Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mtn bike question
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:25 am 

I've been looking for a decent "cheap" mtn bike lately and have a hook up on one right now. I know exactly penis about biking since i've been outta the game for so long now but the dr tells me not to run anymore so i need to do something and mtn biking seems like fun.

Anyway, I work in a small ski resort town and they are willing to sell me one of their bikes for $250. It's a Giant Yukon 2008, not the fx full suspension one, but it has disc brakes and front suspension - all I really need at this point in time. I did some research online and that seems like a good price but I wanted to get an idea if anyone here knows the bike and if it's any good? I'm not doing crazy stuff and don't know if I'll even like biking but I need to workout somehow and can't run right now. Worth the price?

One advantage to being tall is that this bike was really never rented out as it didn't fit anyone. There are very few scratches on it and it looks to be in good shape. They will do a full tune up and give me a better seat, minor I know but it's something.

Post subject: Re: Mtn bike question
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:53 am 

The Yukon is a great bike for you get started on. It retails around $550.00, so that's a great price for a barely used rental bike. It has the basic necessities, mechanical disc brakes, 100mm. travel fork, aluminum frame and decent components.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:08 pm 

split.therapy wrote:
The Yukon is a great bike for you get started on. It retails around $550.00, so that's a great price for a barely used rental bike. It has the basic necessities, mechanical disc brakes, 100mm. travel fork, aluminum frame and decent components.

Thanks. I pretty much figured that I was gonna get it but I wanted to get some final input before I made the leap. I'll throw up some pics when I get it (prolly monday).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:19 pm 

That bike has two knobby tired wheels and it rolls - you are good to go! Anyone that has mtb'd for a while started on something way less than that bike that costed a lot more.

If you find you really enjoy mountain biking, and that includes just ripping sweet single track with no crazy hucking, you'll likely discover you want something more down the road. At that point you could easily sell the Yukon for what you paid and put that toward you new dream ride.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:39 pm 

Looks like I'm picking it up on Monday for 2 bills not 250....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:18 am 

NICE!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:59 pm 

You cannot go wrong with that. Even the scuzziest disc brakes on a dirty, skanky, beater, with an ass-hatchet saddle, and 1 inch of travel in the fork, will be good to go. You'll upgrade when the time is right.