Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt Maude North Face, Washington Cascades.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:40 am 

I'm cross posting, sue me. I posted a report from the same route a couple springs ago.

Anything worth doing once, is worth doing twice. Or even 3 times in Eric Svege's case. Funny how things work out sometimes, becasue I was supposed to spend this weekend on the couch. I'd all but bailed on all my friends, including an ambitous pan of Eric's up north... and Leyland and Ben, who wound up on the unreportable. Saturday a.m. I get a surpise phone call from Eric. Plans changed as much as the weather this week, and we found ourselves on the same page as far as general location. Eric agreed to pick me up at my place and we would go from there.

With questionable conditons, and little beta, we came prepared.

Thankfully, mt bikes, hiking shoes, kayaks, pogo sticks, and ropes and harnesses all got left behind. And we had a rad ride to the TH camp spot. I rode girlfriend, or gay tandem. Which ever you prefer to call it. There where a few long streches of road melted out, but auto access is a LONG way off.

Super alpine start on Sunday. great spring travel conditons, even in the steep tree sections though ski crampons where helpful. Eric did an awesome error free job of route finding in the dark. We did a mix of skinning and booting to the summit of Maude on the standard south route from Ice Lakes. It was warm and sunny with a little breeze, and one lonely mountain goat was on top to greet us... we decided on the north face thinking there would be a better chance, and more room, to find good snow. That there was.

ice lakes

Decent was superb, exhilarating even, with a bit of everything except for bad skiing. it was rippable with caution? Conditions where such that each section looked suspect for lurking ice or thin snow cover. All the sense firing on high alert, max adrenaline. All the reasons I like to ride steep lines. Powder up top turning to spring down low.

After hopping the schrund we dedcided to keep riding the smooth corn to nearly the valley bottum... took a break to melt water,eat, and just enjoy the moment. A moment you could stay forever, but we still had a lot of travel and day left ahead. Skinning back up to the col we noticed the ghosts of previous tracks from the previous week or two. Now it was beyond warm, barely a breeze, and the sun was beating on us. With two beat up bodies, we decided to forego the ambitous plan of reclimbing for the west cooler. For the exit, we climbed most of teh peak to the south of Maude, then had a spicy, loose, chosy down climb to get to a neat ramp down to chimpmunk basin. basin road fast, but a little sticky. Riding the trees and chutes to the valley bottum where a little heavy and a work out. but still smooth, and oh so fun.

Getting back to camp seemed to take forever and i really wanted to stop for a swim or something. Eric cruised out and had camp packed up by the time I slinked back. The sled out went pretty quick. Road melt had made the straches of bare longer. the view from the front of a sled ripping down the wrong side of snow free asphalt road with no snow in sight is trippy.

Post subject: Re: Mt Maude North Face, Washington Cascades.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:42 am 

Photo embedding didn't work. Can't wait to see the pics though. Sounds fun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:48 am 

thanks man! fixed it...

Here's a couple pics I took of the north face 2 years ago.

Eric may have gotten a couple pics of me riding this time. I'll post them when I get them

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:57 am 

sick dude you always get after it way gnarly. i was wondering when you were gonna post another tr on here. The H comes before the E, but after the T.

last time we got old lady boobs, this time we got gay tandem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:37 am 

Nice ale, and I agree, definitely a line worth repeating. May I ask how much vert there is on the face itself, say top to 'schrund?

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:39 am 

Teh sickness!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:17 pm 

Thanks Christopher. Killclimbz can attest t what a POS my pc is. TRing with pics is a pain, and takes toomuch time. By the time I upload, download, and crossload... not to mention my malfunctioning keyboard... it's froze!! GRRRR!

most times Ijust lurk and post words from my phone.

Barrows. I would guess 1600' of 45+ to schrund, and then another 1400' to the valley. it's about an 8,000' day, most fall line and steepish.

HFT, I couldn't make up my mind. I liked the powder cloud, but think this one looks better. Minus my weak phto tech skills.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:02 pm 

Good stuff Ale!

Snowmo+splitboard+verts/crampons=unstoppable! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:31 pm 

sick!!!

good call on the location. looks like you found better weather and better snow than we did on the peak that shall not be mentioned.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:55 am 

Nice work slaying her for a second time!

Your original Maude TR was a classic and a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:27 am 

Funny how much attention the snowmobile approach got from the local haters. especially considering my usuall travel habits.

Some knuckleheads drove ten miles up the rd In a 2 wheel drive, leaving huge ruts, making canadian tandem(standing side by side) impossible. Not to mention, notice how the skis are racked? One slip and they are taking out your legs on the way past. The weight of the overnight gear and passenger on the bac was hard hard for the driver and even more for the sled. But yeah, whatever it takes to get you there.

Thanks Kyle. Heard rumors of who's tracks them might have been. Hope they had a good trip!