Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:12 pm 

Quote:
DFT: did you have loctite on the hardware that fell off? Bent Metal had breakage issues with that part of the strap last year, so they thickened them up. I guess they figured the bolt was fine, although I imagine they are getting hella calls about hardware falling off, since it's falling off for a bunch of splitters who only get in and out a few times a day.

Nope on the loctite, I didn't have any. but def feel better with the longer stainless replacement anyway. It seems if the bolt extends the outer part of the nylock at least a 2-3 thread turns the hardware seems to hold fine. Flush with the nylock seems to be where loosening to loss is a possibility - the loctite solution on shorter bolt is something I'd rather not think about after the failure. done and done.

Quote:
Tightening down all bolts/nuts should be done with any new piece of gear.

Indeed and in my case this was done and even checked and re-tightened on subsequent rides. For me a longer bolt is a more satisfying fix to this issue, but then again jmo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:45 pm 

Will wrote:
SanFran: are you using the voile crampons with the bindings? Did you have to modify anything?

No... With the Voile slider plate setup I didn't like use the Voile leash partly because you have to use a longer pin with the Voile crampons. I didn't like having to unleash the shorter pin or let it dangle to use the longer pin with the crampons. I don't think it's possible to use the Voile crampon with your setup without a modification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:01 pm 

Ok SF, that makes a little more sense. How often do you use your crampons? Did you do that randonerd race?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:17 pm 

Pretty often. Sometimes in California spring arrives briefly in Feb. and crampons are the EZ way to deal with those crud/dust on crust situations. They also work great for those impossible hard snow traverses. The Voile crampons are such a PITA to install you have to balance that against the advantage they provide. Meanwhile JimW is always just dropping his Burton crampons in without without a fuss whenever he wants them. That would rule.

This stuff called snow started falling from the sky and I forgot all about the big rando race. :oops: :oops: Maybe next year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:18 pm 

Does anyone in southern california have a pair?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:33 am 

Just received a box from Spark R&D and there's not a bit of duct tape on it.

These things looks sweet. I'm fired up. Thanks Will!

Now can you make it stop raining here? (pounding desk with fists)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:38 pm 

ctowles wrote:
so how about this...bungee cord for the leash. it streches enough to get the pin in, then pulls all the slack out itself

Well how about bungee leashes indeed? I guess I had been staying away from bungee stuff because it's not as tough as the climbing accessory cord, but I think it would stay tough enough over time, but will probably lose elasticity. Since it costs about $.09 for this material from McMaster, no big deal if it has to be replaced every season or two.

The D ring is a little large for my taste, I'd find something smaller for production, that's what I could find quickly locally. What do y'all think? Thanks for the idea Mr. Towles.

And if you think the female toe strap adjuster thingy is too bulky like dishwasherdave you can cruise on down to the hardware store and get yourself a M5-0.8 x 10mm stainless steel panhead screw and swap it out for the adjuster:

I didn't really understand bent metal having a tool free adjustment for the toe strap and not for the heel strap, but all designers have their reasons.

Have a good weekend everyone, go get some freshies!

Post subject: Will, here is my input on the bungee leash
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:46 pm 

Will, here is my input, but take into consideration I'm new to splitting, a jackass, and an all around blow hard.

Since you guys like options:
A: Simplifying the leash without the D ring by looping it through and using some sort of shrink tubing. That shit is killer tough unless some gargantuan split geek pulls unnecessarliy hard. This same shrink wrap could be used on the end of the pin with it adhering the pin to bungee leash.

B: Tie a knot in the bungee at the binding sidewall after passing it through a hole the diameter of the cord. Tie a knot in the bungee at the retention pin after passing it through a hole in the pin. One single strand of bungee, two holes, two knots. The weight of the bungee will be offset by the weight loss of the two holes.

Shit everyone, why are you taking Will's premo production and getting him to commercialize it...I thought spiltting was all about personal touches and innovation. We are going to let Will the Innovation man standardize us all until we all look the same? I for one will recommend some darn awful electric neon bungee cord for all of your bindings...so we can see you all coming or going.

Anyway, the general vibe I read is KILLER SPARKS SETUP with a tweak here or there. Amen to progress.

Damn I'm jonesing to get a ride in, I'm too many days stuck at home or in the office with no one to go out and play with.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:20 am 

My two favorite quotes lately:

brian wrote:
Does anyone in southern california have a pair?

Dang brian's talking some trash! You southern CA guys going to take that?

Mumbles wrote:
Will, here is my input, but take into consideration I'm new to splitting, a jackass, and an all around blow hard.

Thanks for all you said Mumbles, I can always appreciate someone who doesn't consider their opinions facts. Obviously from the discussion above, one size does not fit all. BTW someone called me this week wondering where they could find size 17 snowboard boots! Dang!

On your thoughts above: I gave the Dring a shot in the 20 minutes I took to proto this to limit wear and abrasion on the shock cord. Originally I clamped the cord with the bent metal u bolt, but this all but cut the cord. I would recommend something like heat shrink tubing if you're going to use one of the binding holes, I think that the edges in there would eat the cord over time. A single strand could work as well. I really enjoy discussing all of these options with everybody online here. As a designer you get a pretty thick skin for people's feedback, and you guys are great at offering suggestions when you don't like something. Bring it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:22 am 

You should make the pin an electro-magnet that requires a few D batteries, that ought to solve this highly complex problem :lol:

I'll be taking the ignitions out tomorrow for their maiden voyage on Berthoud pass if any CO folks want to join me. I might even let you try them out.

Greenish tacoma w/ topper, I'll be rolling solo, light blue jkt and tight black eider pants :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:26 pm 

Actually, to be strong enough I think you'd have to tote a car battery in your backpack, but it's all in the name of performance. :wink:

In other news, I've got about 20 pairs of complete bindings left, more info here:
http://sparkrandd.typepad.com/the_spark_rd_blog/

I've notified the next 40 people in line via email, hopefully I'm not ending up in your junkmail. Here's the current waiting list:
http://sparkrandd.typepad.com/the_spark_rd_blog/waiting-list.html

I hope you're all out splittin' today. I'm at work, but only because I'll be off exploring with lewmt, dentalflosstycoon, nomad, telegirl, and some other stragglers later next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:51 pm 

email and paypal info sent - I want a set!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:38 pm 

See my post on "what's in your backpack" and see that I carry a marine battery just in case I have to give my ticker a jolt after a heart stopping encounter with an avalanche, tough skin up, or heavenly epic ride down. You mean I can use that the electromagnetically keep all my binding hardware in place? Sweet!

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next