Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Subaru Forester Diesel
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:46 am 

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=131970

So what do you guys think. Providing they can bring it up to speed on the tier2bin5 emissions (and be able to supply urea for the emissions controls), this would be a sweet ski car (37 mpg combined, 650 miles/tank!). I noticed the '09 Acura TSX doesnt need a special urea tank, which would be nice, but its a sedan, and not AWD.

If they can get this figured out, Ill be buying one in a heartbeat, or better yet, the Legacy Wagon 2.0D...

http://www.subaru.at/models/Legacy-Outback-Diesel/intro.aspx

Post subject: Re: Subaru Forester Diesel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:27 am 

I think those are freekin' rad lil' wagons. I've been coveting a diesel 'Yota Hi-lux for quite a while.
Are you planning on importing one or just really, really hoping for a US release?
If you're going the import route, care to share some beta on the particulars of getting one into the states?
Didn't realize there was an aftermarket urea injection system.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:42 pm 

I would just like them to make one Subie that gets seriously good gas mileage.

Doesn't much matter to me if it's diesel, hybrid, diesel/hybrid, or rancid crisco.

There are a bunch of cool diesels for sale across the pond.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:58 am 

Subaru would have to add the urea tank before it would meet US 50 state emissions. I got an email from a Subaru rep saying hopefully 2010. I hope my old car can hang on for another year or two...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:25 pm 

The 2010 target is both encouraging and disappointing at the same time. It sounds like they're hitting the ground running, trying to get it over here in what is, in effect, the next model year. Disappointing in the sense that the darn things are here already.
Kinda like Ford selling selling the 65mpg diesel Fiesta Econetic in England but not here, ostensibly because Americans won't buy them.
But US automakers don't have to pay attention to the market anymore, just wait for their bailout :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:44 pm 

Diesel would be solid. Rumor has it VW is bringing their BlueTec diesel to the US this year (next year?) as well. With gas prices recently being slashed, and America's short memory, I wonder if diesel tech will be delayed coming to our shores yet again....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:26 pm 

I can't wait to see some smaller diesel engines in proven vehicles like the forester. Although the V-10 diesel Touareg would be an absolute monster in deep snow. :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
I agree this dip in prices could sideline a lot of decent projects, another one being the Dodge 5.0 L in the 2010 1500

Hopefully my forester can't hear me talking about the dark diesel mistress...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:54 pm 

What good is great gas mileage or a strong diesel engine when you don't have the ground clearance to handle burly 4x4 roads in springtime or two feet of snow-filled trailheads in winter? I used to own a Subaru and let me tell you they are great cars, but they are anything BUT an "off-road" vehicle.

What Subaru needs to do is produce a light TRUCK to rival Toyota's "Taco" and they'll do just well by the U.S. market.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:04 pm 

thats why you have both. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:12 pm 

^ That's why we're running the prius/train/4x4 combo at home. In hopes of averaging out to a regular car.

PS The Subaru Forester is the Bentley Continental of cars, to a lesbian. The deep-fry diesel version, especially. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But you will be throwin' the same-car wave out to a lot of sisters who prefer to pair purple turtlenecks with wooden jewelry. I think the mullet icon would now be appropriate. :headbang:

PPS I lived in the Mission during it's most lesbian phase, so just trust me one this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:13 am 

Ironic. You're the second person who recently tried to explain this lesbian connection to Subarus. I don't get it. A Subaru isn't a very "butch" car. I would think that an open-top jeep with no doors and big mud tires would fit the stereotype better.

Its funny to see demographics stereotyped to cars. Cheech and his low-rider put a label on Latinos. Blacks have the Caddy, and I'm proud to say I've represented the white college-boys with spikey blonde hair cruising around in Camaros in the past. :rock:

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:59 am 

nerka wrote:
I've been coveting a diesel 'Yota Hi-lux for quite a while.

I wish I had that motor in my Toyota. Did you install it yourself?

All the versions with the 2.0D Subarus look great to me. It would really suck if we dont get them here eventually. Kickass links, thanks for sharing.

I gave my engine supplier a call to see if he can get his hands on these motors yet. Im doubting, but you never know. It usually takes a few years to aquire jdm/edm motors after a new production run.

Subaru is awesome for swapping/partsharing for those (if any) who like to build thier own creations. Would be kickass to install the 2.0D in an old Forester with some STi suspension/brakes and maybe even the tranny/center diff if gearing allowed. Would be a funass little car.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:58 pm 

luca_brasi wrote:
...You're the second person who recently tried to explain this lesbian connection to Subarus. I don't get it...

You should hunt through a Subaru forum sometime. I dont' know what it is but they all refer to Subarus as cars for gays - even though most of the members on Subaru forums are just the new-age version of Camaro owners trying to get 500 HP out of their 4 cyl rice burner.

I love my Subaru. I love women. But I also love diversity so long live whatever it takes for people to live side by side in harmony.