Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Monks Line, Kootenay Pass
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:47 pm 

Seeing as how our numbers had dwindled to just two, some calling in sick, others bailing for lack of fresh, curiosity got the better of my friend Jesse and I. And so we turned what would have been a mellow day ripping glades with a crew into a 'casual' undertaking of pretty badass chute here in the Kootenays.

Started off by making a beeline for Lightning Strike & dropping into Twin Lakes. Instead of the usual up track to the north shoulder of the Muffin, we made for the back bowl and a low col to gain the ridge.

Our line is in there...

Looking back to Lightning Strike.

Traversing the ridge around was a bit of an undertaking and probably the most exposure either of us had subjected too yet this season. Boards off, kicking steps in rotten facetted snow... uhhh, verts would've been nice.... Once around however... the views got even better.

Ripple Mountain.

The mandatory entrance shot...

Winning rock-paper-scissors I got the first tracks (and ski cut....). What a glorious run it was! No wind affect, snow was firm but super forgiving and not grabby, sluff was minimal and light. Timing (and luck) are everything it seems! Line of the year so far! (For reference that's Jesse up top about to drop in...)

Jesse picking up some awesome seconds!

Slayed!

We were pretty amped by that point, and figured the best way to celebrate would be to let that line stand on its own. Made back for Twin Lakes and decided to hit up the Muffin shoulder down to the Banana chute back to the highway. Let the jibfest start!

Banana... Muffin?

Solid day, solid line, solid friend. I love getting the opportunity to explore and poke around terrain that perks my interest, go that little bit further just to see what's around the bend. That last slog back to the car might be hell, but dream lines don't always come along everyday.

Post subject: Re: A Monks Line, Kootenay Pass
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:01 am 

It's hard to find people willing to push it and put that extra effort in to get to the good stuff.
:thumpsup: for yu and Jesse.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:32 am 

Looks like good times, blue skies and awesome terrain. Thanks for sharing :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:08 pm 

Super stoked on you guys!!! Looks like an awesome line!!! Planning a camp out not this week but the next, you interested Davis?

Boots: Salomon Malamutes
SnowSurf Pads: Almond MFG.