Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR (splitless): Grossglockner, Austria (and some OT)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:42 am 

Okay, a few things to cover first.
1) Are non-splitter TRs okay with y'all?
2) I'm going to point to a page that has the pics, since I haven't found a better way to copy the pictures over here...
3) I've got more TRs, is it lame to post here and link to where I'm hosting the TR with pics? I figure that way it's searchable, and it's easiest. But if consensus says I should go through the motions to get all the pics here, let me know... and any suggestions on how best to do it would be great.
4) I'd like to raise the issue of what makes a good TR. It seems to me we had this discussion last year, but I searched the threads and couldn't find it, if someone can turn it up, please let me know... but a point I wanted to make is that I hope people provide a little more beta with their TRs. I get bummed when I read a post, but can't figure out where the hell their talking about. These posts should be resources for folks looking for information about the area, not just pics of epic fresh... ideally both! Maybe I'm just getting bitter about all the epic fresh that's getting posted ;)

Anyway, here's the tale from Tlaloc and I headed to Austria:
One pic, as a teaser...

Trip Report: Grossglockner, Austria - April, 2006

For the 411 check out:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150224/grossglockner.html

That's the beta, now for the tale:

For the tale with pics go here:
http://www.jfburkhart.com/projects/tr_gross.at.html

Tlaloc and I left Vienna around 13:00 on Thursday - well, we were up at 06:00, but that's another story! After heading out to the airport to pick up our rental car, we headed west.

Our first order of businsess was to assure we could rent a beacon and randonee gear for Tlaloc. When we go to Bad Gastein, a valley ski town, we were assured we could, but none of the shops were open at that time. I add this detail to the post, only so those of you who might be wondering can be assured that in Austria it's easy to find places to rent such equipment - in case you ever happen to be there with great snow and weather but the gear back home... as Tlaloc was.

We spent the night there, catching up on some rest after the previous evenings antics. I tolde you, we WERE up at 06:00. We found a good hostel and a nice Fischerstuderl, and crashed for the night.

In the am, with equipment rented, we made headed out of town. The first stop was a tunnel which would carry us and our car across to the southern side of the Austrian Alps.

Since we had about 20 minutes to wait for the train, we opted to prep our gear here to save some time at the trailhead.

We reached Kals, and the aproach around 13:00, and with gear ready began our approach to Studle Hutte. We were starting around 1800m, heading to 2800 for the evening.

Tlaloc getting ready for the sun... we scored on the weather.

This is the first hut, a smaller one. Note the lift... these huts are well equipped, and though they won't carry you up there, there's plenty waiting once you get there... just wait to see!

Getting Alpine now. That's Grossglockner in the background.

Tlaloc reaching the hut, not sure how I was in front.. certainly wasn't the case most the day!

Now that's a 'hut'. Jesus Maria! One hundred and four beds. When we got there it was empty, but they told us they were fully booked! They assured us we would find space somewhere....

The austrians started to pour in around 20:00.... and of course, proceeded to drink and ....

Unbelievable.... nothing like a 2800m buzz. I guess wrt/ drinking it does make for a cheap night!

We splurged for the hot meal... this place had an amazing spread.... including loks! After a stellar meal, a few 'shantis', and a nights rest in the drying room ( I can assure you it didn't smell to good, thank god for the window!).... we were off at dawn the next day for another 1000 m climb to 3800 m.

We weren't too stressed about a pre-dawn start, as we had been assured the snow would remain good throughout the day... in fact, if anything we wanted to wait a bit for it to soften. As far as I could tell, it was going to be perfect!

More evidence of our stellar weather! Looks flat, but it wasn't... though not too bad.

Climbing now... note the 'company' approaching... we were not alone on this mountain, recall the 104 beds at Studle Hutte were full....

We hit 3750 m by about 10:00. After a few tourists in tow behind guides mistook us for hand rails... we opted to bail on the summit and make some turns. The snow was perfect, and there was still plenty of 'fresh'.

Tlaloc got some of the first turns in.

A little sun screen break, busting off the layers... it would be t-shirts here on out...

A final disassembly... repacking, and prepping.... return the gear.. and head out to Salzburg.

Somewhere around 04:00 in the morning, after we had found Salzburg's largest nightclub that just happened to be having a Brazillian party complete with drummers and capoeiristas, I remember saying to Tlaloc I haven't experienced something as close to Crested Butte days in a while, that is skiing hard all day, dancing all night... keeps you young![/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:55 am 

Sweet trip, dude. Can you really call that a hut? Looks like fun!

Linking to you website is fine. No big deal either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:39 am 

#1 - Non splitter TR's are fine, as soon as the lake opens I will be posting wakeboard tr's. I dont care if what its about. A trip to the library is ok with me.
#2&3- If it has pics, you may want to just put up the link to save yourself from typing so much.

#4-See #1

And finally- nice trip report. Do all people in europe have marlboros everywhere they go? Do little kids smoke? And do europeans hang out apres' with leather dress shoes on?

Post subject: Brining back those good olll memories !
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:26 am 

Coolio TR, also the Norway pics on you're site look great. I used to board in Kaprun & Zelm an Sea in that Area. Have been Up & Under that Glacier .

Have been thinking about going back for some BC turns someday when I might vistit the Fam. in Holland.

Seems you had a great trip in Europe.

Txhs for the TR !!

Grtx Marc