Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Powder Paradise: AK 2011-2012 Mid-Season Update
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:21 pm 

Yeah-Right On :D

Thanks for checking out my pics folks.

Jdoniel- we need to connect again soon. sorry I have not been in touch I have been running around scattered everywhere for work and mostly just riding on a whim whenever possible.

Spruce Cabin- I've dug a few pits this year but #1 we have been having a phenomenal winter both in terms of snow and stability. Big dumps come in, avi's cycle for a few days and the danger goes generally Low, across the board. The interface's seem to bond just perfectly. Its been surreal actually. People4 have been riding massive steep lines here since at least December. #2 we have really solid forecasters here that work really hard everyday and produce some very quality and, in my experience, reliable daily advisories. Now none of this is to say I dont stay on my toes 24/7, I do for sure. But digging pits has only been extremely necessasry a few times.

As far as approches to deciding lines go, yes, I have pre scouted most all the lines I have rode this year. I take photos from a ridge away. Analysze the lines I am interested in at home and then bring the photo with me to the ridge in question on the day I attempt something. Most stuff is really steep and its very hard to tell where you are at when you are on top of something without having the photo as reference. I look for landmarks in the terrain , study the photo before I drop and try to follow at set plan. If you just drop in blind around here you have a really good chance of ending up cliffed out or sloughed out or just missing the most epic route possible. Of course climbing a route is always an option too, but its generlaly easier to get to lines around here from a ridge (safer too!).

Post subject: Re: Powder Paradise: AK 2011-2012 Mid-Season Update
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:59 pm 

snowsavage wrote:
Spruce Cabin- I've dug a few pits this year but #1 we have been having a phenomenal winter both in terms of snow and stability. Big dumps come in, avi's cycle for a few days and the danger goes generally Low, across the board. The interface's seem to bond just perfectly. Its been surreal actually. People4 have been riding massive steep lines here since at least December. #2 we have really solid forecasters here that work really hard everyday and produce some very quality and, in my experience, reliable daily advisories. Now none of this is to say I dont stay on my toes 24/7, I do for sure. But digging pits has only been extremely necessasry a few times.

As far as approches to deciding lines go, yes, I have pre scouted most all the lines I have rode this year. I take photos from a ridge away. Analysze the lines I am interested in at home and then bring the photo with me to the ridge in question on the day I attempt something. Most stuff is really steep and its very hard to tell where you are at when you are on top of something without having the photo as reference. I look for landmarks in the terrain , study the photo before I drop and try to follow at set plan. If you just drop in blind around here you have a really good chance of ending up cliffed out or sloughed out or just missing the most epic route possible. Of course climbing a route is always an option too, but its generlaly easier to get to lines around here from a ridge (safer too!).

:bow:

CO vs AK = two different planets.

Thank you kindly for the beta!
You are killing it up there.
Livin' life vicariously through you (and many others here!)!

Cheers,
SC