Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: tales of a cascadian weekend warrior
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:41 pm 

BGnight wrote:
ski cutting on belay. love it. need to do more of that...if someone else carries the rope of course ;)

oh, and you guys and your powder can suck it

Ben was literally at the end of my rope... that thing is barely 25', but perfect for just what we used it for. that, plus my harness, a few biners' and few cordelettes, are also part of my kit for making a rescue sled.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:42 pm 

jcocci wrote:
I'm within country but heading out of town tomorrow (Vegas, well Henderson actually) for the week. Enjoy if you head out.

oh yeah.. Vegas..

Now who the heck was it that went to europe so I don't bother asking them?!?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:26 pm 

by the time last friday rolled around, we had already been in the grips of a high pressure system for a couple days. afraid of blazing sun and 9000 foot free air freezing levels, i was uncertain where to go. in the end, i decided to take my two visiting friends on a scenic trip up to that mountain i've been staring at since i moved here--rainier.

maybe it was obvious, from all our map-reading and pointing, that none of us had ever been this close to that mountain before. but whatever the reason, a ski-carrying ranger approached us as we assembled our gear in the parking lot. "it sucks," he warned us of the conditions, claiming he had been on his way to muir but had been turned back by wind and ice. well we didn't exactly come here expecting pow, so we ignored the warning and set off in the howling wind and blazing sun.

no warning was going to keep us from our sledding!!

leaning into the wind...

loud conditions notwithstanding, we were all pretty stoked on the views.

the wind died down as we climbed and soon our destination was in sight.

skiers love "firm snow"!

the entrance to the nisqually chute was a little icy, but at least it wasn't full of frozen snowshoe tracks.

snowboarders love breakable crust!

we didn't make it out in time to catch the freerider premier, but we did get some sick sunset views...

now can we please go back to constant storms??

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:55 pm 

Nice meeting you up there!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:54 am 

nice Ben!!

Thanks for the beer buzz, shot of JD, and good dose of christian women firing off millions of rounds from auto machine guns friday eve.

Didn't make it very far before I realised I should be sleeping.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:26 pm 

it was a rough weekend here in the northwest. the very substance we worship took the lives of 4 devotees, and that has dampened the enthusiasm with which i usually attack my big pile of blurry pictures.

but it was still a fun weekend of camping and riding... and i'm still going riding this weekend. hell i might even write a tr in the meantime...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:01 pm 

bs. wrote:
it was a rough weekend here in the northwest. the very substance we worship took the lives of 4 devotees, and that has dampened the enthusiasm with which i usually attack my big pile of blurry pictures.

but it was still a fun weekend of camping and riding... and i'm still going riding this weekend. hell i might even write a tr in the meantime...

Were you the group of 3 up on the ridge to Tye last Saturday? I ended up backing off after a single lap as I was solo and spooked. And then Sunday, man....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:37 pm 

cascadianwarrior wrote:
Were you the group of 3 up on the ridge to Tye last Saturday? I ended up backing off after a single lap as I was solo and spooked.

well first off, sorry for stealing your handle to name my thread! i don't think i'd noticed you on this forum before (not that i pay that much attention, but i think i would have remembered your cool avatar if nothing else).

and 2nd, we were a little farther from the road than tye... and had a party of 4, so i doubt we were the ones you encountered! i'm sure i will run into you on the mountain one of these days; do you normally ride weekends?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:10 am 

No worries, I totally approve of the thread title (and thanks for the props on the avatar) :thatrocks: I do way more lurking around these parts than posting, although the TGR forums seems to get quite a bit of my attention. This is the first year that both of my touring partners aren't available to get out mid-week and with 2 kids in school I kinda need to be around on the weekends. I'm in Wenatchee so most of my time is spent @ Mission and I typically only get a few tours in a year (Diamondhead, Stevens Pass north areas). But it sounds like you're with a good crew who know what they are doing and like to have fun. If you ever see someone the size of a sasquatch in a 2-tone green Arc'Teryx jacket out there, give me a holler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:55 pm 

took a weekend off from the cave (mainly due to predicted warm temps and precip) but couldn't bear to take a weekend off from steven's pass! i managed to convince scott to head up to skyline/heather ridge for some easy roadside access. we explored around a bit, i made note of some nice features to revisit on some sunny photo-shoot day, we tired out the dog and then went back for a 4th lap. all good, all pow, and i dare say it was nice to end the day with a beer at the van instead of a 4 mile skin in the dark.

nice start to the morning.

scott fails to outrun his dog, kololo.

stopping for a dew in the rime cave.

mr alecapone is hard to recognize in a helmet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:34 pm 

i was in california for a party last week and decided to go a couple days early to check out tahoe. looks like i was a week early!

this area brings back some memories... (although i think they have more snow in them)

lots of not-buried features and snowshoe access combined for some fun mini golf.

jules wishes she had shorts.

for a minute i felt like my pack should be full of climbing gear.

there's always something cool about a lake run

and now what i really came for!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:56 pm 

had some friends visiting last weekend, so i was confined to the resorts. still plenty of pow to be had though...

spent friday hanging out at steven's pass with some locals... it may have been lift served but we still spent half an hour breaking trail in waist deep snow!

did i mention the snow was great? we hardly crossed a track all day.

my tahoe-riding friends were pretty happy with the conditions.

feels kinda weird to ride a solid board! not to worry, i'll get to break in my new split this weekend.

see y'all at the splitfest!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:04 pm 

all good things must come to an end, and my first winter in the cascades is no exception. i know that technically, winter ended a few weeks ago, but yet in my mind, nothing was different, for i was still chasing storms and seeking out cold winter snow.

but watching the storms get warmer and wetter, and knowing that i'll be out of town this coming weekend, i figured that last weekend was my final chance this season to ride top to bottom runs of true pow. so i did my best to capitalize.

friday seemed like a good day to check out crystal for the first time. and i was lucky enough to have a top notch tour guide.

the snow was deep, and the tracks were fresh...

...but soon we ventured outside the resort.

nothing concludes a full day of lift-riding better than a few hours of touring!

kyle is still not sick of riding pow.

i heard scott was planning to close up the surprise cave, so i bounced up to steven's pass saturday morning. man this place looks different after a season of snow!

digging deep to find the entrance.

the cave entrance tunnel grew with each storm. at some point it developed a right angle turn. shoulders and elbows are useful for traction on the way up.

after a nice lunch of rye whiskey there was time for an evening tour in the perpetual snowstorm that always starts as soon as i get to camp.

amazingly, the sun came out around 6pm, just as we were getting ready to ride.

it was tough breaking trail in the dense, sticky new snow, so we picked a line that was short and steep.

a clear night... good for drunkenly jumping off the top of "cave rock".

strange lawn art.

one last cave dinner.

and time for bed.

sunday morning... too much new snow to ride safely, and yesterday's skin track is buried. let's head home.

the new snow was so heavy that scott opted to split ski the exit descent.

we made it out by 1 and contemplated going for a lap or two on heather ridge... but opted to get a growler and go fire up the bbq instead. after all, winter's over...

it's been a good one... (at least to the extent that is possible while working full time). many thanks to all the great northwesterners that i've met this winter; i am forever grateful to all of you for showing me around your mountains and resorts. i look forward to calling the cascades my home and enjoying all the great spring alpine riding that is about to begin!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next