Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: June 22-24, 2006 Mt Shasta Bananza
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:36 pm 

After last weekends outing in the North Cascades, I felt like a dog in submission, left licking my wounds with my tail between legs. That was until Wednesday when the final decision was made to go to Shasta regardless. I was in the mindset that Shasta is going to be a cakewalk compared to the thrashing endured just a few days earlier. Time will soon tell.

Just like last weekend things started of at the Celtic Swell enjoying my libation of choice while watching a friend play a 4 hour acoustic set. Her music and voice's soothing sound lead my mind astray while I gazed at the colorful sunset on the longest day. Last call came too soon and after a few hour nap I found myself driving south down I-5 to meet Lupo by 7am.

I dozed off most of the 8 hour drive until I woke to this...

Soon we were gathering groceries in Shasta. I totally forgot that someone of age can by hard liquor at a Safeway equivalent grocery. Then I remembered about the liquor barn in Redding. I stuck with the crow, Old Crow that is.

After obtaining a $15 climbing permit (self issued at Bunny Flats) and poop bag we chatted with a climbing ranger about conditions. Our eyes lit with anticipation. We started skinning within 50 or so feet from the car. There's only one short carry between Bunny Flats and Horse Camp. Within an hour John and I were setting up camp...

and preparing for pre-dinner run. There's still 8-10ft of snow around the cabin and the snow surface is littered with suncups. At least the snow is soft when we started our run just after 8pm.

Back at camp we were treated to a light show as the sun made its exit, soon followed by the moon and an army of stars on this clear night.

Next morning we rose to beautiful blue skies and the persistent sounds of buzzing from the local insects. SLAP! Followed by another, another and another. Damn bugs took their chance even after a soaking of bug juice. My blood must be an efin hallucinogenic or something. So the plan was to skin to Hidden Valley camp on Shasta's west side, relax, and summit the next morning. To get to the next camp we stayed low and did an ascending traverse to camp. Since we did there was one short boot section. If one stayed low enough past the second gully, one could skin the entire way. Anyone Giddy Giddy?

Once the west face came into view, so did our line and the fact that the suncups weren't as pronounced as they were in Avalanche Gulch.

While setting up camp I watched with excitement as skiers and a lone boarder descended. If you look closely at the picture above you can see 2 dots which are the people in the pic below.

I couldn't sit around and wait. Lupo decided to chill with his ipod on the rocks while I went harvesting. After an hour or so of skinning I found a nice rock to marinate on and watch the flood of climbers along with other slider types, make their way into camp.

Once 4:30 rolled around I started my run back down. After some freeze dried chicken n rice, ramen n tuna and miso soup the food coma started to kick in. Then just when I thought I had eaten enough our next door neighbor, 2 Shasta climbing guides Matt and Soul Train, offered all the pasta alfredo we could eat. Hmmm. I can't pronounce her name without butchering it so I asked for a nickname. She said it was “Soul Trainâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:47 pm 

Sick Brah!
Congrats on baggin' another peak, and you didn't even have to fend off a bear or downclimb a waterfall :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:45 pm 

Yeah snoslut. Always an entertaining TR from ya.

It would have been cool to camp with you guys and in hindsight maybe we should have since the west face softens later in the day.

That rider's right line hardly gets ridden cause most just come down where they climbed. Good choice.