Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mid-summer Mt. Adams
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:01 pm 

Been awhile since I've been on the board, getting that itch, figured I'd share a couple pics from a TR I did this summer. Not epic conditions (well, the sun was insane, but the snow was....insanely bad) but fun nonetheless.

Our meet up time was delayed by a few hours, I took a nap at the Walmart (aka our overnite car dropoff spot) while waiting for my buddy Steve to pick me up. He finally got there, we headed out.

First glimpse of Adams helped wake me up :bananas:

View looking towards Hood on the dirt road up to our trailhead. You'll notice is looks like dusk out.

As seems to be typical for my Cascade volcano trips we hiked into the night. Headed out of the parking lot around 9PM. About a mile in Steve said he could feel a blister forming. Apparently my warning about being a damn fool wearing new boots went unheeded. :wink:

Quick patch job on his heel, a quick pep talk about him being a damn fool, and we were on our way again. The moon wasn't full, and was the craziest pink color (that didn't come out in photos), but with the light reflecting off the snow we were able to go pretty much the entire way on natural light. So sick. Snow was perfect for climbing, just soft enough to get purchase, just hard enough to get purchase.

Eventually we made it up to where we'd camp for the nite. Tell me this doesn't look like a comfortable spot for a tent?

We woke up to a BEAUTIFUL day, tripped balls on the views, and went about our way on a nice Hawaii time alpine start.

Headed up, St. Helens in the background.

It was icy as f... so basically played Chewbacca/C3P0 with my board the entire way up. Yay.

After a few hours of icy steps and WIND once we hit the false summit we were there. Beautiful day, insane views, blew virtual film.

Summit panorama. Large image, not sure how to set it so it's a small preview image here, anybody ??

Would have loved to wait a few hours for the SW chutes to soften up, but as I had plans back in Portland early afternoon I had to roll out. The turns were uneventful bordering on miserable, knee deep + suncups, hard as hell, but whatever - most people don't have the opportunity to surf one day and climb a snowcapped peak the next to make August turns! Siiiiiiiick :thatrocks:

Post subject: Re: Mid-summer Mt. Adams
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:52 am 

The first time I snowboarded adams i drove out to oswald and went surfing that evening. The hardest part was the drive thru portland at rush hour. Its nice to have so many options close to home