Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:32 pm 

Stoked.

Thanks Will !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:50 pm 

Those red ones look bad ass - Will can I trade in my Black ones?

Whuh?

Rode my Mojo 171 in area today for a few hours with the Sparks.

Heavy strap usage on my back foot did cause the loss of a nylock on the toe strap. Found out the reason for loss of hardware mainly on the toe straps: Two different ladder widths on each side yet same bolt length. The adjustable side is thicker plastic yet mervin uses the same length bolt - thus the nylock nut doesn't get to thread down far enough to keep it from backing off. The mervin bolt does thread into the the nylon bite of the nut but apparently not enough. These were the two nuts consistently backing off for me - the thicker toe strap on each foot.

I just happened to buy some stainless back up bolts and nuts yesterday. I erred on the side of a bit of extra length on my bolts and I think the longer bolt and a bit of loctite will permanently solve this issue. Really tho, I don't even think the loctite is nec. as all my bolts of decent length (~1/8" of bolt extending beyond nylock) had been holding fine.

Edit: didn't see lewmt had addressed a solution to the wider toe strap issue already - anyway that's was what I did. I did notice the stainless metric nuts I picked up had a bit more beef of nylon/steel compared to mervin's and after installing felt I had a more trustworthy fastener than the mervin stock part for the toe strap fwiw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:32 pm 

Hey rms56
I live in revy so if you are looking to go for a tour drop me a PM.

(Mostly I just want to ogle your bindings because I havent seen any in real life yet :lol:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:18 pm 

Quote:
We ran into lifelinksplit (who doesn't work at lifelink and like me looks like a hippy) and bridgerhippy (who does work at lifelink and doesn't really look like hippy) and their really stoked out friend on his first day on fritchis.

that's some funny(but true...) shit. The bindings were great and the ride down on soft boots felt oh so good. Our buddy hadn't skied in almost 4 yrs and was more than stoked to be out in the backcountry, it made ellis feel a lot better than it was(don't get me wrong it was pretty good that day). Always good to see someone gettin stoked on gettin back on the horse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:33 pm 

Hey Robbieguns. Thanks for the invite. Thats a big neighborhood that you play in and local knowledge is always gold.....especially with the snowpack the way it is right now. Hows the out of bounds access out of RMR? I figure it will take me a few days to get my legs goin and there is no substitute for skinning up and trail braking. Ill PM u

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:02 am 

WILL, YOU ROCK!!!
:thatrocks: :thatrocks: :thatrocks: :thatrocks:
I finally had a chance to install my new sparkers. They are great!! Very light and everything went together perfectly. I couldn't be more stoked on them.

I flipped the nut on the outer toe strap per Lewmt to give the nylon more travel. The other nuts seemed fine.

I have been going leashless with my pins like bcr because the leashes bugged me and also I needed to swap in the bigger pins when I used crampons. But this seems like a nice design so I'm gonna give it a chance. I'm riding slightly duck now, so its no problem. Thanks Will! I can't wait for the drop-in crampons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:55 am 

How are folk's sparks doing in terms of sliding on and off the pucks. I know Will said there is a break in period. Any additional tricks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:42 am 

bcrider wrote:
How are folk's sparks doing in terms of sliding on and off the pucks. I know Will said there is a break in period. Any additional tricks?

Mines is smoove like buttah. But I did spend a bit of time on the set-up to make it this way though. No sanding or grinding was required, other than what I had to do to the heel lifter block in tour mode to avoid some binding.

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:36 pm 

The sliding on/off is spectacular, I have about 8 days on them and love these things. These are the shizz if you like soft boots/straps. Tightening down all bolts/nuts should be done with any new piece of gear. Once I tightened everything, I've had no issues.
Thanks Will and Spark :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:15 pm 

karma surf wrote:
The sliding on/off is spectacular

I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I'll try putting different pucks on.

Post subject: large boots
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:42 pm 

What is the largest size boot somehow has used the bindings with? I'm trying to decide whether they'll work with my size 12.5 malamutes or to wait for large size bindings.

Post subject: Re: large boots
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:08 pm 

brian wrote:
What is the largest size boot somehow has used the bindings with? I'm trying to decide whether they'll work with my size 12.5 malamutes or to wait for large size bindings.

I wear size 12 Malamutes and the Ignitions work fine. I adjusted the heal cup and straps to accomodate the largest set-up possible. I don't know about a 12.5 though. The ankle strap on one of my boots is a pretty close fit.

BTW-Rode the bindings yesterday, everything worked great and had a blast. They slide on and off the pucks without a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:26 pm 

HFT: the red binders look sweet on your black board!

DFT: did you have loctite on the hardware that fell off? Bent Metal had breakage issues with that part of the strap last year, so they thickened them up. I guess they figured the bolt was fine, although I imagine they are getting hella calls about hardware falling off, since it's falling off for a bunch of splitters who only get in and out a few times a day.

SanFran: are you using the voile crampons with the bindings? Did you have to modify anything?

BCR: a little sanding makes a huge difference if your pucks are brand new. Check out the setup tips: http://sparkrandd.typepad.com/the_spark_rd_blog/splitboard-setup-tips.html

I designed these around the dimensions of pucks that are already broken in since I want them to stay tight for life.

Brian: I'm not sure about the salomons, but sometimes when they do a halfsize boot they make a slightly lower volume liner and put it in a fullsize shell, i.e. you may have a 12.5 liner in a 12 shell. Conversely, you may have a higher volume liner in a size 13 boot. Or maybe salomon goes through the trouble of making size 12.5 shells. What I do know for sure is that a full foot size is 1/4", and a half size is 1/8". Since Eco is saying that his 12's work fine, chances are yours will too, I wouldn't expect the girth of the boot to change much with a half size. Measure your boot and compare to the dimensions of the boot at the top of this thread. Maybe there's someone with a set in your neighborhood, I'm shipping sets everyday :D

Glad to hear you're all happy with the ride dudes!

Still working on the spare pins thing. The people that make them said it might take 4-5 weeks to get another batch. I'm trying to light a fire under their ass, in that amount of time I may be making them myself.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next