Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Worn pins and holes in my boots.

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worn pins and holes in my boots.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:21 pm 

So after half a season on the Sparks I figured I'd share my thoughts and concerns so far.

1. Worn pins. Where the pins meet the touring brackets the pins have worn down about 1mm or so creating a bit of play in the setup while in touring mode. Not much of a concern so far, but the guys I go out with most days (mrash) has the Sparks as well and his pins have worn about double what mine have.

2. Holes in my boots. This isn't so much of a Spark problem as it is a Bent Metal problem. It seems that the slot for the nut that attaches the highbacks to the inside of the heel cup creates a sharp contact point that wears against the boot over time.

Other than that they function pretty much like snowboard bindings. The inability to move the ankle straps higher up on the boot is kind of annoying and creates for a bit of a sloppy ride on hardpack, but then again, I didn't start splitboarding so that I could ride hardpack...

Post subject: Re: Worn pins and holes in my boots.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:17 am 

I have simmilar wear after a half season of use. Admitedly I have been hiking a fair bit. I bet that is the what is allowing for the little bit of wiggle room that I was discussing in my review. I will take a closer look when I'm at the shop this afternoon. Hmm perhaps, new pins in the near future I guess?!? I wonder why the Voile pins didn't run the same wear?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:44 pm 

Looking at my pins that have around 60-70 days on them I have slightly less wear. You might want to check your touring brackets for burs that may be causing the extra wear. There have been reports that Voile recently retired a "punch" they use for the brackets that was creating the burs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:22 pm 

I have similar experience... maybe i should call up voile for replacements touring brackets... I've filled down the holes early season and the pins go in without any problems... but if this is unusual wear... then Voile should know!

Thanks for the report!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:10 pm 

Well, I looked at my voile pins that have probably 60 or so days on them and they have almost no visible wear. While the spark pins have only 20 or so days on them.

It's not really a big deal. When I bought the bindings I knew what I was getting into; riding a brand new, relatively untested product. I'm just trying to give some feedback and hopefully assist in identifying potential problems in some otherwise amazing binders.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:26 am 

Matt a.d. wrote:
Well, I looked at my voile pins that have probably 60 or so days on them and they have almost no visible wear. While the spark pins have only 20 or so days on them.

It's not really a big deal. When I bought the bindings I knew what I was getting into; riding a brand new, relatively untested product. I'm just trying to give some feedback and hopefully assist in identifying potential problems in some otherwise amazing binders.

Yeah I hear ya man.. the product is stellar. I figured the spirit behind the whole project and this forum was to offer feedback. Hence the Name Spark "R&D" research and development if I'm not mistaken. I dunno.

Anyways, yeah.. I will definately get simmilar wear on my pins. I rode ALOT with the Voile Pins and they are unscarred. Once again, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade the ignitions in for the world, and I strongly recommend the baseplate to anyone clocking miles on their board.

By far the finest setup I could have dreamed of!! I bet it will only get better. Thanks
Wil!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:13 pm 

I have the same wear in the boot happening, and this is with relatively new boots that have maybe 10 days on them. This is however with the older Ignition I. On that model, the bolts you referred to are not recessed at all, so I'm sure that's the problem. I would have thought it would have been improved with the better bolt design used for the Restraint highbacks, but I guess not.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:22 pm 

Matt: what size boots are you riding? If they're pinched hard in there you can attach those heel loops on the outside of the baseplates rather than on the insides so there's more room.

As far as the pin wear goes I think we get more wear than the Voile pins because our pins rotate in the touring brackets as they attach to the bindings, with the Voile setup the pins don't rotate much in the brackets, rather the tracks rotate around the pins. Down the road I'm going to do a Spark specific touring bracket with bushings to alleviate this wear, I'll hopefully have something to show in the fall on that end. Check for burrs and ovalling on the brackets and when the pins are ready for replacing it might be a good idea to replace the brackets too. Drop us a line and we'll get you sorted out.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:50 am 

I'm riding a size 11 driver x but I've seen the same, though not quite as pronounced, wear on a size 9 driver x. I tried mounting the heelcup on the outside on Sunday. It seems like a better fit and definitely didn't bind as much on the boots so I think that might be a good fix. I'm sort of worried, however, that it might be putting more pressure on the side rails on the baseplate. I guess we'll see though.

I'll get a hold of you after the season about pins. I think they'll last me the rest of the year.