It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canoeing to RoundTop 2006-05-28
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:10 pm 

Crew:
Tibo (7) on AT
Binouz (13) on AT
Fassnor (age not disclosed) on split :)

Location: Carson Pass -> Winnemucca Lake -> Pass between RoundTop and The Sisters
Memorial Day weekend '06

Oh yeah, did we forget to mention that somehow the idea of the trip was to Canoe AND backcountry ski / splitboard. The TR was supposed to be called Canoeing to Ralston Peak. After being turned away at Echo Lakes, we decided to go to Winnemucca Lake (tip for next Canoe-Split hybrid trip: inquire about the road closure to Echo Lakes dam BEFORE getting there). Anyway, hence the Canoe to RoundTop TR title.

Somehow all that gear would have to get in the canoe. Maybe, next time, we should try this at home first.
Image[/img]

Ok now we are ready to go. What a nice day, it's warm, snow coverage is good, etc.. etc... But wait, I know it's a splitboarder forum. But frankly, have you noticed how splitboarders can at times exhibit really ackward stances when in ski mode. Look at this pic. Granted, fassy has been notorious for those tabloid like pics, but still, don't you think I look way cooler on my AT gear?

That and the fact that Fassydaddy was carrying most of the gear, I think at this point he was getting really nasty ideas.
(notice the splitboarder faking to look sideways while me, the AT guy, is readjusting my sunglasses to look even cooler)

Bam. Caught on tape: a piece of evidence for the frequently talked-about issue of splitboarders kicking out mortal AT skiers out of the skintracks.
(actually just the combined effect of suncups with freeheels which are a hmm a new kind of skiing experience)

AT skier big bro's rebellion: "Don't you ever kick my little bro out of the skin track again or I'll..."
(too much sun exposure can make you loose your mind: as demonstrated by our embedded reporter/photograph going shirtless)

I think Binouz just wanted to bring some attention to his gear: Randonne skis circa 1982

Enough messing around. Throwing it into high gear to get to our base camp at Winnemucca Lake.
Looking at Roundtop in the background and the pass between Roundtop and the Sisters (our destination for the next day) .

Some clouds started to move in from the West. It's getting a bit windier, not the kind of conditions to take off your shirt. That's for sure. What's less sure is if FassyDaddy had planned any winter-like weather conditions for our canoe trip.

We found a good spot near the Lake (completely frozen: sorry no fishing today!) with a good view of the lines from RoundTop. Binouz get to hammer out the ice with the axe to make a flat surface for the tent.

It's now around 3:30 and we get to chill out a bit before ... the storms comes in and brings in NEW FRESH SNOW! I guess, at that point, we were too busy trying to stay warm to take many shots of the snow flakes. No pics but it was SNOWING!

Overnight was cool (cool as in "cool dude" but also as in "cool temps"). Almost seemed like we had taken a portable sauna with us according to this pic taken inside the tent in the early hours of Memorial Day.

Early morning fog had moved in the tent too.

Here is a view of the camp

With no time to waste, we were skinning up. As we know, FassyDaddy is always the first ready to go, so he gets to take pics of our climb from hmmm ...the camp!

A look back at our camp (in the trees). We are making good progress. Still the only souls on the mountain.

Scoping out the possible descent lines. Hey FassyDaddy, are we really going to go down Crescent couloir? We heard from AT guys that it was rock solid at the top the previous day. We only have one ice axe for three, that's going to be our excuse not to do the couloir. Too bad, we'll post to the "riding with your ice ax" thread another time.

Quick check to see if I can pass on the left.

Serious climbing mode. Notice the ski boots (circa 1982), almost as cool as the FFYB(tm). BTW, I HAD to use these because they were the only ones to work with my AT bindings, but they are a few sizes too big. (hint hint to BD: we need AT gear for kids!). Hey I get to use ski crampons too.

Big bro checking on me.

Last push before we get to the top.

Practicing switchback turns with the Sisters in the Background.

And before we know it (well, almost) we are there. It's chilly and windy but we can't escape the traditional summit picture.

Oh well, let's make another summit pic just in case the first one wasn't great.

Now, let's take some time for ripping some awesome corn turns. Tibo goes first

It's steep but really fun.

Binouz' turn.

Flying through it.

Ripping in duo.

Corn was gooooood!

Just in case you were wondering if FassyDaddy was still with us at that point in time.

Time to skin out back to the trailhead (our lines in the back ;) )

Another view of the runs from Caples Lake.

I have to say the canoe-AT-split trip to RoundTop was a blast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:43 pm 

Way to go Fassy!

I took my boy to that same area 2 years ago for his first snow camping/bc riding trip. We didn't get over near Round Top though…thanks for the inspiration to get him back out there. :)

Your little guys rock! 8)

Ps. Good looking kids….they must take after their mom. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:09 pm 

Awesome TR!

But who's the dork on the splitboard? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:38 pm 

Good one, Fassy! Nice to see that you are passing your penchant for 80's gear on to the younger generations...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:22 pm 

Nice! I guess that is an acceptable excuse for bailing on us on the eastside... :) I was waiting for the picture of you hauling all the gear and the kids in the canoe behind you while skinning out to Roundtop.

Please let us know when your oldest son's feet get large enough that you can pass on the FFYB's and we will have a special ceremony. Maybe you can combine the one-piece pink jumpsuit and monoski (we all know you have them) with the gift!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:09 pm 

Right on Fassy!!

We missed ya this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:02 am 

That get's me real excited about the future with my kids, just had my first one, a boy, 7 weeks ago. Awesome to see you introducing them to the mountains and backcountry so young.