Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - 06-13-2006 mt gibbs, eastern sierra

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 06-13-2006 mt gibbs, eastern sierra
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:47 pm 

back at the beach now sifting thru the photos from this year. finally decided to start work on some TR's

http://www.strikingsun.com/2006_06_13_gibbs.html

this is from a solo day i did last week tues. lately been just checking out the terrain between june and lee vining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:25 pm 

Cool. Crazy that it snowed yet again! Back in Feb bcd posted some photos from the same area, including that area on the north side of Gibbs that was too melted out when you were there:

That TR is here:

http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2150

Post subject: nice thanks for the link to the TR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:25 pm 

jim thanks for showing this to me! i didnt realize such amazing pics were out there posted a while back by mr bcd....

those r some good shots BCD! thanks for posting them, i especially like this one

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/b ... hed-10.jpg

amazing pic of the line i rode 6/13 only a bit more filled in eh? any idea if there is a name for that chute/gully? also nice to see from a high point across the drainage how that ridge does connect with dana. lots of powder there that time of year - BCD how did you access this area, from the campgrounds to the north? also that is a very nice line he took off gibbs great snow and looks very asthetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:15 pm 

I've heard that chute you did called "Kidney chute". Makes sense, dropping down to kidney lake. BTW, a coupla a ttipsters were involved in a major avalanche in that area last spring (major not necessarily in size - though it was big - but also in that one of the guys was swept over a 50+ foot cliff). Scary stuff. Very good/thought provoking writeup here:

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8540

Post subject: more great info!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:23 pm 

jim - again - thanks for the great link. i just read the story and it is pretty crazy. those guys are so lucky they made it out ok. they did a good job of explaining the human factors that influenced the events of their day. i really appreciate reading stuff like that.

it is important to be able to understand what went wrong and how to potentially avoid a similar situation. i like pushing the limits in the bc but my ultimate goal is really ...making it back to the truck at the end of the day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:44 pm 

Totally. It was a real eye-opener for me because I was hanging out with both those guys at the ttips gathering just a day before this incident, and they had asked me if I wanted to join them. If I had been there, I can see how I could have made the same decisions they did...