Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Haines, AK
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:58 pm 

Seriously inspiring, awesome how you captured the sense of the place. Thanks for sharing, man.

What kind of video equipment were you rocking, if you don't mind my asking? I've had an itch to try and document more and have just started trying to sort out the logistics and usefulness of electronics in cold-fuck nowhere.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:24 pm 

CoryDog wrote:
Seriously inspiring, awesome how you captured the sense of the place. Thanks for sharing, man.

What kind of video equipment were you rocking, if you don't mind my asking? I've had an itch to try and document more and have just started trying to sort out the logistics and usefulness of electronics in cold-fuck nowhere.

Between us we had 2 goPro's,a Canon G12 and a small Sony HD SSD video camera thats a couple of years old.We would have all electronics in our sleeping bags at night.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:26 pm 

How long were you guys out there for? I've been wanting to hit up Haines for a long time! Maybe next year!

Was the $400 flight to drop you off and pick you up?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:27 am 

FirstAscent wrote:
How long were you guys out there for? I've been wanting to hit up Haines for a long time! Maybe next year!

Was the $400 flight to drop you off and pick you up?

we were out for 10 days. The only reason we left was that it warmed up so much and we needed to move spots, so we went back to town to wait it out but we ran out of time before the next weather window. It was $450/hr with drake, so it depends on where you go and how much recon you do. 20 mins and you can be in the goods if you want.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:13 pm 

Thanks for the info Wilkez! Looks like an amazing experience.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:47 am 

Super nice! It is really itching in my whole body.
Gotta get out soon!

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:37 am 

Was there ever any wind there? Video makes it look pretty windless. I have a buddy that wants to do an AK trip and the plane dropoff into the high glacier area is exactly my dream. Being able to combo incredible gravity drops + kite that type of area would ... well ... its THE dream for me. I'm not going to talk him into making that exploit if the wind potential is not there. Wouldn't need nuclear - just nice solid 15-20mph(24-32kph) type winds. Much more than that & the snow gets F*cked.

Thanks! Amazing stoke. I'm pretty positive that as well done as everything is - doesn't come close to doing justice to being there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:27 pm 

I know of a bunch of people that have kited up there on the glaciers. Not sure if they were kiting for the sake of kiting, or just using them for access on long approaches, but there is wind. Like any mountainous area, it's pretty unpredictable, and winds can be viscous there. I don't know enough to say if it's a worthy destination strictly for kiting purposes, but if I was going and had the gear I'd certainly bring it. If you're serious about it, call the guys at the heli ops up there, and see if you can track down Drake (the pilot that does all the glacier drops in the area).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:17 pm 

lewmt wrote:
Was there ever any wind there? Video makes it look pretty windless. I have a buddy that wants to do an AK trip and the plane dropoff into the high glacier area is exactly my dream. Being able to combo incredible gravity drops + kite that type of area would ... well ... its THE dream for me. I'm not going to talk him into making that exploit if the wind potential is not there. Wouldn't need nuclear - just nice solid 15-20mph(24-32kph) type winds. Much more than that & the snow gets F*cked.

Thanks! Amazing stoke. I'm pretty positive that as well done as everything is - doesn't come close to doing justice to being there.

well there are lots of big, open, flat glaciers so I'm sure you can kite on it in the right conditions. It wasn't windy when we were there, but it's alaska...I'm sure there's wind. We hit 8/10 days cracker bluebird as good as it gets...which is pretty lucky and unrepresentative