Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mammoth bc
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:06 pm 

The nice thing about low snow conditions is that familiar runs seem gnarlier with boulders and chokes everywhere. Or something. Have to stay positive in these tough times. I mean, sure, we're in the midst of a global recession and our government is logging these keystrokes as I type, but I've got bigger problems that directly affect my mental state and alcohol consumption. Snow, forecasts, and all that. Thank Jebus we actually had a decent wet storm in these parts last weekend. Do we need a lot more? Yes, but I'll take what I get. It's mine. My preciousssssss.

The snowpack up high is spooky and not confidence inspiring. You're likely to find 2 feet of facets at the bottom. We figured last weekend's storm might result in some carnage somewhere, and while it wasn't widespread, there was an awe-inspiring slide in a local haunt. These pictures are from Tuesday Feb. 11.

The avalanche broke through the lake and some how this large chunk of ice ended up on top of the debris. Weird.

This was a really big avalanche (D4). Very cool and educational to see it in person (the pictures don't do it justice). I coincidentally posted a TR from this zone on this site 2 years ago: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13356

Anyway, more areas are starting to become feasible for touring, but again, the snowpack has a structure that isn't confidence inspiring.

Nonetheless, there was some good powder turns to be had earlier this week. By Thursday the winds kicked up and affected the snow out in the open, but it was still perfectly shreddable.

Here's a 90 second video from Feb 13:

or go here to watch in HD:
https://vimeo.com/86751049

If you can send more snow, that'd be great. In the meantime, here's hoping you get yours :guinness:.

Post subject: Re: mammoth bc
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:38 pm 

Glad you got some! :thatrocks:

"You're very clever, young man," said the ski patroller, "But it's facets all the way down!"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:14 pm 

Lots of debris in that slide. Thanks for sharing the TR and pics. Been curious to what it looks like out there up close right now. Not that I can ride this season due to an injury anyway, but been wondering if anyone has been out poking around.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:43 am 

Glad you got some. Im wondering if I will even hit snow in the Sierra this season

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 am 

I was up there Saturday and Sunday.
Saturday night dropped a few inches on
the Mammoth crest. It was great to be in
the mountains but the riding wasnt that great.
Sunday got some pow turns but the snowpack
is a little sensitive to get out of the trees.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:35 am 

Is that ryan floyd in the pictures? He's a friend of mine, I'm recovering from an injury for a few more days but lets get out there in a week or so!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:35 am 

Is that ryan floyd in the pictures? He's a friend of mine, I'm recovering from an injury for a few more days but lets get out there in a week or so!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:47 pm 

Earnyourturn wrote:

Do you know anyone else with that fish print jacket? :wink: Hopefully it actually snows next week (knock on wood).

Got out a few days ago and the snow was still really nice from the little storm last weekend. We were able to get into some fun lines in great conditions; probably the best day of the year.

Here's another little video (I try to keep these things around a minute). Guest appearance by a forum member who likes volcanoes; name starts with B, rhymes with cool (or gruel).

https://vimeo.com/87124166

Prey for snow!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:44 pm 

I want to ride like Ryan. Maybe I need a fish print jacket too. And to be 20 years younger. :wink:

That was a fun day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:41 am 

That looks pretty fun. Any noted whomping,instabilities? May open up my season this saturday!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:27 pm 

TEX wrote:
That looks pretty fun. Any noted whomping,instabilities? May open up my season this saturday!!

Mainly just the poor snowpack structure in spots with 2+ feet of facets and depth hoar at the bottom that are scary. Buried pretty deep in spots, not in others. Outside of mammoth snowpack is much thinner. I'd certainly expect new snow instabilities after this next storm (there's some near surface faceting going on around a pretty stout windslab atm). http://esavalanche.org/

Have fun and stay safe!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:41 pm 

UPGRAYEDD_2505 wrote:
Earnyourturn wrote:

Do you know anyone else with that fish print jacket? :wink: Hopefully it actually snows next week (knock on wood).

Got out a few days ago and the snow was still really nice from the little storm last weekend. We were able to get into some fun lines in great conditions; probably the best day of the year.

Here's another little video (I try to keep these things around a minute). Guest appearance by a forum member who likes volcanoes; name starts with B, rhymes with cool (or gruel).

https://vimeo.com/87124166

Prey for snow!

I actually saw another guy at June rocking the salmon jacket! I went up to say hi and it wasn't him! Have you been getting out much? It was good there for a couple days after the storm. Let me know if you're looking to get out there i'm always down. Phone number is 209-241-7070 give me a shout

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:29 pm 

Earnyourturn wrote:
I actually saw another guy at June rocking the salmon jacket! I went up to say hi and it wasn't him! Have you been getting out much? It was good there for a couple days after the storm. Let me know if you're looking to get out there i'm always down. Phone number is 209-241-7070 give me a shout

That's really funny, I yelled at that dude from the lift to say hi and he was all "Wrong guy." I'll send you a message through this site later this week. I got out a little bit since the big storm last weekend. Kinda heavy and manky at first but tuesday was definitely the best day of the year (I say that a lot :guinness: ):

floyd and buell

Yesterday we went out looking for decent snow and had an awesome time cruising moderate but wild terrain in the lakes basin.

Here's another gaper-pro video. Not trying to be a spraylord perry, but these things are fun and easy to make. Might as well share. Forgive me.

https://vimeo.com/88606102

:guinness: :guinness: :guinness: