Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Santa Barbara Fire Pics
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:14 am 

Attached are some picks from my rooftop of the fire raging in SB right now, think good thoughts for those that have lost or are in danger of losing their homes!

My family is safely away from the evacuation area (our house is a "warning" not a "mandatory"), save for me who will leave the moment they make it "mandatory", my splitty, and gear, and a couple surf boards already made their evacuation! :-)

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg11 ... rfer/fire/

Sorry I don't have time to post the individual links, I just wanted to get the album link up for you guys for now.

Post subject: Re: Santa Barbara Fire Pics
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:33 pm 

Jbay,

Glad you are still out of the zone. Really sorry to hear about the fire. This on the heels of last year's Tea House fire must have the front side pretty much all scarred. I use to MTB Jesusita all the time when I was going to school, so I know that area pretty well. Definitely thinking good thoughts for anyone with homes in harms way. Thanks for sharing the pics and stay safe.

JC

Post subject: Re: Santa Barbara Fire Pics
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:14 pm 

JC wrote:
Jbay,

Glad you are still out of the zone. Really sorry to hear about the fire. This on the heels of last year's Tea House fire must have the front side pretty much all scarred. I use to MTB Jesusita all the time when I was going to school, so I know that area pretty well. Definitely thinking good thoughts for anyone with homes in harms way. Thanks for sharing the pics and stay safe.

JC

JC, I WAS still outta the firezone, until about 6 pm yesterday, when it got mandatory. I was able to get some shots of the fire across foothill from so close you could feel the heat wafting over you!

I kinda know the way to dodge the roadblocks so I've checked on my place (and the neighbors') twice today, and while the fire got within 1500' from our house (the san roque bridge over stevens park), the firefighters with multiple engines from the bridge and individual effort from below, and one helicopter drop (I have NO idea how they pulled that off!) we able to miraculously stave it off. That was probably the biggest risk to santa barbara proper to date. Tonight could be interesting again, though my buddy working on the fire right now said he thinks our neigborhood will "probably" be OK at this point. The wind was gusting to 65mph last night in the hills, it was 90 degrees and 10% humidity at midnight in hope ranch!

The front country (other than patches) is almost completely burned out now. This fire has burned into and above/past the tea fire into the west fork of Cold springs canyon (as of last report, I'd be surprised if it doesn't get middle fork/tangerine falls too). The west flank (which used to be directly above my house in San Roque canyon near the Cater filtration plant/Lauro resevior) is now about to run into the burned area from the gap fire. I've got a good friend who's working that line right now, think safe thoughts for him tonight!

Some hiking trails will soon be forsaken for front country "routes"! Which in all honesty, along with the opportunity to watch it all regenerate in a few seasons is something I'm looking forward too! You know the peace sign up above the tunnel connector trail? Most local hikers speculate it was painted shortly after the coyote fire of '64 because the approach is so knarly now (pre-burn) that nobody could even get to the base of the cliff! Well, if it's not repainted within a year I'll be shocked...it'll be nice to preserve that little peace of SB dirtbag history!

The MTB is gonna be good too, I hope they're progressive about re-establishing the trails with some new twists!

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes, I posted some more shots in the album.