Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how the real world sees splitboards...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:12 am 

came across these comments regarding the use of splitboards

Backcountry Splitboard?
by taffyjonah on Mon 27th Jul 9:12pm

Has anyone split their own board or purchased a backcountry splitboard?

A mate from Canadia was talking about them and they sound a pretty cool concept but are they any good?taffyjonah

Member for: 1 year 8 monthsPosts: 14Joined: Fri 21/Mar/08 12:00am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Backcountry Splitboard?
by j2hyde on Mon 27th Jul 9:34pm

I had one a few years back. Can't say it really floated my boat. They have bugger all lateral rigidity and so are really only good for dry powder - they suck at hardpack and crud busting, and the transition from uphill to downhill is fiddley and time consuming. If the snow is actually dry powder the last thing you want to do is take your board off, pull it to bits and put it back together again (vole style), while you're postholing thigh deep and trying not to drop stuff in the snow. And that's before all the moving bits get jammed up with snow or frozen (burton style). Also you need super fat skins which aren't cheap, and they suck to skin traverse with due to the board width and lack of lateral support in snowboard boots.

People skinning on splitboards take a different line to skiers due to the board width and lack of edge ability, so if you're out with skiers you might need to cut a new skin track (=suck) and then they get shitty cause they have to wait for you all the time. You would also take a different line to other boarders on showshoes.

Splitboards are of some use in a place like Canada where there is heaps of low angle stuff to skin, and you could hook up with other splitboarders so you move at the same speed and take the same lines - though even in Canada they're pretty rare. Unless you plan to hit up the tasman glacier or something I don't see much point having one in NZ. The terrain here is too steep and often windpacked or wet/frozen. You can get around the club field backcountry here just as fast bootpacking as you can with skins - and that's on modern AT gear.

A pair of MSR snowshoes will make you much happier if you plan to do backcountry daytrips here. And if you plan multi day trips just get some AT gear or teles (and thighs of steel) like everyone else does. Or save up and use a chopper.j2hyde

"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 4 years 2 monthsPosts: 5,037Joined: Fri 23/Sep/05 12:00am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by dented on Tue 28th Jul 6:56am

Yeah I had a play on one in Colorado, j2hyde is right. There is too much compromise around the ability to split. Snowshoes if youre hiking powder, but keep your big stick.

Its one of those things that sounds great as a concept, but isnt so full of win in the real world.dented

Member for: 4 years 1 monthPosts: 12,090Joined: Mon 3/Oct/05 12:00amLocation: Tauranga

by mundi on Tue 28th Jul 12:30pm

Third on the fail.

Looked into getting one here, but further investigation revealed those sentiments mentioned above.
Much more enjoyable to ride a board meant for the terrain than a compromise such as the split board is.
Pair of snowshoes are better and cheaper

end quote... strange but i do not feel the need to tell anyone else how splitboarding has evolved.... :scratch:

Post subject: Re: how the real world sees splitboards...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:42 am 

That's not the real world...just a couple dudes on the internet. ;)

Yep, hardly worth the effort trying to convince these guys otherwise. They have their opinion and they're entitled to that.

Personally I just think they're misinformed.

If they're basing their experience of splits on firm snow due to home splits (generally sloppy unless Monk151 made it) than they would probably be pleasantly surprised how much more stable a production split is. Were they using Sparks? How many days/trips did they make? You gotta put your time in and learn stuff before it all starts clicking. Its funny when noobs bitch about skinning or transitioning when they've only done it a handful of times. It takes a couple seasons minimum to really become efficient at both. If you dont put the time in you're not going to get the results you would otherwise.

What a few dudes (kids) think isn't going to make a difference on anything. What makes a difference is the users own experience using a split. I would never go back to using slowshoes and I will never stop using a splitboard. They are just way too useful for my needs. To each their own.

Consider yourself blessed ghaniman for being a NZ rider that took the plunge and saw the benefits yourself firsthand. :headbang:

Your best reply would be to post zero words in that thread and just post some kick ass pics of yours from your splitting trips. Let the pics speak for themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:57 am 

Its also worth considering that many folks who fail at splitboarding likely don't a have a raw love of the winter backcountry separate and apart from the shredding.
I've done three trips this season that have had little, or no ridding, or skinning, but the experiences were still awesome because I just love being in it.
When one is used to the convenience of riding the cable couch and getting twenty+ runs in a day its easy to bash the splitting experience because it seems hard in that context. The next illogical conclusion is to blame the gear.

It's just a few less folks in the BC, and it's fine by me :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:56 pm 

Well put, Snurfer. My own split is a diy but it rides just like it did before I split it. I liked the comment about the low angle slopes in Canada. Not many of those in my backyard!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:34 pm 

Those dude will see Deeper next year and will be back on the bandwagon buying splits

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:57 pm 

i was riding a chair with my split a couple years back with a father daughter (I hope) combo. her on a board, him on skis. me not saying anything, dude notices my board and points it out to his daughter telling her that she needs to get one. she states, "those dont work" I just smiled. :thumpsup:

the best though is when you ski (two plank) up to the lift line and some one gets a good look at your "skis". works best with hard boots, the looks are priceless.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:57 am 

I love that look... Priceless...From a hard booter :headbang:

Deep snow and surfin the blue blue, I dream.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:50 pm 

Hahaha that is awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:03 pm 

Quote:
They have bugger all lateral rigidity

bcrider wrote:
That's not the real world...just a couple dudes on the internet. ;)

That's not the real world...it is New Zealand. I'm picturing the guys from Flight of the Conchords discussing splitboards. :wink:

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com