Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitboarding in Afghanistans Koh-E-Baba Mountains
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:42 pm 

Hey there
This is my first post. Thought I would share a few pictures from a NZAID sponsored Eco Tourism Development project I have been working on for the last 2 months in the Koh-E-Baba mountains of Afghanistan, The Aim of the project is to promote Bamyan province as a winter ski destination and also to train 4 locals to become ski guides. I guide on a spitboard, we had one splitboard donated to our project from a Welshman called Mark, cheers mate! So hopefully at least one guide will become Afghanistan's first splitboard guide! The Koh-E-Baba has a sick amount of terrain that rises up to 5000m, light dry powder, although this season was a low snow year, so combined with very low night time temps, minus 30 at 2500m where we were living, meant some pretty touchy avalanche conditions due to lingering large depth hoar..but their were still lots of options to ride nice lines this year if you utilize the terrain. Bamyan, the base town you ride from is around a 40 min flight from Kabul and feels a million miles away from your pre conceived ideas of Afghanistan, Bayman is laid back, by far the most peaceful area in Afghanistan and home to the Hazara people, an ethnic minority that make up 9% of the population, super cool, on to it people. There is one local company offering guided trips called Rah-e-Abrisham ( Silk Road) run by Gul, an awesome local... A few pictures here on flickr..have not used this before so hopefully works ????????

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69489680@N08/?saved=1

I was riding a 168 Prior with old school voile base plates with burton bindings, Old K2 T1 boots ( Would of preferred my old Kofach Super pipes aka early 90s but after 10 years of use they fell to bits a few years ago and it has been hard to find anything similar, rigid but soft, high back, good for crampons, they were my ultimate backcountry snowboard boot) Riding somewhere isolated like Afghanistan I enjoyed having a simple binding system such as the voile.. reliable, simple and cheap...Tried some Karakoram binding over there, had a few issues with icing up due to very cold temps, so change over taking ages and also a client I was guiding when using these bindings touring up hill with the risers up high had issues with the toe piece actually coming off the board while doing kick turns on the skin up...not ideal..and if the snow was a bit harder could of meant one of the skis/board flying down the hill. They do look slick and it is great to see lots of new developments in splitboard bindings. Also saw some of the new Soft/splitboard specific boots Deelux? I personally found them a bit gimmicky and what looks like pretty cheap construction....softening up at the toe really quickly after being with a client after a 6 day tour, depends I guess how you are using them, not really made for high alpine splitting missions.
Sweet
Steve

Post subject: Re: Splitboarding in Afghanistans Koh-E-Baba Mountains
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:55 pm 

Sweet! Nice 1st post.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:39 pm 

please keep posting...{insert all smile thingies here}

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:34 pm 

sick :drool:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:03 am 

Sweet pics and love what you're doing out there! Curious, who funded this and how's the results been?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:10 am 

WHOA, WHOA, Get back here. You post from Afganistan, where we have been at war and all youhave is five or six photos? MORE MORE MORE tell us more. How did you get over there, where did you land. How safe/hard was it to get to the mountains. Are you in any danger ( from NATO bombing?)

Please sign back on and show us villages, people, food

you know, real life stuff. All we get here is war reporting

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:54 pm 

This is really cool, thanks so much, and welcome to Splitboard.com. I look forward to (hopefully) hearing more about your developments in Afghanistan-certainly the mountains there are serious, and if there is good snow, a zone really worth exploring and finding some great lines.
I truly hope that you will tell us more about your adventures there.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:43 pm 

Great TR! currently flying over here in Afghanistan near Bamyan. Beautiful mountains; an entire country of splitboard/backcountry potential. I have seen lines that are unbelievable; terrain so diverse in the Hindu Kush it boggles the mind. Hopefully soon this resource will be available to all; best of luck with the guide service and more tour info please!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:01 am 

Great you guys are interested in this project. This was the last year of a 3 year start up project funded by NZ AID to help Eco Tourism in the Bamiyan province. Hopefully there is some funding floating around next year, it will be great that some of the locals will be able to eventually make a livelihood out of ski guiding. If anyone ever plans to go there the contact person is Gull, he lives in Bayman and runs a cool little guesthouse, all mudbrick, solar power, wood stoves and great local food... his email is gullhussien@yahoo.com and I would also be stoked to help out, Gull use to work for the Eco Tourism department in Bamyan with the Aga Khan Foundation, a very well respected international NGO.There is a PDF of the Ski Afghanistan guidebook that is worth checking out,The Aga Khan Foundation in Kabul have a few hard copies if anyone is keen. The guidebook was written by American Chad Dear and Laurie Ashley, it is free to download, not sure how I put it on this site? I am back in NZ now, actually stoked I got out before a couple of Americans at an air base decided to burn the Quran, not the best thing to do to encourage peaceful relations, so safety in a lot of areas has taken a temporary (well hopefully just a temporary step backwards). Bamyan where we ski is really removed from most of the trouble that is typically concentrated in the South and isolated bits of the North. The People in Bamyan are modern, educated people, free University!! They all have cell phones and most of the young people have lap tops!!. Before the war with Russsia, that started 30 years ago Bamiyan had 60000- 100000 tourist a year!! Now it is more like 1000-2000, mostly people working for NGOs and the UN.

Threw a few more shots of everyday life in Bamyan on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69489680@N08/?saved=1

Have a good vid of ripping out a class 2, might try to upload at some stage!! Inspiring looking at some of the posts on this site, looks like Rogers has been cooking this year!!

Sweet
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:42 am 

AWESOME !! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 pm 

MOAR!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:56 pm 

Yeah, The fact that you posted lines from Afghanistan is pretty freekin sweet. Kudos to you for promoting this. It's nice to see something positive coming out of that corner of the world. Fawk bullshit oil company holy wars...lets fawkin shred!

Keep postin' buddy, and as TEX mentioned... more lifestyle shots as well.

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:20 pm 

SPLITRIPPIN wrote:
Yeah, The fact that you posted lines from Afghanistan is pretty freekin sweet. Kudos to you for promoting this. It's nice to see something positive coming out of that corner of the world. Fawk bullshit oil company holy wars...lets fawkin shred!

Keep postin' buddy, and as TEX mentioned... more lifestyle shots as well.

+1000! Armies out of Afghanistan, and shredding tourists in.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/