Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tatoosh 12/27/05 + backlog
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:44 pm 

Since I'm stuck inside with warm temperatures in the mountains, I figured it was time to catch up on some trips I've enjoyed in the last month.

For a while in Bozeman we had cold temps and plentiful snow. Coverage wasn't great due to the very low snow density, but turns were fun and easy.

Judson

Bridger was closed midweek for two weeks, giving an easy 2 hr skin to the ridge for free runs in very light snow. Temps were around 0 degrees.

Crazies from the bridgers

small chute

lifelinksplit and I got out for some fresh turns as well in surprisingly warm conditions. I recall complaining to him that the snow was too light to fill in steeper lines. Guess I got what was coming to me.

LLS

Dave and I got out for one day in the bacon rind/miller ridge area. Temps were -12F when we started skinning, making heat conservation quite difficult. I should have heeded splitchick's warning from the summer tr in this area. It was a long, flat skin into the terrain, and we didn't make it to anything rideable. Would have maybe been possible with more trailbreakers or an earlier start. However, we heard whumpfs and saw cracks everywhere on the flats, so riding would have been unwise anyways. No hard feelings Dave, but I won't be going there anytime soon again. :D
This would be a good spot for sled access (albeit from another side)

flat terrain

interesting terrain

Back out here in Washington, rain fell incessantly with relentless p******* ex*****es. Finally, a day with slightly lower freezing levels presented itself, and a few of us decided to take advantage of it by heading up to Tatoosh in MRNP. Our objective was to ride the fly couloir, but we were thwarted by the gate opening at 11:30 and a less-than-direct route. I have no idea why it takes them 4 hours to plow 5" out of the parking lot at paradise.

The snow was some of the wettest I have seen in ages, and it was pure cascade concrete. I actually enjoyed myself somewhat on the upper reaches, however the skiers were complaining about the heavy snow. One more advantage of splitboards!

The fly is the couloir in the center right

I was hoping for low freezing levels this weekend, but unfortunately those hopes have been dashed with yet more southwesterly flow. We may try and head up to higher terrain, but our ambitions may be inhibited by poor visibility. Wish us luck......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:52 pm 

The Fly looks fly.

Doesn't look like you need a trowel by those pics. I'll take it. :D
Wet snow is probably good to fill in that couloir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:55 pm 

I always enjoy your TRs and pics nomad, thanks for sharing! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:22 pm 

nice nomad. I have a few pics from that day that I'll try and get uploaded soon(like the cliff you wanted to huck)