Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vertigo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:34 am 

What is the difference between Labrynthitus and Vertigo? I had something which affected my balance to the point that i couldn't stand or walk, i had rolling vision and was violently sick for hours, and was hospitalised for 4 days and given an MRI scan to rule out other causes. Now, months later my vision is still not right! The Dr's said what i had was viral Labrynthitus, but others have said it is the same thing as Vertigo?

Post subject: Re: vertigo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:42 am 

From wiki.....

Labyrinthitis is an inflammation of the inner ear,[1] and a form of unilateral vestibular dysfunction. It derives its name from the labyrinths that house the vestibular system (which sense changes in head position). Labyrinthitis can cause balance disorders.

In addition to balance control problems, a labyrinthitis patient may encounter hearing loss and tinnitus. Labyrinthitis is usually caused by a virus, but it can also arise from bacterial infection, head injury, extreme stress, an allergy or as a reaction to a particular medication. Both bacterial and viral labyrinthitis can cause permanent hearing loss, although this is rare.

A prominent and debilitating symptom of labyrinthitis is severe vertigo

The brain combines visual cues with sensory input from the vestibular system to determine adjustments required to retain balance.

This can also be brought on by pressure changes such as those experienced while flying or scuba diving....MOUNTAINEERING.

Recovery from acute labyrinthine inflammation generally takes from one to six weeks; however, it is not uncommon for residual symptoms (dysequilibrium and/or dizziness) to last for many months or even years[5] if permanent damage occurs