Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Video TR: SoCal's upper bowls
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 pm 

Spent a few days last week at some of SoCal's higher stuff. Second time back there. Both times surpassed my expectations for sure.

Post subject: Re: Video TR: SoCal's upper bowls
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:07 pm 

Very good stuff. Wonderful snow, weather and a good variety of shots. Some of the camera shake was a little distracting (in-camera stabilization or post-processing can do wonders) but nicely captured and edited. :thumbsup:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:18 pm 

Thanks for the compliments. The funny thing is that 3 out of the 4 of us have at one point shot professionally and have DSLR's and fancy tripods. We had so much weight already (this place is a slog) that we just made do with little point & shoots and tired shaky hands. The shakiness drives me totally nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 am 

jetlag wrote:
We had so much weight already (this place is a slog) that we just made do with little point & shoots and tired shaky hands. The shakiness drives me totally nuts.

I totally sympathize. With the high quality even mid-level modern cameras produce, one of the main differences between pro and amateur footage is in the stability of the image. I find my Panasonic Lumix ZS20 goes an admirable job even with telephoto video.

In any case, good stuff and good storytelling.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:18 am 

looks great! Thanks for sharing, where in SoCal were you? Since the release of the socal avalanche bulletin, I've been keeping an eye on the events in the area. I had no idea those lines were available there!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:33 am 

fitit wrote:
looks great! Thanks for sharing, where in SoCal were you? Since the release of the socal avalanche bulletin, I've been keeping an eye on the events in the area. I had no idea those lines were available there!

Thanks! There's two good cirques between San Gorgonio, Jepson and Charlton. It's prime avy terrain (35-45 degrees) but we're usually blessed with quick melt/freeze cycles directly after storms so it tends to be stable. I still wouldn't drop my guard though, on the skin in, there's a 200ft wide slide path (from 2 years ago) that completely cleared out old growth forest for over a mile long and 2000 ft vertical drop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:44 am 

For having grown up in SoCal, and learned to snowboard there, I'm always really impressed how good the Socal backcountry looks.
Well done.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm 

jetlag wrote:
fitit wrote:

Thanks! There's two good cirques between San Gorgonio, Jepson and Charlton. It's prime avy terrain (35-45 degrees) but we're usually blessed with quick melt/freeze cycles directly after storms so it tends to be stable. I still wouldn't drop my guard though, on the skin in, there's a 200ft wide slide path (from 2 years ago) that completely cleared out old growth forest for over a mile long and 2000 ft vertical drop.

Here is a good shot showing that area you are talking about. Thanks for the TR!
http://statigr.am/viewer.php#/detail/561871302_4863144

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:41 am 

Nice Video. Always looking for car poolers from SD to the east side. Interested?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:56 am 

Great stuff... More evidence that this 'bad year' really, isn't too bad... :)

Need to figure out a way to get back to the eastside sooner... Hopefully something in March will help give it a good refresh for the spring....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:38 pm 

That looks like one hell of a fun trip....Nice One fellas! I didn't find the camera shake too bad...or maybe it was the mushrooms kicking back in :thumpsup:

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:26 pm 

TEX wrote:
Nice Video. Always looking for car poolers from SD to the east side. Interested?

Definitely dude. Just hoping it fills in a bit more up there soon. PM me if youre ever heading up.

SPLITRIPPIN wrote:
I didn't find the camera shake too bad...

Yeah I let Youtube do it's thing with their shakiness filter, a lot more tolerable now despite some of the shots looking warped and funny frame rates. Could still be the shrooms though ha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:30 pm 

That looks like great terrain. I just finished my move from Portland to West LA today. I hadn't been on the Split since the first week of January. I had been living in a hotel for 6 weeks and my gear was in storage. I had two great days on Mt Hood this past weekend to get my legs and stoke back. I'm ready to see what the Bishop area has to offer.

I've talked with a few of you guys about getting out. I still have those emails. I'll be reaching out soon to coordinate some adventures.