Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rookie Reflections
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:53 pm 

Hey everyone,
just thought i would share with the community my first trips into the BC on a splitboard and give a mini-review on my setup. No insane photos to share, but i think you can get a feel for the wasatch the past week. I went out 3 times. My full trip reports can be found here:
http://homepage.mac.com/koji.takahashi/iblog/index.html

To begin, I was amazed at how much more energy i had on a splitboard than with snow shoes. Getting the pounds off the back helps tremendously. i'm glad that i spent 2 seasons on snowshoes...it allowed me access to some terrain, and learn about the snowpack, but i will never go back to slow-shoes again!

Lessons learned:
1. Trim the skins. although it is clearly written on the voile tractor skin instructions...who reads instructions!?

2. olive oil does an incredible job lubricating the binding plate/puck interface. amazing that this worked.

3. taking those skins apart at the TH is a bitch. i like setting them up at home in the AM. is there some trick to separating the skins or does the glue just loosen up after some time? i hear dog hair works good :)

Mini-review:

voile 161 mtn gun: i rode on hard pack, broke trail in light powder, and had some shin deep powder runs. navigated some tight trees and rock gardens. gotta say that i am really impressed with the feel of this board. i am used to riding a 159-163 inbounds, and this board performed as well as any of my favorite boards from the past. The nose does want to dive, sometimes, but so far, has not been an issue.

REI double diamond hydration pack: this is a new item from REI, and i think it is quite functional. the bladder was leaking air from the hose/mouthpiece connection, but teflon tape solved that. otherwise, it sits well, has a very convenient full zip in the back (as well as top loading from the front), carries shovel and probe easily. have not tried carrying the splits in ski mode yet...

Looking forward to more trips soon (think snow!)

profile:

height/weight: 5'8", 160lb
years riding (resorts): 12+
years in BC : 3, inclusive, 2 on snow shoes
set up: voile mtn gun 161, nitro team boots, K2 V8 bindings

Post subject: Re: Rookie Reflections
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:13 pm 

DrKoKo wrote:
To begin, I was amazed at how much more energy i had on a splitboard than with snow shoes. Getting the pounds off the back helps tremendously. i'm glad that i spent 2 seasons on snowshoes...it allowed me access to some terrain, and learn about the snowpack, but i will never go back to slow-shoes again!

Amen and well said! 8)

Good Stuff DrKoko!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!

Cool .mac site too! (I recently started working for apple and was just playing with my .mac acct earlier) :thatrocks:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:17 pm 

dude, .mac is awesome. we use the idisc feature at work, and keep a database file there that can be accessed from any computer...and my co-worker and i can log in at anytime to update one file. it servers our puproses well. also, when sharing large keynote/powerpoint presentations, nothing beats the public idisc imo. you can have people log in and DL the file (sometimes 100mb+), somthing that cannot be easily done by email, for example.

anyway, thanks for the feedback on the TR and that is so awesome that you are working for Apple. They make some incredible stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:23 pm 

Quote:
3. taking those skins apart at the TH is a bitch. i like setting them up at home in the AM. is there some trick to separating the skins or does the glue just loosen up after some time? i hear dog hair works good

3 years later and it still sometimes takes two people pulling to get my tractor skins apart.

I have found that putting the skins on at the house makes the glue stick to my base sometimes when I pull them off. :x

Post subject: Peeling skins...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:50 pm 

Good call on setting up your skis before you get to the trailhead. Skin glue is much more managable at warmer temps. But you only get that luxury one time when you're touring. The rest of your change-ups are in the snow so...

I use "cheat sheets" on my skins and it makes a world of difference. Black Diamond makes some, but I got mine from the local backcountry shop for free. When a shop buys skins in bulk, the roll come with a flexible, plastic mesh backing that keeps the roll from sticking together. It looks like the mesh of a fiberglass cast (without the fiberglass hardner). It takes another minute to apply it to your skins before your put em' in your pack, but it's worth it when you have to peel em' apart next time.

Safe touring.

~ Edub

Post subject: cheat sheets
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:48 am 

so the local BC store told me that black diamond was having problems with their original design. seems that the material would fail after time and you ended up with some black fiborous materials stuck in the glue. so they said that i could have a pair, for free, to check them out! stoked. the risk of getting little bits of black in the glue outweigh the wrestling match i used to have with the skins. besides, they said i could warranty the skins if something like that should happen. i've had them for a couple of weeks now, they are working great.

BD is working on Ver. 2.0, i hear....

thanks for the tip! the snow out here in the wasatch has been great! hope everyone's getting some turns in (tahoe, you'll get yours soon enough).