Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 7 DAYS TOURING AT MT CARLYLE LODGE-BRITISH COLUMBIA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:00 pm 

I was lucky enough to visit the unique Mt Carlyle Backcountry Lodge, located in British Columbia’s famous Selkirk Mountains at an altitude of 7,200 feet, from January 12th to 19th.

Below is a summary of my 7 days spent exploring the amazing surrounding terrain and relaxing and recharging in the boutique lodge – which I should point out has hot water on demand, spacious living quarters, and a pretty fantastic sauna.

MT Carlyle Lodge

Day 1:

Our group of 9, the lodge can accommodate up to 12 guests, took the short helicopter flight up the valley from Kaslo in perfect weather. We got lucky and beat the incoming storm as it pretty much started snowing as soon as we had unloaded the heli-talk about perfect timing and the groups stoke was at an all-time high.

The storm stake actually showed it had snowed 30cm in the last 24hours. Powder turns were calling so we grabbed our gear and headed out to shred. We ripped 2 blower laps below the lodge, carving fall line through trees into the drainage below. The storm snow was beauty and it quickly dawned upon me this was going to be an epic week given the forecast conditions and the position of the lodge.

You can ride directly above or below the lodge, there is alpine/tree line/below tree line terrain, you can bang out quick laps near the lodge or skin further and explore one of the 28 basins within the lodge’s tenure, and there are plenty of big lines if stability and weather permit charging it

Mt Heyland-one of the BIGGER zones in the lodges tenure

Terrain visible from the lodge-a 15 to 20 minute skin and the options are endless

Day 2:

I awoke and although it was still snowing the storm also delivered some pretty strong winds, with gusts up to 60 km/hour forecast.

The group decided to take advantage of the lodges position given the storm and the obvious effects of subsequent wind loading and new snow on the surrounding terrain, with below tree line laps near it being the order of the day.

Although my initial objectives for the day had to be dialled back a little, a super fun day shredding creamy pow in a zone called “rock slides” was had…..and it was still snowing as the sun set and the moon appeared high in the night sky.

Day 3:

Overcast with occasional sunny spells, and although it did not snow all day the storm stake read that a whopping 56cm of snow had fallen since midday Sunday-meaning a total of nearly 90cm of acclaimed “Selkirk Pow” over a period of 72 hours.

Given that the storm had blown over, and that the powder promised to be bottomless, the group set off from the lodge early in the pursuit of face shots. Alpine adventures were ruled out though for the day given the new load on the existing snowpack as a result of the storm snow, so the group toured into Cody Basin.

We were rewarded with some creamy powder laps on an easterly aspect at and below tree line. The group decided to yo yo this zone as the uptrack was in and breaking trail was a hell of an effort with all the new snow.

On the journey back to the lodge a line through the zone named “troll trees” was ripped, and freshies were found even at 3pm….such is the beauty of the backcountry.

After a long day of hooting and hollering the group headed back to the lodge with smiles on our faces.

Day 4:

The group toured directly up and behind the lodge into Carpenter Basin-a quick 15 minute skin and you are changing over and strapping in, preparing to drop down into this zone. Unreal!

As the sun was shining strong in the sky the group decided to seek laps on Northerly/North Easterly aspects. And boy did we find the goods.

Deep powder and great times were had in a zone called “lumbar yard,” which included descents of between 1000’ and 1500’. At the end of the day I proclaimed that those were the best lines of the trip to date, and the group agreed.

However we could not resist scoping Northern Dancer and 3 Musketeers on the trip back to the lodge…perhaps they would be the best runs of the week if conditions were good and we could ride them?

Lines in the Lumbar Yard

Day 5:

Another warm day, with South/South Easterly aspects being super sun affected.

Three of the group (skiers) decided to circumnavigate Mt Carlyle, an epic adventure that took them the best part of 7 hours. Our custodian told us that they were the first to complete the circumnavigation this winter, and they highly recommended it. It is something I seriously hope to complete on my next visit.

I decided to ride some lines just above and below the lodge…after 15 to 20 minutes of skinning I was shredding. The fact that excellent terrain with an abundance of line options is so close to the lodge is amazing.

The day ended with a short skin directly behind the lodge up Prospector Peak to watch the sun set…beautiful.

Lines down Misty Mountain-this can be accessed in 20 to 30 minutes

Sunset at its best

Day 6:

I decided to rest today due to an ongoing knee injury, and with there being strong winds in the alpine and warm temperatures I was somewhat happy to recoup.

However the group reported that Easterly and Westerly facing slopes in Carpenter Basin, Lumbar Yard and Valentines, skied good.

Day 7:

The groups’ last day touring and we were fortunate enough to score the conditions needed to allow us to ride Northern Dancer.

After skinning across the renowned “sky walk,” which allows you incredible views of the surrounding mountain ranges, each individual chose an entry point and one by one we ripped top to bottom.

This aspect is somewhat North Easterly so the snow was soft and with natural roll overs, pillows and some cliff drops being thrown in among the mix the 2 laps were super fun. What an incredible way to end an unforgettable week.

Skinning up towards the Sky Walk

The red line is our laps down Northern Dancer.The green oval indicates the zone called 3 Musketeers

If you get the chance, do yourself a favour and book a trip into Mt Carlyle.

Post subject: Re: 7 DAYS TOURING AT MT CARLYLE LODGE-BRITISH COLUMBIA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:42 am 

You realize that a TR without pictures is like a vaporizer w/o cheeba.

May Yoda hump your face while you sleep, and your cat get knocked up by a racoon.

Your trip sounds RAD...I'm headed up to the Selkirks in a few weeks....Post some pics meng!...please

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:13 am 

Yo splitrippin....bahaha.I attempted 3 times to attach pics bro and maybe I am just semi retarded but I could not get it happening.I will try again over next 48 hrs as i have some dope pics...hang tight man and hopefully you can get some visual stimulation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:54 pm 

Yes! I want the photos too, (and a vaporizer).

Posting photos is fairly easy: However, your can't just attach photos from your computer to splitboard.com. You have to host them to another photo hosting site.

Upload your photos to your computer from your camera.
Pick a website to host them: Picassa, flickr, Imageshack(I use this, like it), Photobucket.... Upload your photos to your host site. When the uploading is done, your host site will give you some codes to link to your photo. Choose the "direct" link.
Copy the direct link, go back to sb.com and click on the IMG button above this window, paste the direct link in the middle of . Click the preview button below this window. Bam your photos should show up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:54 pm 

Pictures are up :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:56 pm 

Looks rad!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:21 pm 

sweet!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:06 pm 

:headbang: :headbang: