Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AK - Girdwood to Valdez
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:23 am 

First time in the mecca for my friend and I this year.

Had an amazing trip despite our problems and reworking of the plans due to VHC failing on us. Spent two weeks in a RV splitting, one day at Alyeksa spinning chairs, one day lapping nicks happy valley with Big Mountain Taxi (highly recommend these guys, Jeremy is awesome), one down day while three feet of fresh graced the pass, and one day on a ferry where we gave a fellow splitter a lift afterwards (if you're reading this, Hi Roy :) )

I don't have a tonne of great pics of each spot but I am piecing together a vid that I'll post up here when I'm finished, the vids have far more of the riding/skinning images.

Started out in anchorage renting the RV, then headed down to girdwood for a couple of days. Met up with D-Green who showed us a local sweet spot, did a quick lap in the afternoon. (Thanks dusty!) My apologys to AK_split, we just didn`t have any other days out there to get intouch before heading out, would`ve liked to meet more locals!

Image After my first AK run guided by Dusty :)

Image The rig

Image The drying room

Image What? Me? Baked? nahhh

Image after taking a trip back out to the secret spot ourselves!

Image Prepping for come compression tests.

Image midway up our climb outside girdwood.

Image back at the rig that day

After we left Girdwood, we took the long road to Valdez at night, scary ass drive this time of year. Stopped halfway in glenallen and parked outside a wells fargo for a nights rest……..the completed the journey the next day, roll into Valdez, pick up a copy of Matt Kinney’s guide book at prospector outfitters – then head directly up dayville road to ski around the pipeline (benzene alley I believe? Just west of sugarloaf) in the prettiest weather we’d seen yet:

That was a good day of laps out there. A sweet little blue hole gave us the perfect intro to the terrain out there. Absolutely mind blowing, and my friend and I have experienced most of north America, and a few parts of Europe. Thompson pass/Valdez is truly a gem like no other.

Image Little matterhorn

Image We brought plenty of “supplies”

Image Saw some real Alaskan sights

Image Some nice roadside views

Image Dusty, even though there’s no skin track here, feel free to add this to your bottomless splitting picture collection I’m sure you’ve got somewhere LOL

As the bluebirds kept rolling in we sought prettier objectives, this day we headed up to Berlin wall through nick’s happy valley

Image breaking trail

Image Verting up the shoulder

After a long day we headed back down into town, took in some local sights.

Image YEP!

We had a bit of fun that night

Then we camped out at the gun range to attempt a climb behind it the next day, but awoke to a couple feet of fresh weighing down our plans.

Image digging in the morning

Image Then redigging the snow that had fallen between 8am and 11am

Image The equipment sent up to “plow” the road 

But by the following day, we getting smiled upon again and went out to test the newly settled mank.

We had went back out to benzene alley because in the lower elevations around valdez the snow had not bonded super well yet. We decided to stick to lowangle terrain we’d already seen, and lucked out bigtime. The cat driver who services the dam lifted us 90% of the way for Free.99 and we shredded on our solids.

Image The day after we decided to take it easy and bang off some road runs, a neat pic that make me think of the littlest hobo.

Image I fuelled most of my trip with PB sangers.

Image And before we left, when we arrived back in anchorage we camped in a walmart parking lot – and in the least likely of places, ran into a lil moose calf. Freaked the shit out of me when I pulled in there, didn’t see her until we were stopped 5 feet from her LOL

Image And that is all!

Here’s a link to a few of the spot adventures I’ve exported, theres one or two from around girdwood and maybe 4 from around valdez. I have to say I really like that little tool.
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/prof ... r_id=79515
Shred on boys and if you haven`t done GET YOUR ASS TO FUCKING ALASKA!!!!

Post subject: Re: AK - Girdwood to Valdez
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:43 am 

Badass!! :headbang:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:08 pm 

Thanks man! twas a BA trip, surely one for the books for myself. I'd love to commit to heading to AK again next year, but our loose plans so far are to "follow the storms"....we lucked out with snow there this year, but may have looser plans next time around.

Shred on boys! :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:54 am 

Oh Joe, you do not want to start this war with me :nononno:...

for you may end up with something like this on your trip report...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, but that picture of yours was wrong and now all the splitboard.com'rs are spitting up their coffees and gouging out their eyes. hahahahahaha

Anyways, it was a pleasure to meet you two and be able to show a little AK hospitality :doobie:. Glad to hear that Valdez treated you well too. Until next time... PEACE!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:52 pm 

i love snowboard trips.

i'm jealous, and now i want to go on one.

but please, (unless some girls want to chime in) can we end the nudity thing already?