. Plus, there really is only one way up and down the thing, so of course one runs into everyone else. Usually though, I think it only sees a few winter ascents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:43 pm 

Nomad goddamn slaying powder all across the land. Your becoming quite the powder connoisseur.

Nomad if your still heading west a few people that missed out on Helens want to hit it up again. Another option was touring the Snoqualmie bc. This weekend the best weather window is Saturday. Don't know which way I'm leaning yet.

Btw I got all your pics on a cd now so next time your in town...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:18 pm 

nicely done!

Thanks for the TR. How long did the grand trip take?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:52 pm 

Thanks for the TR thats hard fn' core stuff you did! The pics are great too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:41 pm 

What boot/binding setup are you using for that kind of climb? Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:16 pm 

Cool beans!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:14 pm 

nice job dude. I hear ya on the professional skinning, there isn't really much riding to be had. God I haven't even gotten on any thing remotely steep since october