Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 3/07/14 Matterhorn area-Sawtooth Range-Eastern Sierra
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:54 am 

Nice Brooks! What's with the shitty winters? Must be all that global warming, huh!? Just kidding man :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:33 am 

buell wrote:
Up in Virginia Lakes today. My second line on a north facing gully with shallow snow had an ECTN at the bottom but half way up I got three ECT6s in row. 8" of wind slab over small grained facets from the last storm. Luckily the slope was still 31* at that point. I got out of there. The avy danger is quite variable depending on the drainage.

Wow, that's pretty reactive. Glad you backed off. I really should be doing ECT's instead of just compression tests...I need to get my ass in an avy course next year. I always put off Avy 2 cuz I never wanted to spend the money on Avy 1 (which I've never taken). People from UT and CO probably think I'm a kook having never had formal training :) (I have had certified Avy 3 friends teach me shit...just not enough)

Haha Schwalbster! Definitely climate change driven by solar irradiance and other factors for sure! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:31 am 

Beautiful pics! Thanks for the eastside stoke!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:03 pm 

so rad. love your eastside photos. that first photo is fucking great.
Fun area would love to go back sometime. Had me digging through my old photos and reliving my trip up there a few years ago. Thanks for the stoke BG!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:16 pm 

Wonderful pics.

Upgrayd: They hired somebody but I wouldn't expect much as it's just focused on the Sonora sled zone and it's a one person forecast/info center. I consider it baby steps towards better avy forecasting for the Sierra.

Buell: ECTP 6 right? (P for propagation) That is reactive. Good on ya for noticing the small facets under the windslab. We get those all the time but there are often overlooked.

Curious to hear about coverage and snow structure further south in the high sierra.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:30 pm 

Awesome pics!!! The mountains in our backyard are amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:19 pm 

dishwasher-dave wrote:
Wonderful pics.

Upgrayd: They hired somebody but I wouldn't expect much as it's just focused on the Sonora sled zone and it's a one person forecast/info center. I consider it baby steps towards better avy forecasting for the Sierra.

Buell: ECTP 6 right? (P for propagation) That is reactive. Good on ya for noticing the small facets under the windslab. We get those all the time but there are often overlooked.

Curious to hear about coverage and snow structure further south in the high sierra.

Yes, 6 hand taps for the 8" wind slab to collapse on a 90 cm wide ECT. The shear was clean but it did not jump out at me. From what I have seen, it was an isolated weak spot. The snow was shallow, roughly 70 cm. The facets were from the storm last weekend. I have not seen any near surface faceting of that snow layer till then. Much of the snow I have been riding on has been much deeper though, so the temperature gradient was steeper on this slope than most I have been on recently. Plus we just had a couple of chilly nights.

Most of the high sierra is shallow and I expect quite subject to depth hoar and near surface faceting with cool nights, even though the current forecast is low danger. I have not been too far south of Mammoth since the last storm but I was in the Bishop area mountains and farther south just before the storm and there was very little snow on the peaks. Mammoth Crest has quite a bit and the Negatives have more than average.

Back to Oregon for us this week. We are absolutely planning to be back next winter. It is a beautiful place, even with low snow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:41 pm 

Shredtacular! Nice TR Brooks, that may inspire me to get in there before summer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:18 pm 

Outstanding photos!! Thanks for the cool TR.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:40 pm 

Fun TR. Is that a second-generation Solution I see you riding (2012 i think)? How's it holding up? I purchased one (a factory flawed at a low price) at the beginning of the season as a backup board but it's so fun I've wound up making it my primary rig. I have definitely had a fair shake of durability issues though. Curious to hear about your experience.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:30 am 

My solution has had a lot of heelside edge impacts in the same place and it's holding up fine. I actualy have a core shot that fully exposed the edge in one place and a couple weeks ago I slammed the same spot with no more edge damage. It's seen a lot of rocks as we've had shitty snow years since I've purchased it. Same with my first generation flagship. 3 seasons of resort abuse and it's still going strong. Actually, yesterday I slammed a rock heelside going fast down a steep line and it finally bent my edge under my back foot. Of course it would have done the same or worse to any board. I've also heard a lot about Jones lack of durability but I've experienced the exact opposite. I've thrashed the 2 that I've owned and nothing's gone wrong with them. Keep in mind I'm 145lbs soaking wet.

Oh, and people seem to like the photos. I just got a Sony RX100 point and shoot as recommended by a few people in one of the camera threads on here. That little thing is amazing! Blows my old canon point and shoots out of the water. I'm going DSLR free now (I'm selling most of my gear) as it's too expensive, heavy, and I'm too lazy to learn how to become a Jason Hummell, Zach Clanton, or Dan Mingori :) The technology is so friggin' good now that you don't really need a DSLR to take sick photos. I only wish they made a little circular polarizer for this thing. This thing takes crisper photos than my Canon 40D 10megapixel with a $1500 lens. I can crop shots 400% and not lose any detail. It takes great action shots when using manual shutter speeds too. (the first alpenglow shot is my DSLR. Although it looks nice, I took it on shutter speed priority at 1/200 second and the light meter made it super underexposed and it wasn't that sharp. It's the circular polarizer and editing that made the photo. I'm curious what my little Sony would have done with the same shot)

Dan Gates, that photo is BEAUTIFUL!!! What focal length was that thing taken with? I'd put that shit on my wall at home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:53 am 

Nice one BG. Up high seems ok. I think corn season will be about four days long this year :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:12 pm 

damn dude that couloir is sick.. that one shot lends me to believe its pretty filled in..