Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cell Phone with GPS...recommendations?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:15 pm 

I'm finally leaving the stone age and have decided to get a cell phone.....ideally I would like to get a phone with a decent GPS system as well so that I don't have to buy a separate GPS system which will only add more weight....I doubt that the phone GPS is as good as a dedicated GPS but can anyone recommend one that functions as a phone and you can still load in topo maps and locate your position in the backcountry if in a bind....

Post subject: Re: Cell Phone with GPS...recommendations?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:37 am 

GPS in phones still has a few problems.
1. Battery life, It will drain your battery in a matter of hours I am lucky to get 3 hours out of mine. And normally its more like 2
2. Most gps programs have to load the topo's over a data connection ex: you need to have cell service and data service in order to load the map.
3. You will have to pay for a data plan on the line which is anywhere from about 10-30 dollars monthly depending on carrier and phone selection.

With that being said, it's all dependent on your needs of the phone on what I would recommend. Do you want a good web browser, email support, music player, the fancy stuff? Or do you just need a phone, with some gps capability. Do you like keys? Or looking more for a touch screen only device.

I know there are a few gps programs that allow you to load the maps from an online source(google yahoo and a few others) and than save the maps on your phone basically eliminating problem 2 from above. But those are going to be harder to find, and many of them are pay for apps that you put on the phone. (garmin and other gps companies have programs like this but they are pricey)

So is the cell phone a viable option for a backcountry gps. In my situation... NO. Problem being in the backcountry here in utah, cell service is just way to spotty so i can never rely on it.
The other option is to get a program that will give you cords and have a printed topo to refrence that to. That option is always the best, switch on the phone, gps will locate you give you a general cord location, refrence it on the map, and shut off the phone saving battery life.

]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:48 am 

hey chase_e.....thanks for your input.....like i said i'm kinda in the stone age when it comes to cell phones so your comments are appreciated....

i think that your last suggestion is the direction that i'm going......i'll always still have a hardcopy map and compass but it would be nice if you could turn on the phone and it tracks your coordinates using the satellite based gps.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:09 am 

Iphone 3gs hands down, you can now load your cahed google earth data, ie satellite imagery right into the app. Everything else is real easy too! GPS is good, but its still phone gps. Get a rino 530hCx (hcx being key) its the high sensitivity gps chipset and blows everything else out of the water, plus you can find free topo maps for it online, and it has built in weather/gmrs radio.