Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: West Kootenay Summit Baggin
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:59 am 

Happy Holidays from the West Kootenays. I've been reading a lot of good TRs lately and thought I would add one myself. Now being that I am a new father with an eight month old daughter at home, days on my splitter have been limited. That being said I have a rad woman who understands my need for adventure.

Our season started out promising until a rain event rolled through destroying lower elevations and putting a hamper on the fluffy stuff. No worries though there is plenty enough to ride in the Nelson Range. So far Vince(dastarddownhill) and I have managed three summits in three days of riding.

Our first day out in this area was a trip to Ripple Mnt. 2334m (not to be confused with Ripple Ridge). We made a very early start and followed the highway skintrack up to lightening strikes, where we dropped south and away from anyones tracks. We managed to ride (with a short bootin) to the headwaters of Monk Cr. From here we climbed north and gained a saddle on the east ridge of Ripple where we had to boot up the ridge to the summit. On the top we were rewarded with zero views and moderate winds, but damn was the south face a blast. Good snow and good pitch! Post high fives we climbed back to the saddle and dropped north for my favorite run of the day. From there we skinned to a col above Twin Lakes and made turns to valley bottom just before it got dark. On went the headlamps for the skin back to the car.

Vince Bootin up Ripple Mnt.

Check out those shiny boots!

Summit of Ripple Mnt.

For our next summit we decided on a full moon climb and ride of Mt.Ymir 2398m. A high pressure system was holding steady and a full moon shining when we arrived at the base of Whitewater Ski Hill. At 9:30 pm we started the skin up the ski hill to Blasters ridge. Looking around reminded me of why I haven't rode a chair lift in years! We gained blasters ridge and proceeded up the typical route to the top. The moon was shining so bright there was no need for headlamps. Winds remained light until we hit the summit where we nearly got blown of the mountain. A short boot pack down the north ridge and we were out of the wind and putting our boards together. The wind got much worse as we entered our line, but chilled again after a couple of turns. The snow was good and the run was awesome. Upon hitting the resort boundary we hit a groomer (for the first time in forever) back to the car, Night riding is fuckin fun!

When do the lifts open?

Mt.Ymir around midnight.

Me on the summit.

Looking up at the summit from our not so windy prech.

Our third trip was on Vinces birthday. Vince decided that South Sister 2387m was attainable in one day. With high powered headlamps who was I to argue. We made a six o'clock start at the lower east parking lot. From the car we made a bline up to Rock Ridge Pass where typical Kootenay Pass fog rolled in. We then dropped north down an incredibly fun run down to Carolina Cr. Another climb up to Curtis Pass then a descent to the north brought us to Curtis Lake. At the lake we had some lunch and enjoyed the lack of views. The fog became so thick at this point we could barely make out the trees right beside us! From here we contoured for a couple kms before climbing up to a saddle between The Sister and a unamed peak to the south. From here it was an easy climb to the summit. We made it just in time to ride with daylight. From the bottom we followed our contour back to Curtis Lake. A quick climb up to Curtis Pass and we were strapping on headlamps for a wicked ride back to Carolina Cr. A quick changeover and 420 and we began our final climb up to Rock Ridge Pass. One more time strapping on the Headlamps and we enjoyed our final run of the daynight! 14.5hrs later and we were back at the car.

Caribou Tracks.

Cooltree on the lower slopes of South Sister.

Not far from the summit.

Vince skins so fast he leaves a trail of light!

So things are going good out this way. More to come boys and girls.

Post subject: Re: West Kootenay Summit Baggin
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:26 am 

Way to get after it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:03 pm 

awesome photos! Love the night shots, especially the last one!

Tread light, Shred hard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:57 pm 

ya dave!!! wicked to see you back!!! congrats by the way on the new baby!! and being a rd father!!! hey lets get after it sometime. next time your gonna for a shred give me a holla!

Boots: Salomon Malamutes
SnowSurf Pads: Almond MFG.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:18 am 

yeah boys! :thatrocks: Great missions there. Looking forward to being in the interior soon, and seeing more of BC.

keep the stoke comin', mengz :doobie:

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:48 pm 

PowSlashingWigley wrote:
ya dave!!! wicked to see you back!!! congrats by the way on the new baby!! and being a rd father!!! hey lets get after it sometime. next time your gonna for a shred give me a holla!

For sure man. Just a heads up we usually start around 6am! If your game for that you're more than welcome.
SPLITRIPPIN wrote:
yeah boys! :thatrocks: Great missions there. Looking forward to being in the interior soon, and seeing more of BC.

keep the stoke comin', mengz :doobie:

Look forward to your return brother from another country :headbang:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:35 pm 

Uhhgggggg......

Nice summary of peaks to date. No mention of the mission though: Summit and snowboard down all of the peaks above 2300 meters in the Nelson Range. Three down, 24 to go!

Dave on South Sister:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:31 am 

Dave and Dastard.... I'll be a self naturalized BC'er, after I get down with my travels this winter... because BC really is it's own country :thatrocks:

should be about 4-5wks total time spent in BC when all said and done. I'm hoping to get HFT on board, and maybe even convince Bonez to travel for a late March mission up through the Kootenays and up to Shames.

keep the stoke comin' shred rippers :doobie:

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:29 pm 

dastarddownhill wrote:
Uhhgggggg......

Nice summary of peaks to date. No mention of the mission though: Summit and snowboard down all of the peaks above 2300 meters in the Nelson Range. Three down, 24 to go!

Sounds like a great mission. Way to get after it!