Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dynafit adaptor plate
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:05 am 

I had been thinking about dynafits for a while now, but been anti holes in my boards I was not willing to make the jump. Then spark R & D came out with their adaptor plate and I knew I had to give it a try.

The set up was relatively easy. The plate it very thin so I first set the toe piece up off the board, with the bolts that came with the kit, just to have a look. Three of the four bolts surounding the pivot point threaded in fine, though there was ½ a thread shallow of flush, and the third bolt would not catch at all. The single bolt in front would only thread with out the washer. So I ended up buying longer bolts and cutting them down to length. Then applied a liberal amount of blue lock tight.

I have been using hard boots and the voile mountain plate for over a year. When I bought the Spark dynafit set up I also bought a new split board. Going from a Prior Khyber to a Prior Backcountry. The reason I mention then it that the Backcountry has a much narrower nose, making a narrower skinning profile, which means it’s lighter and I have to break way less of a track.

that out of the way. The comparison goes like this. I do notice a bit less weight on my feet, and I find the movement much more natural and efficient on the skin track. I’m not sure it’s made me faster, but I’m sure it’s made bigger days, when your slogging one foot after the other, easier.

I think that having your plate bindings in your pack makes transitions easier. As long as you remember to put them back in you pack at the bottom. Something that always worries me.

I’m one of those splitter who will two plank down a lot of short pitches, And will ski lots of long mellow roads and meadow skipping cut blocks to get back to the truck. So far I’ve done a couple logging road ski/sled tows out. The thin plates have me a bit worried about being able to stand up to this sort of abuse. I have slightly bent one of the plates, but I think part of that might be that one of my custom cut bolts is a bit too long.

Over all I find two planking down much easier with the dynafits. Moving the pivot point from the ball of my foot to in front of the toe means I am able to put my weight forward on the cuff of my boot with out feeling like I’m going to tip over. And there does seem to be improved edge control. The combination of which makes carving turns down logging roads comes much more naturally.

I would like to see the adaptor plate be a bit thicker at the stress points, (or carbon fiber) for piece of mind more then any thing else. And it’s not cheap, spark adaptor, ski crampons and dynafit toe pieces all came out to around $400cnd.

If you like to cover ground and shred big vertical on a split, I would not even hesitate to go this route. If your main focus is slack country lines, sled laps and jibbing, stick with the soft boots.

Post subject: Re: dynafit adaptor plate
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:41 am 

This are my PE HD Adapters .... with insert for dynafit m5
Why PE HD ???? it like a littel flex .

i think the spark adap. is very good - will send me for 6 mont s pictures ... the are made in alu . his setup is flater than me 8 mm - i test the alu for this in 3,5 mm is to stiffy . and make the board harder it s my mine .....

400 Dollar is not a big price - dynafit is the hot point the half ( 200 )

i build this set up 2 times - but no one changes this set up
from dynafit back to volie :scratch:

Burton