Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking Central American suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:31 pm 

Looking for your suggestions, off-topic question, for you Central American wanderers:

What is yr favorite, unspoiled yet gringo-accepting, funky yet not poverty-stricken, magical little town, specifically from Mexico to Panama, that you've been to, but all the tool tourons haven't overrun yet? Where it's not completely about tourism, or if it is, at least it's not egregious to my sensibilities. It would have at least 3, but not more than 12 restaurants. There would be at least one "choice-based" action sport activity (canyoneering/surf/river running/sea kayak/snorkel/scuba/scooter rental) facilitator in the vicinity. (Bungie jumping/zip lines/being pulled in rainbow-painted balloon behind a boat do not count, as you are a passive participant, and actually earn the demerit points for the destination.) Pluses for animals in the streets and being able to buy fish from the guy in the boat.

For example, I liked El Zonte, El Salvador. I really love Santa Catalina, Panama. Bocas del Toro, Panama is a bit too big. Antigua Guatamala is nice but too big. Cabo did not agree with me at all.

It can be up to eight hours drive from an international airport.

Any suggestions appreciated, If you tell me I promise I won't ruin it for you if I go there.