Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glacier Park 7/8 & 9th - sorry if too many scenic pics
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:30 am 

Was in a local backcountry shop and got some beta on easy access & great lines up in Glacier Park so I talked my 18y/o daughter into going with me. We left early Sat. morn. & arrived at St. Mary visitor center ~ 12:00. We quickly learned the "easy/great" part wasn't to be. The backcountry permit lady at the visitor center was no help at all in our quest & I got the impression I shouldn't have said we were snowboarders as she definitely had some assumptions once she heard that. Aggravated at our lack of direction at this point we took off for Logan Pass to scope out what might be possible. The drive up Going-To-The-Sun road was pretty spectacular:

We got to Logan Pass visitor center having seen some great possibilities & discovered they couldn't issue backcountry permits or be any help so we turn around & head back to St. Mary. After much discussion & killing another hour with the permit lady at St. Mary we finally discover the campsite area we want to hike into is full!! Its almost 4pm now so we decide to just car-camp at the nearest campground & hike into the objective the next morning.

Having time to kill we decided to do a check out some other parts of the park. We went to a trail above Lake Sherburne and did a hike into Iceberg Lake. It was a pretty mellow 5.5 mile(1-way) hike with only ~1,000' uphill vert in all. Was a great way to kill the rest of the day:

& Iceberg Lake:

Check out this line. A little late for this year but maybe next late May/early June? Anybody wanna join me?:

Got back to camp ~8 & got a good nights sleep & early start Sun. morn. The Objective - Mt. Jackson. The snowfield we did is the triangle shaped one near the center of the pic.

The hike in is ~8 miles 1-way & ~4,500 uphill to the top of the snowfield. Gunsight Lake (6 miles in):

Crossing the outlet of the lake:

& the view from near our objective looking back towards our hike in:

Finally at the objective "Chubba" getting ready to launch:

& she's off:
[img]http://www.biglines.com/photosv2/2006/07/120x120/biglines_62829.jpg[img]
[/img]http://www.biglines.com/photosv2/2006/07/120x120/biglines_62830.jpg[img]

I managed to pull the ultimate dumbass move & let my board sail off without me. Luckily after downclimbing to retrieve - the board was still rideable with some topsheet separation. Got in another 800' of uphill to get in a run but was well worth it. The pics don't do justice to the length of the run or the breadth of the country we were in. 1 last look up the run:
[/img]http://www.biglines.com/photosv2/2006/07/120x120/biglines_62831.jpg[img]

All-in-all a great weekend & my daughter even got along with all the hiking super well & enjoyed it - despite the expectations going in.[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:39 am 

Just figured I would fix that. That was a good trip report and no, not too many senic pics. I can look at mountains waterfalls and snow all day, or untill I get fired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:05 pm 

Awesome and report. Man, you daughter's a sport---8-miles one way :shock:

If my Dad asked my sister to walk around the block with him she would have told him "only if we can stop at the mall". :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:59 am 

Thanks P420 - what did I do wrong? Hard to play in here sometimes when you're puter-tarded & have slow out-in-the-tulies dial-up.

Eco - there was some discussion of shopping...she did handle it all well tho - in fact even stated several times during the hike that it was "worth it" :shock: . Since she's headed away to college in a month it was great just to get to spend some time with her in such an amazing place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:30 pm 

Never too many scenic pics lew! Especially when they are sweet ones like yours. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:08 pm 

Dial up?!? Wow - that's dedication. Thanks for the pics! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:12 am 

Wow, from the looks of the scenery it appears that I missed out! Probably better that I didn't go tho since I was sick over the weekend.

Quote:

Me likes! Thanks for putting in the effort to share over your heinous connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:33 am 

Quote:
Quote:

Me likes! Thanks for putting in the effort to share over your heinous connection

Thought you might like it - Its called the Iceberg Notch - popular through summer for climbers. Park infochicks had never heard of anyone skiing/boarding it but its a pretty easy skin/hike to the base of the couloir. The road into the trailhead opens ~ March/April.